Funny how some folks don't know when to shut-up | FerrariChat

Funny how some folks don't know when to shut-up

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, May 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Daniil Kvyat - I could have won that race for Red Bull

Kvyat really doesn't know when to just put his head down and keep quiet. There's an arrogance there that just isn't backed up by the talent. Looking back to the green room after his podium. He started the argument with Vettel by making that stupid comment to him with that stupid smirk on his face. The thing that irritates me the most is when these guys have wins or even good races under dubious circumstances than immediately think of themselves as equals to the top guys like Lewis, Vettel, Alonso, Nico, Button.. etc.

Instead of being a class act and saying "What a great win for Max... I'm really really happy for him." He does the "oh yeah... I coulda done that too comment."

The biggest mistake you can make is believing your own hype. He's jumped the shark on that.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep a bad comment. Unfortunate.

Ricciardo almost always had superior race pace to kvyat

3. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    he's gotta stfu and start spanking sainz.

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Nope,Kvyat is finished.....the unfortunate thing was teh fact that because of his bag of Money,a great talent like Félix Dacosta was waisted to DTM...what a shame...

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wow what an idiot.

6. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I mean here he is saying how he needs seat time in the car... it's all new to him (it's not... I guess he forgot he was on that team) and therefore his expectations should be muted. However, Max gets in a brand new car for real and wins the race... albeit one without the Mercs, but he likely would've gotten 3rd because I don't see how the Mercs being in the race really would've changed much other than them riding off into the sunset.

I commented a few days ago about how is career is at a crossroads and how I thought he had two choices and which one he'd take. Well... I guess we know now. He seems completely unfazed by his own mistakes and shortcomings and this will likely be his last year in F1 if a total 180 doesn't take place. You'd think someone would be telling him or trying to tell him that he needs a complete personality overhaul.

Not nearly to the degree, but I think Ric has some of the same issues. His 3 wins in 2014 were great wins, but wins that Merc were not a 100%. He's not yet shown that he has championship already written for him, but he sometimes does the same "well I would have..." conversation. I'd much rather hear these guys put things in perspective and say something like "yeah its a great win but I'm looking forward to winning a clean race" or something to that affect. Just some acknowledgement that there was something you didn't do that helped you. I remember back in AMA Superbike when it was the constant battle between Mladin and Spies. Spies crashed out and after the win they were congratulating him and Matt said "it doesn't count. Ben saw the pavement so it wasn't an honest contest."

Yes attrition is part of racing... but so far, Seb is the only one to beat Merc on a level playing field. I'm anxious to see how the next few races play out. Is RB for real? Will their upgrade be for real? It hasn't been in the past and it looks like Ferrari's token spend sent them backward. It's an odd deal. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Kvyat, however, has basically put himself in a very unlikable position. Not a good thing in the political circus that is F1.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    (blush) - that feeling when you are embarrassed for somebody else...

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    So if you were demoted from your job out of the blue by your employer, with no warning whatsoever, and replaced by someone else who was deemed to be a better future prospect than you, you wouldn't feel slightly aggrieved?

Instead you would be full of congratulations for the guy who replaced you, publicly saying: "Hey good for you Max! - You go and have great success in My Job, in My car!"?

I seriously doubt it!

Stating that he could have won the race in the Red Bull may be out of order, there again, who knows? - Perhaps he could have won the race in the Red Bull, the fact of the matter is we'll never know.

When asked: "Do you think you could have won today if you were still driving that car?", what is he supposed to say?: "No, I'm too s:censored:t to win in that car!"?

He's just been dumped by his team with no warning whatsoever and he's p:censored:ssed of about it - I can understand that.

If Red Bull think he's "that" s:censored:t at his job, why have they put him back in the Torro Rosso?

(Let's not forget, a big part of putting Max in the Red Bull was to prevent Mercedes or Ferrari getting their hands on him. As it happens this weekend, it's worked out very well for Red Bull).

Fchat really is a fickle place!

A few weeks ago after the Chinese GP, people were on here saying how well Kvyat raced into turn one, and how well he handled the post race situation when Vettel (who almost everyone agreed was in the wrong with his version of what happened on the opening lap), remaining calm and not antagonising the situation.

And later on, Vettel pretty much confirmed (quietly) that he was wrong about what actually happened in China.

Now though - Suddenly Kvyat was some sort of gormless chump with how he dealt with Vettel, was out to wind him up, and has no place in F1!

With Verstappen, a few races ago he was being slated on here for throwing his teddy out of the coat and having a childish tantrum on the radio about how his team mate wasn't playing nicely with him. The vast majority of posts about it stating that it was a bit pathetic.

Now he's been handed a win by Rosberg and Hamilton (lets be totally honest here, he would never have beaten the Mercedes cars had they still been on track and working properly!), suddenly he's the greatest driver since Michael Schumacher according to some on here!

Is Verstappen a better driver than Kvyat?: Yes - The evidence shows he is.

Is Kvyat so s:censored:t at driving that he shouldn't be allowed in an F1 car?: I don't think so.

Does Kvyat have a right to be p:censored:ssed off at being demoted by Red Bull with no warning whatsoever?: I think so - It was a pretty sh:censored:tty thing to do!

Should Kvyat not be allowed to express his annoyance at what has happened?: No, he has every right to let the World know he's not happy with the situation that he now finds himself in.

Should Kvyat be full of praise for the team who have unceremoniously dumped him, and for the driver who now has his job?: I don't think so, in fact, I'd find it a bit bizarre if he did!

9. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Unless he does a miracle at STR, i think Fiat will be gone next season. Very unfortunate the way he's been handling the whole situation.

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Because of contractual reasons, I presume that Red Bull couldn't dump him in the middle of the season, but I consider that moving Kvyat from RB to TR is a warning of dismissal at the end of this year.

Kvyat will join Speed, Bourdais, Luizi, Vergne, Alseguari and others in the RB rubbish bin.

11. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If that were my situation... you better believe I would. Sour grapes show who you are... what you're made of... how you deal with disappointment. In the very very very small elite world of F1, you can't hide from your own poor judgment. He had an opportunity and blew it by saying "well I would've... I could've..." rhetoric. He could have handled that a 100 times better and he didn't.

12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Some would argue, that stepping out of an inferior car into a superior one is a much easier transition to make than the other way around...not taking anything away from what max accomplished, that was pretty spectacular for a rookie who has never won a gp.

Kvyat has 3/4 of a season left to redeem himself, lets pass judgement on him later. It's still quite early days.

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Exactly. This guy has no excuse for his attitude.

He should have bragged about how he didn't hit anybody twice. He doesn't get enough credit for that!:D

14. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Exactly!

15. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is where youth just let's you down. You just don't have the gravitas at that age to deal with the giant emotional roller coaster where one week you're a hero... the next, you're a pariah.

I think if he would have handled his podium a bit better... softened the "I'm going to show no mercy" rhetoric the following week, been a bit more public with his contrition following Russia...been a bit more gracious about Max's win and just sort of sucked it up for the camera, people would have maybe been thinking about him differently right now.

16. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I agree with you. We all say and do foolish things when we're young. I sure have. Difference is I wasn't in any kind of spotlight.

17. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I totally agree, I was worried about him when he moved up to the top team with Dan, he is a damn good driver and has been shafted by the Austrian Mad Monk.

I liked his comment in the pre-race press conference where he asked if he got to keep his podium while sitting right next to Max :p

And yes he would have run that race if they put him on a 2 stopper and Dan on the 3 stop but I don't think he would have qualified as well as Max so who knows

18. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Then perhaps if "youth" is to blame, all young drivers should have handlers that teach them when to keep their mouths shut, how not to smirk and look down on champions, etc. Respect goes a long way to keeping fans from writing you off.

19. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    What, because he stood up for himself against that idiot Vettel for carrying on like a tool because Kvyat schooled him in that corner and then vettel crashed into Kimi ???

FFS, Vettel realised later he was a tool and the kid was right, then Danii buggered up in the next race by running into him TWICE ... for that he should be berated but he had every right to look down on Vettel when he podiumed and Vettel ran off at the mouth like a little girl

20. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Yes, all of that. Respect for those who came before you USED to be part of F1, which was a gentleman's sport. Now, it seems to be going the way of NASCAR. It's a shame, really.

He sealed it for me by saying he could have won the last race. Sorry, but that's when you congratulate someone for his accomplishment. That was his opportunity to show class and he failed miserably. It's only about him. And that's fine. But when the cameras is on and the microphone is in his face, maybe he needs to lie. After all, his crap driving the previous race is what got him pulled from the winning car. He has no one to blame but himself.

21. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    You have to be able to back up your mouth with results!

22. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This is another problem caused by the high cost of F1. Half the teams on the grid have to give at least one seat to a kid with a little bit of talent because he has backers who can help close the budget gap. Kvyat is better than most, but he rose to a team where private money is not necessary. After all, Red Bull is not Manor. So can Danni stay in F1? Yes, in a lesser team where his cash will buy him a seat and he will most likely be a better choice that most other kids with a big backer.

23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The way I see it, Kvyat will follow his compatriot Petrov, who, like him, was in a top team (Renault at the time), and had some credible results to his name (2nd in a GP). That doesn't guaranty a stay in F1 these days.

I wrote at the time, that the incident with Vettel may have sealed Kvyat's career in F1. But I think there is more to that. Red Bull was in a hurry to secure a contract with Verstappen by promoting him in the Premier League immediatly, and the Russian sort of messed up at the same time.

24. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Excellent post

25. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name: