I'm sure that this is a multi repost, but | FerrariChat

I'm sure that this is a multi repost, but

Discussion in 'F1' started by Doug3, Apr 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug3

Doug3 Karting

Dec 20, 2012
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The perfect complement to my morning coffee. Thanks for posting.

3. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wow... the good ole days when F1 cars sounded like F1 cars. Thanks Doug... great post to start the morning.

4. piolaxo

piolaxo Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Salvador
    The engine noise pluse the wind was intoxicating... Thanks for sharing.

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Good stuff, thanks for posting.

Watching the LEDs, obviously the middle one is gear selected. I think the right hand one is rpm, although it's hard to tell.

But it looks like the the left hand display is speed (kph). Why? I may be wrong (as usual), but I've never seen a race car display 'speed' before..... Who cares?.....

Cheers,
    Ian

6. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    They should make this compulsory for all helmets.

I thought some drivers used speed as references, but I might be mistaken and the memory of receiving this information is at least a decade old.

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Although, gotta be honest, the wind noise gets distracting after a while IMO. Get rid of that & they've got a winner.

Mine's more like three or four decades old! :eek: ;)

Maybe they do use "speed" these days, but given the telemetry data available it still seems pretty irrelevant to me. [Not arguing, just a little surprised if that's what it is.]

Cheers,
    Ian

8. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    You forget how bad they sound now until you're reminded of how they should sound

9. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Agree on the sound, turbos and green racing...not as interesting as high revving motors, but hey racing is still better than no racing.
    I wondered about the speed as well, I'm pretty sure it was kph, I suspect this was Pirelli tire testing sessions, I wonder if they track it to link to tire deg? I'm sure they could collect it and not display it so that seems odd...maybe they have specific speed targets for him on corners and its there for that purpose?

10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    You-Tube: Look up Senna's record qualifying lap at Monaco, with manual gear change gearbox. incredible! I believe he was 2 seconds faster than Prost in same car.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    It is hard to believe it has been over 20 years since his tragic death. RIP.