McLaren: Diluted Fools or Genius | FerrariChat

McLaren: Diluted Fools or Genius

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, May 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Boullier 'not sure Ferrari is a threat' - PlanetF1 : PlanetF1
    McLaren will dethrone Mercedes - Ron Dennis

I'm not quite sure what McLaren is doing. Whether it's Dennis stating that it'll be McLaren that will dethrone Merc or that Ferrari are not a threat in Monaco... the rhetoric machine is either on drugs or they have something dastardly amazing planned. So far, history has shown them to make total fools out of themselves each time they start this nonsense. They have had an "also-ran" year thus far... great by comparison to last maybe, but still nothing to write home about. When you've only gotten into Q3 once, I don't think you pitch arrogance about Ferrari. Delusional ... or...

2. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Maybe they moved the McLaren HQ. to Colorado and Ron is toking on the wacky?

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Chris, I think you meant to say "DELUDED fools", referring to delusion, not dilution; or was that your smartphone's accident-prone spelling correction?

4. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Maybe next year with new regulations they will return to the top, but not this year.

Monaco is all about qualifying (unless you blow leading during the race like last year), so sure McLaren, go ahead and qualify on the front row and we'll believe you.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    HP counts for little here, but the overall package still matters. I think he's right on the money with finishing 6th to 8th. Mercedes will have a huge battle with Red Bull, and I truly hope RBR will make it a 1-2, especially in quali.

Ferrari should easily have 3rd row at least, Sainz might work himself in somewhere. Kvyat needs more time.

''not a threat''. Lol. That's even funnier than Ferrari's bi-monthly ''we will win here'' statement.

6. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Lol, they have been trounced all year by Ferrari, to dismiss them as "not a threat" is hilarious

7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    lolo, I DON'T THINK EVEN tOIL WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SAY SUCH A THING!!!!!!!!

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Again, sorry for my ****ing keyboard....soon to be thrown out the window...

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Honestly...there is something fishy going on insidethat team...might be food poisening..or something in the water....

10. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #10 itschris, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
    You are correct... pointer-finger pecking on an ipad mini. Auto-correct has been the bane of my existence. But thinking about it... sitting in a meeting I probably just wasn't paying attention. Either way... you get my drift.

11. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    lol McSputter needs to put up or shutup. there's optimism and then there's delusions of grandeur, this is the latter.

1st year claim = We will be winning races by the end of the season
    2nd year claim = We will consistently get into Q3 & finish in the top 10
    Next year's claim = We will dethrone Mercedes

lolololol, I guess it makes sense. Aim small, miss small.

12. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Aaannnd the arrogance is back! - Only this time it's delusional too! :rolleyes:

Considering that so far in 2016, in their second year with Honda power they can only just get a car into Q3 in qualifying, and they can just about get into the points in races, a smart team boss would not be spouting such arrogant nonsense to the press, and would instead keep quiet, and wait for the on-track performance to genuinely improve.

Sadly, neither McLaren nor Honda seem to learn the lessons of the recent past.

Ron Dennis got rid of Martin Whitmarsh, retook control of McLaren and declared that they would now start go back to winning ways and challenging for the championship straight away - Oops!

Honda came back into F1 with McLaren and Ron Dennis declared that now McLaren would win races and championships again because Honda were the masters of turbo technology - Oops!

Honda made various claims in 2015 about how superior their power unit was compared to their rivals efforts - Oops!

Now Ron Dennis is declaring that his team will be the one to end Mercedes domination of F1? - Oh how I hope this latest declaration of future success comes back to bite him in the arse!

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I swear the only reason they keep Ron Dennis around is to make Kimi look like he has a personality.

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Another keyboard bites the dust! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

15. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Floundering companies often start claiming bizarre things.

As already mentioned in this section, Honda are as likely to ditch F1 as they are to build something competitive. Mclaren are a mid tier team with less and less sponsorship money and increasing pressure to turn things around.

That is a volatile mix.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Poor Bruce must be turning over in his grave.....

17. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Brilliant :)

And their best friend is a brick

18. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Mercedes should stitch him up for that, give Elton a sabbatical from Mercedes for the next few races, send him over to uncle Ron to get his head back in the game, let alonso have a few races in the Mercedes, demonstrate he immediately gets on the pace and consistently finishes in the top two places while safely dicing with Nico, while Elton gets his arris handed to him in a plate by mister button, who trounces him in every qualy, but suffers the Elton lunge to end his races as uncle rons pep talks fall on deaf ears

19. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Honda is planning to use all of its engine performance 'tokens' by the Belgian Grand Prix in August. (Grandprix.com, via Auto Motor und Sport)

20. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Maybe they know something we don´t know and they´ll laugh last. FIA chose McLaren´s proposal for the new aero regs. Maybe they did the same that Mercedes did with the engine rules and proposed something that suited them. Maybe they know where the loophole is going to be. The engine can be fixed for next year without tokens and with Honda´s deep pockets.

In any case, their car is still without sponsors, so they have to say something.

21. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I think they'll at least be fighting it out regularly with RB and Ferrari in quali by next season. The chassis seems to be there. What's better than having two teams being able to fight Merc for the win? Three..

Analysis: Barcelona sector times justify McLaren?s Monaco optimism

Here then are the best times from each of the cars through Sector 3 in Spain:

1. Mercedes 28.736

2. Red Bull 28.931

3. McLaren 29.198

4. Ferrari 29.284

5. Williams 29.314

6. Toro Rosso 29.474

7. Force India 29.527

8. Renault 29.594

9. Haas 29.639

10. Sauber 29.791

11. Manor 29.966

22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The Mclaren is a respectable chassis. More power would probably surprise a few people with its capability I feel.

23. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I doubt they would say anything so silly without some data to back it up. Looking at the sector three times from Spain, maybe not so crazy after all.

24. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think the Mcl has a good chassis n aero, engine is shyte but Honda will eventually get it right.

25. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Agree but RB appears to have taken a step forward-target is always moving forward. Canada will be the measuring stick.