Verstappen/Kvyat seat swap this season | FerrariChat

Verstappen/Kvyat seat swap this season

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, May 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Yes just have seen this! Max moving up possibly!

3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'd be surprised if it does happen this quickly.

Significant over-reaction to Kvyat shunt though.

4. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    I would agree, it is quite the over-reaction, but Red Bull was looking for an excuse to punt Kvyat for Verstappen in 2017 anyway, and this could be the window they were looking for. I will believe it when I see the press release....as they say stranger things have happened in F1 (Jenson Button returning to Williams some years ago?)

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Can't see it, media hype to run to get excitement when the results are merc merc merc

6. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    This is madness - verstappen shunted into the back of grosjean at Monaco and no one made any calls for him to go to a lower formula. It was one bad race. Last race he drove brilliantly and was on the podium

7. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    RedBull promotes youth at all costs over everything else. They were clearly looking for an excuse to make this move. I personally don't think Max is ready. He is still a bit immature, even after a full season under his belt. RB is going to screw him up by moving him up too fast.

8. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Good news if true. The ruskie is a complete liability and is costing RB too much $$ and points. Max is ready.

9. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Isn't Toro Rosso the better car this year?

10. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    I would say so.

11. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    When I think of all the dumb **** they allowed Vettel away with over the years...

12. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    If they did, it wouldn't be over the recent wreck, as Max has his own recent record.

13. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    I think he drives very mature, especially considering his age and limited post-karting experience. And he beats Sainz almost every race. It's his reactions sometimes that are somewhat immature, allthough more drivers have that problem.

But I don't believe they will swap seats so soon, Kvyat was on the podium.

14. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands

Not so sure. And TRS can't develop the Ferrari engine any further.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Single lap pace the Red Bull is faster.

Race pace is tough to say, RBR has had irregular races most of the time so far this season (Ricciardo a blown tire from the lead in China, Kvyat torpedoed both RBR's pretty much out in Sochi). Apart from Sochi, Ricciardo has finished 4th in all races.

It's a quicker car I think.

-----------

I think everyone has seen what Verstappen can do, in a more convincing fashion than any other driver at STR apart from Vettel. Ricciardo only started to really put it all together when the Red Bull seat opened up and very convincingly beat Vergne from that point on.

The Red Bull programme is there strictly to find the next world champion. I understand their position of dropping a driver when they don't see it. That's why I hate the ''Red Bull young driver career destroy programme'' it gets tagged with so often. It's not a charity organisation in order to employ anyone that is good at driving. IMO they've helped many drivers to get through to the next part of their career. Without Red Bull, most would likely be nowhere. There are many young racing drivers, and not much money right now to keep them all in a seat, let alone an F1 seat.

Getting back to Verstappen; he's not an unproven subject anymore IMO. He was mostly sensational last year, and got right back on it again this season so far. Anyone that's been paying attention to Sochi could see how much he was slaughtering his teammate by, again. And Sainz is not exactly slow.

Red Bull is not retarded. They know full well that Max will have to get used to the team and he'll be driving alongside a 3x race winner of massive capability. They won't drop him after a few races or even after this season.

16. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Only 4 races, but right now the Red Bull is a better car. Even with both RIC and KVY blowing it in Russia, they stand 3rd in Constructors with 57 points, and Toro Rosso is 6th (behind Grosjean) with 17 points. RIC and KVY stand 4th and 8th, while VER and SAI are 10th and 14th.

Just to throw out another opinion, if they swap Verstappen into a Red Bull this year, then we just get him taking out Vettel instead of Kvyat!

17. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Saw a new report which suggested that the Kvyat/Verstappen could happen before the next race!

18. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
  19. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Setting aside the fact that Kvyat has shown enough speed over the past few seasons to retain his seat over a couple knucklehead moves in a race, I hope RB aren't foolish enough to promote Verstappen. The kid clearly has the markings of future WDC the way it was obvious with Hamilton and Vettel, but he's also shown that he's just not yet ready mentally (understandably so). They'd only be jeopardizing a future star's potential by rushing due process and prematurely applying the pressure of driving for the big boys.

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    THis is what happens when you put money ahead of talent....Toro Rosso already had a seat made for Félix da Costa, but then Kvyat poped out with a bag full of Money, and there was going to be a Russian g.p, and the Russian was far from being slow, so the other guy, who despite being a better driver had no money and no interesting nationality simply lost his place...

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  22. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
  23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Karun Chandhok makes a good point: Harsh penalty on Kvyat, but at China, Ricciardo had a puncture in 2nd lap, still finished only 7 seconds behind Kvyat.