Tire pressures..... | FerrariChat

Tire pressures.....

Discussion in 'F1' started by classic308, May 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    hmmm, so what would happen if there weren't any restrictions on tire pressures?

Why not just let every team compete equally, and take equal risk if you're running too low/high and have more/less tire degradation or blowouts?

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Let 'em do whatever they want.

At their "own risk" as they say today....

I guess the problem is it makes Pirelli look bad,. (?)

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    They are going to be able to measure tyre pressures DURING THE RACE shortly, hembrey was interviewed at the weekend, think from Canada onwards but could be wrong. That will cause a few issues I reckon, especially if you get changeable weather conditions during a race

4. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Vettel's crash at Spa was likely from tire pressure monkey business, hence the sudden frackus at Monza.

I seem to remember Pirelli stating post spa if they saw in future a team's tire pressure doing funky things beyond what their models predicted, that team would get an "adjusted" starting pressure.

Check out NASCAR a few years ago when teams were running 2-3PSI and blowing tires. Bad bad publicity for Goodyear, your average person watching a race just sees a tire explode for "no reason" taking out their favorite driver..

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I'm 99% sure 'they' (the guys on the wall) already monitor them.

Whether Charlie & Paul H have access to that same data I don't know, but would have thought so.... Each team has 'dedicated' Pirelli guys, so I'd guess they also see said data.

Cheers,
    Ian

6. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    It sounded like Prirelli from statements made that the tire pressure changes came about based on race tire pressures not matching simulated tire pressures. It also sounds like their solution to future teams attempting a falling tire pressure is to raise the minimum starting pressure for that team, rather than enforce tire pressure rules throughout the race. This makes a lot of sense, punctures, etc.

7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hembrey gave the impression that with effect from this upcoming race, be it Canada or another as I can't remember, that the monitoring of tyre pressures during the race would be starting. I took it that that meant they didn't actually enforce race pressures, just start pressures, but that now they would (assuming that teams know their pressures on the pitwall, but that Pirelli / FIA don't bother). By making the point they would be, I took it that there would be some enforcement of these pressures in the race, although quite how or by what measure i don't know and can't really imagine, pressures will vary by conditions and temperatures, so gawd knows how you control that effectively

8. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    It sounds to me like they will look at the data, and adjust starting pressures accordingly for the next GP.

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    #10 4rePhill, May 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not according to Pirelli (From: https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2015/9/findings-of-pirellis-vettel-tyre-investigation-revealed.html ) :

Pirelli’s investigation into Sebastian Vettel’s late-race tyre failure in Belgium has suggested that a cut from track debris was the most likely cause, with the Ferrari driver’s one-stop strategy making his worn rubber more prone to such damage..........

You seem to be conveniently forgetting that Vettel was quite regularly cutting across the back of the kerb at the top of Eau Rouge, and that, was more likely to have been the cause of his tyre failure:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    With higher tire pressure, maybe that part of the tire wouldn't of been in contact?

11. tesla

tesla Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2013
    Exactly. Ever since that whiner Vettel complained that he almost got killed by a delaminated rear tire, now we all need to suffer. Not to mention the millions each team is wasting on trying to figure out a way around the rule. The complex enforcing and penalities for what?

Let the teams run whatever pressure is ideal for their car. Ferrari qualifying pace would probably improve a lot. Go back to recommended minimum pressure. Problem solved.

And to Vettel: Please grow a pair and stop whining. Waa Pirelli, waa torpedo, waa ping pong. Shut your trap and drive. If you don't like it or don't have the attachments there are plenty of others that would love your seat.

12. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    And if Vettel had used the track properly as he is supposed to do (i.e driving between the white lines and not over them), then maybe he might not have suffered a tyre failure at all, regardless of pressures.

(The circuit officials had put a high curb on the crest of the hill to prevent drivers short cutting the corner.
    All of the drivers complained that it was dangerous as the curb could throw a car across the track again, the FIA agreed and the circuit officials were ordered to remove the curb.
    Once removed, the first thing the drivers did was to start cutting the corner once more!)

Added to that, if Ferrari hadn't gambled and run the tyre for as long as they did then maybe he wouldn't have suffered a tyre failure as well.

At the end of the day, the tyre failure was found to be due to debris cutting it and not due to the pressures being run at the time.