Renault engine upgrade green lit, 1 engine per team | FerrariChat

Renault engine upgrade green lit, 1 engine per team

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, May 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    So who gets them?

Rock, paper, scissors?

2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Ricci may not be smiling if the new star Maxie gets his first!

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Good to see. More competition and pressure on Mercedes possibly

4. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    #4 ypsilon, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
  5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm going out on a limb here and say that Ferrari might aswell focus as much on 2017 as possible. Chance of winning title is quite slim, and now with Red Bull already matching them in speed and soon should be quite a bit quicker...what's the point? At least 2017 is a whole bunch of new rules...

6. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Smart move. One to each team. Hedge your bets in case new engine sucks!

7. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Doesn't Ferrari have updates for Canada?

8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    4-5 tenths advantage? dayum, game over Ferrari...soda company shut that door fast.

even if Ferrari got a 1 tenth gain from each of those 6 tokens we have left, it's now the soda company's season to lose at this point with 20+ tokens left in their piggy bank...

9. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They said the same thing last year and went backwards with their upgrade. Ferrari may have gone backwards this year after their upgrade...remains to be seen.

The dyno and the simulator don't always lead to real world results...hence why testing should be allowed. RB seem to be doing a lot of things right again andnsomdoes Renault, so I'm hoping the claims are true. I'd love to see some racing like last week again.

10. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    RB tested the new engine in Barcelona this week. And the drivers claimed better performance.

11. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I hope so, but it doesn't always translate to race pace.

12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    fair enough, but with 20+ tokens after barcelona testing left in the tank, odds are that they will get it right sooner than later.

13. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    It won't give 4-5 tenths nothing ever gives what is claimed

14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Agree'd. Ferrari are not looking like title winners this year.

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    And if every other team bar Mercedes took that attitude then you'd both be on here ever race weekend complaining that the race was completely boring with nothing whatsoever to watch as all the other teams were just using the races as test sessions rather than going racing.

I'm quite amazed at how quickly people on here want to throw in the towel and give up on a season - I surprised we actually got through free practice one in Melbourne before the season was declared as being over!

16. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    It's not rocket science. Limited development tokens = easily mapped trajectory for the rest of the season.

5 outings with 5 clear misses on pace by Ferrari. I don't care how the media want to spin it e.g. no clean weekends, we got the tires wrong blahblahblah.

Historical statistics also show that, whichever team wins the first 3 races usually goes on to win the season. I believe it was an 81% probability or something like that.

Maybe in 2017, with the return of open development there will be the opportunity for 180º turnarounds by underdog teams.

With the current regs, it's pretty much what Alonso, Button, Hulk etc have all been saying. You go into testing and the first season opener, and pretty much find out where you are, and that will be pretty much be where you will be at the end of the season. It's already a given.

17. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I prefer the Gilles Villeneuve attitude to F1 racing:

If your car still has four wheels attached to (and sometimes only three!), and the engine's still running, then regardless of how much the odds are stacked against you, you race on! - You never ever just give up!

And that goes for both drivers and teams!

18. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

- Never give up.
    - Hope springs eternal.

Otherwise, what's the point?.....

Cheers,
    Ian

19. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    We won't see much of a difference at Monaco.

20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly - But I'm afraid they probably won't

21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It seems the Scuderia are in this pattern of playing catchup the entire season every season.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly!

Obviously the Gilles way of racing is admirable, but what's the point in winning just 1 or 2 races? Their gap to Williams is HUGE, they'll never close that this season. Red Bull on the other hand is on their pace already, and with a **** ton of tokens left and still a bunch spend now on a very solid engine, they'll be lucky to battle with them...let alone Mercedes.

Get an early jump on next season and build a car that'll make Mercedes cry for the next 3 seasons. Go win another series of titles instead of chasing a sole win, in hope.