Allison to replace Arrivabene? | FerrariChat

Allison to replace Arrivabene?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, May 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    These are the voices. I would second that as Arrivabene doesn't seem to me as such a big improvement on Domenicali or Mattiacci.

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The improvement will come from the technical team, not from changing the principal all the time.

It's a common mistake to think that firing the guy at the top stimulate people below him.
    It doesn't. It just destabilises the whole team structure.

3. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    That would be the Ferrari equivalent of what happened with McLaren and Martin Whitmarsh!

There's only so much Arrivabene (or anyone else) can do to get Ferrari winning again, and I can't see Allison being some sort of instant miracle cure for all of their woes.

And if it did happen, and Allison did not improve the situation, then what? - Who do they put in charge next?

There are a lot more people responsible for Ferrari not winning than Arrivabene - And a lot of them are working at Mercedes!

4. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Would be a very stupid move. Arrivabene is great.

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

What is he doing so much better than his predecessors?

6. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I like Arrivabene, I don't think he is the problem. The big problem are the regulations that prevent any other teams spending and developing the cars in a manner to catch up with Mercedes. Toto's comments about the other teams closing the gap are insincere at best and very self serving. Previously teams like Ferrari and McLaren would just spend what was necessary and test as much as possible to catch up. Change the rules and Mercedes will have real competition, if not then flip a coin to see which Mercedes comes first and which one comes second...

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    It's obviously hard to tell from the outside looking in, but to me at least he "comes across" very well. My guess is he's also a pretty good & patient leader, willing to listen etc.

I certainly don't claim to know, but I do like the guy.

Not sure about Allison. Hasn't he worked there before?

Cheers,
    Ian

8. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Arrivabene is a motivator, a manager. He's done a pretty good job, Ferrari have made positive strides, domenicalli couldn't organise a piss up at a brewery. The thing holding Ferrari back is the rules, and the only way to change that is to sack the FIA, not arrivabene.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I saw the arrival of Arrivabene as principal as Marlboro imposing its manager on the Scuderia.
    Phillip Morris being the main sponsor for years has lost patience with the relative lack of success under he successive principals in recent years, and decided to take the helm. That's the way I see it.
    Arrivabene is first a foremost a Marlboro man, not a Ferrari man. I gather that he will defend the interest of Marlboro abouve those of the Scuderia.
    What will happen next, I don't know, so I don't want to make prediction.

Marlboro has sponsored different teams in the past...

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I may be mistaken, but I thought he was very much Sweater Boys appointment?

Cheers,
    Ian

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, of course it has been presented as an appointment from the Scuderia CEO, but reading between the lines, I guessed it was Marlboro imposing its man as Director of the Gestione Sportive.
    When you put an (alledged) $100M per year in a team, I think they tend to listen to you somehow.
    Arrivabene has been the liaison man between Marlboro and Ferrari, and may have reported the deficiencies, etc...

I may be wrong though ...

12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Sorry mate, don't buy it. If Ferrari want £100million sponsorship, they are the one team that could walk out and get it..... They wouldn't be frightened of Phillip Morris. If Phillip Morris were that influential, then they would install arrivabene as president of the FIA and simply change the formula to something that suits Ferrari. Way easier

13. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    I like the guy (although I couldn't exactly say why). However, one of his purported benefits was the ability to drive the FIA's agenda based on his experience with PM.

14. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    That's the Ferrari way! :)

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Same here.

He's certainly what I'd call a "smooth operator", & seems to come over well in interviews etc. No idea what he'd be like to work for, but you don't reach the top of the PM pyramid if you're useless/a wanker.....

+1 I vaguely recall those comments too.

Again, I think the problem is there's just too much agreement needed before anything can get done. They (the FIA, & the TWG/SWG's) need a "benevolent dictator".

Trouble there is, "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Cheers,
    Ian

16. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    #16 GrndLkNatv, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
    This is only in the press. I would be completely shocked if this is even 1% real.

I work for Mr A, my up-chain goes from me to Apicella, Rivola to Arrivabene and I can tell you that the guys love working for him, as do I.

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Thanks for the insight. Good to hear from "the inside".

Mind me asking what you do? I see you're in Colorado, so that's a *long* way from Maranello!

Cheers,
    Ian

18. GrndLkNatv

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    go to Scuderia Ferrari Club | The Official Ferrari Passion and at the bottom of the page, back row left, you can see me. I am there with Rivola, Pedro, Marc, etc. I do no more than run the Denver Club these days..

19. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Car went from **** to second best in one year following his takeover, for one thing. He is a great motivator.

If you think a revolving door of team principals is what is going to get Ferrari to the front you're mistaken...

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Cool! Thanks!

I'm a little "surprised" Mr A is involved with such a thing though (?)

Cheers,
    Ian

21. GrndLkNatv

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    He's the principal, everyone reports to him, and he reports to Mr. M. Massimo Rivola is the club World Wide Pres. His boss is Mr. A.

22. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    He is another Jean Todt in my book, he says and does the right thing and is building a great team so that when the Ferrari engines are the strongest again we will see another Schumacher era, hopefully with DR at the wheel :)

23. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Perhaps Allison made it a condition of his continued service at the Scuderia.

24. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Totally agree, could you imagine Ferrari being worried about PM :p

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I dunno guys..... I don't care who you are, a $100MM a year is a substantial chunk of change!

Then, if the stories are true, PM "look after" the entire sponsorship thing. A big load off Italian shoulders. Then they keep Bernie happy with most things freshly painted in red & white. That **** doesn't come cheap either.

Annual $100MM sponsorship deals don't just appear every year...... Even if you're Ferrari.

IMO anyway.

Cheers,
    Ian