Thoughts on Grosjean and Haas after 3 races? | FerrariChat

Thoughts on Grosjean and Haas after 3 races?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Robb, Apr 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Can I get some thoughts on Grosjean after the first three races? Do you see his stock going up next few races or was the China performance a more likely indicator for the year?

Thanks.

Robb

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Good question......

They certainly came out of the gate flying in the first couple of races. Appeared to regress a little this past W/E.

I'm not sure about him at all TBH. I want to like him, but to me at least something's not quite 'right'. He's certainly quick on occasion, but other times he's nowhere.

I'm still optimistic for the team. Hopefully, once they settle into the European season grind they'll be OK. Flyaways are kinda weird.

Cheers,
    Ian

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I wonder how much China was an experience issue - Grosjean did something like second fastest lap of the race on super soft which suggests their failings yesterday were more strategic

4. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I won't be surprised if they start challenging for the midfield soon.

5. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    They got lucky with safety cars etc for the first two races. But then again a bit unlucky in China. I think firmly mid pack around 9-13th is where they are at with grosjean but guitteriez isn't capable of those places

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I think they're a mid-pack team now, but I doubt they have the funding and expertise to keep up as the teams get better through the year. They need to replace Gut with a better driver.

7. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Too early to really tell.

8. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    This was the first race with all cars finishing.

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Dallara - Ferrari seem to have made a decent enough car, the Haas parts seem to let it down on too many occasions though, especially the front wing!

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    GRO is OK, GUT not so much, IMO.

11. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    LOL you crack me up.

12. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I am impressed with Haas/Grosjean so far. I find Grosjean is maturing, where he's not banging the car up all of the time like he did earlier in his career. I expect to see some very impressive results over the year.

13. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Even if they didn't score a point the rest of the year (unlikely) I think they've accomplished more than most people thought they would.

Overall I imagine the other pointless teams and McLaren will improve and make it a tough fight in the midfield for points the rest of the way. One article today stated that Renault are now deciding if they want to pull the plug on development in 2016 so that they could focus more on the big changes in 2017. Surely all the midfield and back teams will go one way or the other on this strategy, and behind Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, and Williams we'll have very wide swings in performance the rest of this year.

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Haas has scored enough points to have free transport next year, I believe. It can only get a few points here and there this season. But the start of the season was impressive, I found.

Sauber is the new tail-ender, with Manor just in front, it seems.

McLaren is the big unknown.

But since Renault is onboard, the Enstone team (ex-Lotus, if you follow me) seems to go backwards. Maybe they miss Grosjean. Magnussen doesn't seem to "lead" that team, and Palmer is just learning the ropes. None of them is Toro Rosso material it seems!!!

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Can you really rate Gutierrez though? He hasn't had a solid car except for yesterday, and even then it had problems before the race.

16. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Am I the only one that heard the radio call requesting to retire the car with around two laps to go, because it had been undrivable the whole race, and was told to hang in there? Dunno what problem was, but it sounded like they were carrying an issue.

Not sure why Ferrari chose GUT either. I remember him being quite unremarkable at Sauber against teammates and I don't think he's bringing any money to Haas.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    To early to tell anything yet.

18. indy-25

indy-25 Karting

Nov 19, 2006
    I think the car couldn't use the tires correctly in China like they could in the first two races. In practice and qualifying they were another second or so off the pace. If they really struggle Russia i'll be worried. GUT is struggling with the car and in general. They will have updates coming.

Overall, I think they will end up 7th in the constructors with GRO in the top 12. Ahead of Renault, Manor, Sauber and Force India. Part of me thinks they could get ahead of Honda, but the Honda will come together as the season goes on.

19. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I think so, because I didn't hear it.

20. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Someone give this guy a cigar!

21. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I am very impressed. I think they are doing really good. F1 is so competitive. I wish they had an american drivers.

22. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I heard the retirement discussion either on the NBC TV or the F1 app, had both going during the race.

Not a business man, and I don't work for Ferrari, but I would guess Gutierrez' work for Ferrari last year was just because they needed someone with some F1 experience as a back up or simulator driver, and then the Ferrari-Haas deal allowed Ferrari to influence at least who Haas picked to drive. Likely that having at least one driver in the Ferrari and Haas world from North America helps "sell" the Haas team to North America. In other words, no USA drivers were better, so Gutierrez from Mexico was the next best option.
    Or maybe Gene Haas just wants to sell more machines in Mexico.

23. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    This race instilled on why I still just can't like Grosjean. It's easy to be likeable when you're winning (in this case scoring points, twice, with great finishes), you must be a special kind of **** to be unlikeable when winning, but his radio halfway through the race ''do we still have to keep going or can I retire the car? It's been undriveable all weekend''. A car is either good or it's ****, but with Grosjean, when he's got a bad day at the office, he always loudly and often state about how **** and undriveable the car is.

I see them fighting for the last few points in reality, but not their points to lose. Their points to try and steal.

24. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    #24 ypsilon, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    + I wish they had an American engine too, would made F1 just a bit more interesting. But Ecclestone still seems to be unable to sell F1 in the US.

For instance a combined GM/Opel racing effort could've been a good baseline, both technically as well commercially, both in the EU as well as US. And GM/Opel has credibility when it comes to turbocharged, small capacity, hybrid engines.

Reality probably is for company as GM (and Ford) that the investment involved probably makes it a too risky ordeal. (Toyota and McLaren being not very good examples)

I guess Gutierrez was part of the Ferrari package, Grosjean being the affordable, talented, semi-experienced 1st driver.

Also heard Haas hired 70 Ferrari F1 employees on a short term contract just to get the project going. Haas currently is basically a Ferrari light on a Dallara chassis under US management.

25. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Bob Fernley said the car is basically a 2015 october level development Ferrari, and that their challenge will be developing it through the season without a mature organizational structure. Seems like a pretty reasonable assessment.