GP Sochi 2016 - Predictions/Weather | FerrariChat

GP Sochi 2016 - Predictions/Weather

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Apr 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    This one will be hard to predict.

Rosberg is on a strong streak, Hamilton desperately wants to get a win in now. Ferrari with new combustion which should give them a decent bump in power, including a new front wing which will bring them closer in quali.

However, I expect Mercedes to still be well ahead in quali. They have an easy half second in pocket. For that reason I expect a Merc on pole and quite possibly alongside.

Kimi indeed does seem more comfortable with this car; so the F cars will share 2nd row.

The race though...it would be immensely satisfying to see lewham have another bad start/first corner misshap. If that happens Ferrari should be able to chase the sole remaining merc. With some luck they get ahead on lap 1 and one of the Ferrari's will win.

3. mertini86

mertini86 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    Brussels / Istanbul
    Full Name:
    Mert Candarli
    At this point, I JUST want to see a guy with red overalls at the top of the podium.

4. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Qualifying: Mercedes front row, Ferrari 2nd row, Red Bull 3rd row
    Race: Mercedes 1-2, Ferrari 3-4, one Haas car in the points

5. DF1

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Hearing that IF Kimi doesn't extend contract to 2017, Perez and Grosjean are prime replacement candidates.

As things stand, Ferrari are keen for him to stay on for another year.

7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    What I've been saying all along, from that article:

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #9 william, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016

Based on what?

I like Perez, but I don't think he is Ferrari material, IMO. I would have though differently a few years ago, but he hasn't impressed me at McLaren, or Force India. A very likeable individual, but no more than a journeyman, I think.

And it's too early to decide if Grosjean would be an asset to Ferrari. But I don't think so.

If I was Arrivabene, my attention would be on Ricciardo, Kvyat and I would follow how Vestappen develops this year. Anyone of them could be Number 2 at the Scuderia, to succeed Vettel when he leaves in 3 or 4 years,

9. DF1

I can see Grosjean. Not sure about Perez. Grosjean is not slow and has improved over his earlier times.

It still sounds like Kimi is the first choice. Im thinking there will be no changes at either Ferrari or Mercedes

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A source.
    I like Perez, but I don't think he is Ferrari material, IMO. I would have though differently a few years ago, but he hasn't impressed me at McLaren, or Force India. A very likeable individual, but no more than a journeyman, I think. [/QUOTE]

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That's my perception as well.

But...has it occured to anyone that last season (= 2015) the "Reds" already had won a race at this point of the championship schedule...and nevertheless, some say that this year, Ferrari is closer to Mercedes than it was last year? Well, according to the "hard results" at least, they are not.

Rgds

12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I think both Nico and Lewis are due for a change in 'luck' ..so Lewis should win it ,would not be surprised to see Seb and/or Kimi also on the podium.Nico well down the points this time around.

13. DF1

14. DF1

I thought that way last year as LH kept winning.

LH kept winning lol :)

15. DF1

Senior engineer leaves Sauber F1 team, spares shortage at Russian GP - F1 - Autosport

Sauber's head of track engineering Tim Malyon has left the Formula 1 team after just over three months in the job, Autosport has learned.

The former Red Bull engineer joined the team in January as a replacement for Giampaolo Dall'Ara.

But his last race was the Chinese Grand Prix and he will officially leave the team at the end of the month.

It is the second high profile departure for the Swiss team after technical director Mark Smith left on the eve of season.

Malyon cited personal reasons for his departure.

Paul Russell, Felipe Nasr's former race engineer, moves into the role of chief race engineer on an interim basis.

Sauber has not paid its staff on time for the last two months because of cashflow problems, with boss Monisha Kaltenborn working to find more backers.

Marcus Ericsson's Swedish sponsors stepped in with an early payment to ensure staff were paid for the month of March, albeit eight or nine days late.

Kaltenborn has conceded the team's financial problems are holding up developments it has planned for its 2016 car.

However, funds were available to ensure Nasr will get a new chassis for this weekend's Russian GP having been blighted by handling problems so far this season.

The Brazilian said the problems were not evident in pre-season testing, when he used chassis 01, the one team-mate Marcus Ericsson has used since Melbourne.

But Nasr has struggled in all three of the races so far this season.

Sauber ran identical set-ups on Nasr and Ericsson's cars in China but the problems continued and as a result, Nasr has been given chassis 03.

It is understood the team is very short on spares.

16. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Fair point, but Ferrari like hot weather and won last year's Malaysian GP (2nd Round) on a hot track.

Malaysia this year is Round 16.

Sochi will be cool.
    Friday: 9°C -16°C
    Saturday: 10°C -17°C
    Sunday: 9°C -17°C

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Ferrari will win..fai rand square...

18. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    smart money says Ferrari will not win at Sochi...it's like tennis, just because each set went to 7-6 tiebreaker doesn't mean it was a close match; each game could've concluded with a 40-0 lead ;)

You need to buck the server more than a handful of times in order to beat him for it to be a close match; it's been a handful of times now and Ferrari hasn't shown they can do that...

19. NJB13

NJB13 Formula 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Pampanga,Philippines
    Full Name:
    Norm
    A bit of luck to roll Ferrari's way, and we can break our duck in Sochi

20. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :confused:

Seems to me any match that involves any tie breaks is, by definition, a pretty close one. Particularly if every set goes that way..... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

21. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    We will do it,Kimi will be fuelled with Vodka and he'll slay them all...

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #23 Bas, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Don´t think Vettel will notice the difference..:)

24. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Insanity!.... They've no doubt spent hundreds of hours in the tunnel to do what?.... Add yet another element to the thing. (3 versus 2 'white' planes.)

I guess they believe it's better than the earlier version, but how much has it cost, & with how much benefit I wonder? (At least in the real world, not the computer.)

Seems that given the restrictions currently, that wing is about all they can screw with race by race; "A new front wing" seems to be announced by all of them every few races.

I get they're all looking for an edge, one of the reasons I follow 'em. But this 'fixation' with the front wing strikes me as crazy.

As already noted, limit both wings to no more than two elements & move on.

Cheers,
    Ian