GP in Mexico | FerrariChat

GP in Mexico

Discussion in 'F1' started by scudF1, Apr 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I'm thinking on going to the Mexican GP. I have never been to Mexico to begin with. Is Mexico City a safe city to stay and visit? I hear a lot of good and bad things. Any opinions, suggestions and experiences are welcomed.

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I may be going myself. Mexico City DF is HUGE... and has some great areas, and some not so great areas. the area around the track used to be kind of sketchy here and there, but that was back in the late 80's. I have not been back since the early 90's so cant say for sure.

Chapultepec is the place to stay -and make sure you hire a secure car or transfer service to and from the track. if you stay in the "safe" neighborhoods, then you will be fine. but there is a lot of gang violence ( or used to be ) so be careful. I used to take the Little VW beetle cab's but stopped when some journalist were held up at gun point in 88 or 89? cant remember when...

3. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hmmmmm. I was thinking of going as well. From the sound of it, I don't think it's a safe place to be. I think Austin it is.

4. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    That's another thing. If I decide to go to Mexico I will not go to Austin. So it comes down to Mexico vs Texas.

5. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
  6. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    If you go to Mexico, you can stay at a hotel near the airport. The track is literally like 5 miles away from the airport, or you can also stay at one of the more posh neighborhoods like Polanco or La Condesa.

7. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #7 hairy_scotsman, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    It's not that simple. You have to take into account where you're going, among some other things...Most of the violent crime in Mexico is drug-related and occurs in some very specific areas.

My wife and I have been traveling from Austin to the Riviera Maya once or twice a year since 1997 (the areas near Cancun and Cozumel, including Playa del Carmen, Isla Mujeres and more). Since about 2005 (when our oldest boy turned 2) we've been taking our kids along as well. They think something is wrong if we DON'T go to Mexico sometime during the summer. We feel safer there than we would in MANY places in the U.S., even some places in Austin. Where we hang out there hasn't been a murder in over 40 years.

I haven't been to Mexico City, but from what I hear it's pretty much like any other big city in the sense that it's fine so long as you stay in good areas and don't go looking for trouble if you know what I mean. Go looking for trouble or go wandering off into sketchy areas and you surely will find trouble....much as you would in, say, New Orleans, where you dare not even stray half a block ff Bourbon Street alone at night. The same can be said for many U.S. cities, but you don't hear the State Dept or Texas DPS issuing travel advisories warning people away from them.
    Are Americans safer in Mexico than at home? | Lonely Planet blog

There's a lot more good info in the article, but I found this bit particularly interesting.

8. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Staying in the US. Austin here I come.