F1 money?.... Check out the English Premier League! | FerrariChat

F1 money?.... Check out the English Premier League!

Discussion in 'F1' started by Fast_ian, May 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Hey,

Just got pointed to this link..... Gotta be honest, I had no idea;

100M UKP (~150M USD) to each and every one of the 20 clubs!

Not terribly relevant here, but I had to share. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

Premier League Club's*Wage Bills In 2016 (Revealed)

2. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    That's why football is more interesting than F1 :D :D

Jokes aside, I think football is seriously growing its base, especially in Asia. No one seem to care much about F1 these days honestly. I mean with Licester winning the league, it's on everyone's lips now. About F1...

'You still watching it? I gave up after it went hybrid and no testing..bla bla bla..' The usual ;)

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I cannot even begin to understand why someone would compare a ball game with motor racing.

4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Money.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But you said it wasn't terribly relevant here ...

6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    If you look at the details you see that F1 is clearly ahead ;)

Premier League has 380+ games a year which most supporters attend by catching a bus/train vs 21 races which require supporters to spend $$$ on flights and accommodation and for the most part be away for 4+ days.

Each game averages 35,000 so that's 350,000 people that attend matches per weekend for 38 weeks. F1 probably averages 80,000 on race day for only 20 odd weeks.

Worldwide TV audience numbers are about the same even tho PL has way more events.

100% of the TV money gets shared between the teams (50% on merit, 25% on performance, 25% on TV appearances) in Premier League. Only 50% gets shared between the teams in F1 which then gets split by Bernie Wizard magic.

7. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    "Bernie Wizard Magic"..... Love it!

I've got some comments on your comments, I'll revisit after FP3.....

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Bernie Ecclestone had a dabble with football when he bought Queens Park Rangers with Flavio Briatore in 2007. He later bought out Briatore's share in 2010, and then sold the club to Tony Fernandes in 2011.

If the money in football was that good, then Bernie would still be involved in the game.

Both Sports are massive throughout the World, and both sports involve massive amounts of money every season so the relevance is not that hard to see.

9. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    #9 ypsilon, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
    Though the problem with the EPL is;

- Too much money in relation to other football leaques, let alone the top leaques (Spanish, German, Italian, etc.), aka the money involved doesn't reflect the quality of play. The EPL overpays.
    - Which partly can be ascribed to the influence of US/Asian/Russian billionaire ownership among EPL clubs in England/Wales (and even 2nd, 3rd, etc divisions that want to cash in on), something which isn't possible in for instance Germany. They have a bullish affect on TV rights, transfer fees, wages, etc
    - The EPL is very much a marketing leaque, first and foremost. Very good in exploiting their position among middle eastern/Asian/US/Commonwealth and influence in the English-speaking world in general.
    - The UEFA has a very big hand in the imbalanced proportions in European football of which the top 3 to 4 leaques very much take advantage of.

But maybe this thread belongs in the sport section ;)

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    You're probably right. It's kinda taken a turn I didn't expect.

I started it just to 'expose' the money involved in the EPL versus Bernie's model. All 20 teams making 100m plus per year. I know Marussia don't make that kind of dough.

Cheers,
    Ian

11. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Thankyou! Pretty much what I was trying to get at.

It may be OT, but I thought it 'interesting' at the least. Wasn't expecting to get blasted. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian