Honda guys are on drugs (strong ones) | FerrariChat

Honda guys are on drugs (strong ones)

Discussion in 'F1' started by furoni, May 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Honda now claims his engine power is between Merc and Ferrari...and Alonso says Maclaren chassis is only below Red Bulls....so if we add 1+1, how come the result isn't 2!!!!
    This guys are on to something....seriously, they are high on drugs...strong ones!!...they should stick to the saké!!!

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I don't understand why some people in F1 (principals, engineers, drivers, or spokepersons) need to make unsubstantiated statements.

Everybody can see where McLaren-Honda is at the moment.

3. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    You have to separate engine power from fuel consumption.

So perhaps Honda does have the second most powerful engine on the grid, yet it would run out of fuel if run at that power before the race was over.

4. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    +1 peak power nowadays doesn't mean much if efficiency isn't there.
    Efficiency in today's F1 is not only attributed to the ICU but the entire PU concept and its management. Their statement might well be right.

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Sounds like a bit of North Korea-like sabre rattling to me... That said, McLaren's chassis does indeed look good, but it's a useless statement if the power train driving the thing remains an upgraded hamster wheel.

6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Perhaps the chassis is decente,but it's not as good as a Merc or a Ferrari, no way...and as for Honda Pu...give me a break!!

7. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Whatever happened to managing expectations? If not for the fans... for the team. I mean are they putting out nonsense like that to the media with a follow-up email to the employees saying "We just floated another gigantic lie. Do not pay any attention to the lie. We have no chance of winning... no chance at a podium... carry on."

8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #8 DeSoto, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
    F1 is like politics: they don´t always lie, but they always don´t tell all the truth.

Bouillier said that at Russia they lost 50 s because they had to save fuel. Monsieur Bouillier: saying that is like saying that you would be faster with a 3 litre engine while everybody else is running with 1.5 litre. EVERYBODY is saving fuel. Maybe the Honda is between Mercedes and Ferrari at peak power, but nothing else: fuel consumption, energy recovery, etc...

About their chassis the Honda engine is so crappy partly because it has to breath through a straw and they had to put the turbo between the V to make Peter Prodromou look better than he is. There were some comments in the Autosport forums by some "insiders" (take it with a grain of salt, of course) that claimed that this size-zero design was pushed by McLaren. Of course Honda is guilty of not admitting that this was impossible to achieve but when they realized it, it was too late. Also, one of these "insiders" said that the car was like "trying to race a brick": yes, lots of downforce, but lots of drag too. So the lack of top speed is not all caused by the lack of power.

9. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Peak power may be between Ferrari/Merc. That said, the Honda appears to have fuel consumption issues so they probably can't run on that power level much at all

Just my theory

10. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Who cares about peak power?

Just get results, if a Honda gets a podium in the next race then they can thump their chests and make as many baulking statements as they want. Until then, as the old adage goes, "Shut the f*** up!"

11. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    IMO, Honda has a significant problem in the induction/Turbo area of the engine. If you listen to them in person, they stutter, stumble and fart about at low and mid-range throttle positions and then go like stink on the top end. It has to be difficult to drive, as there is not linear response from the engine under acceleration.

12. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Shhh...don't wake them up from their dream. They are trying to pull a Leicester in the EPL

:D

13. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    If they have the power they should be able to qualify well but they can't

14. jdmwerks

jdmwerks Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    ^^ first accurate thing i've ever read from you. Someone must have hacked your account...

15. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    +1. Good power would equal good quali, but it just isn't there. As usual, the mclaren pr machine is scoring own goal after own goal.

16. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Honda, I wanna see less talk and more walk from you! Seems like they haven't smarted from last season's verbal diarrhea! LOL

17. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Honda, I wanna see less talk and more walk from you! Seems like they haven't smarted from last season's verbal diarrhea! LOL

18. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    If Honda's statements are correct but they have to run at a reduced power output due to excessively high fuel consumption, then I'd have to conclude that they've done a p:censored:ss poor job of understanding what was required in order to be competitive in F1!

It also seems to Me to be rather foolish stating you make as much power as your rivals, in light of the fact that not only do your rivals make that power, but they make the power without having any fuel consumption issues - That just shouts out: "Our rival's power units are better engineered than ours!" to Me!

19. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    A lot of the peanut gallery said Honda were genii and they would kill the opposition in F1 because they had a WHOLE YEAR of unfettered development and had an insight from the make up of the Mercedes power unit!!

So, the Japanese AREN'T great copiers after all :p

20. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D

Epic! Thx.

Are you nightly, or just weekly? ;) :)

Didn't some of those posts get "bookmarked for future embarrassment" later?.....

Cheers,
    Ian

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said

That's a little mean :)

+1

22. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +2 on all points. :)

"Couldn't happen to a nicer team...." ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

23. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Why can't others see the same virtues McLarens sees in themselves :D

24. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Because the others aren't delusional! ;)

25. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ