Halo 2017 | FerrariChat

Halo 2017

Discussion in 'F1' started by Kiwi Nick, May 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    They can call it the Halo, but it always going to be referred to as "the thong".

2. 308luver

308luver Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    So a screen that actually looked acceptable or an abomination with a nice blindspot.

Not sure why I'm surprised the powers that be chose the latter....

3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    What a stupid decision. Reminds me of my Japanese slippers.

4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I understand their decision. The aeroscreen needed some work to solve some issues (visibility with rain and dirt and impact on the aero of the car, specially on the intake scoop), while the thong is ready to go.

It's horrible anyway and I'd prefer to postpone the decision until a suitable and good looking option was available.

5. 2003Enzo

2003Enzo Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Terrible decision. A grid full of 200MPH womens sandals.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    People are too obsessed by the aesthetics and ignore the benefits of the halo; it's all about improving safety, not the look.

It's an engineering solution, not "haute couture".

7. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Dont get me wrong. I don't think anyone in the forum here wants any driver to die to have massive head injuries. But this is a complete knee jerk reaction. There were two choices, and i'm sure most people preferred the aero screen. But hey..they decided to go the other way round and use a slipper instead.

In fact, i don't mind a closed cockpit, LMP style. What i can't stand is this sudden ugly reaction, that barely protects anything.

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

They haven't solved yet the visibility issue with the aero screen.

It's alright doing 2 laps with it, but what about a whole race in the pack, with rubber, oil and various debris flying about and smearing it. Will we have aero screen tear-offs ?

At least the halo doesn't have such problem to solve.

9. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    One more nail in the f1 coffin...

10. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    Post # 2 haha.

I hope the final design doesn't have that thong pillar in the middle....blocking driver sight line.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Given enough time, F-1 engineers may come up with a halo design that is more incorporated
    into the overall design of the cars.

What we've seen so far from the Ferrari halo and Red Bull screen are simply after thoughts
    bolted onto the cars. Neither being very aesthetically pleasing but none the less function
    as a safety device.

There will be improvements on these designs and before we know it, these halos will become
    routine sights in F-1 and throughout open wheeled racing eventually.

Both Ferrari and Red Bull only did installation laps with these devices as they both reported
    that they interrupted their aero set ups. Let's see what they come up with more time.

BHW

12. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Reminds me of the movie, The Jerk.

13. 308luver

308luver Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    LeMans drivers seem to have no issues getting through their hour long stints and using tear offs... don't see how f1 cant do the same. 2 hours max usually with at least 2 pits. Likely wouldn't ever get that bad.

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    yap ,and with the areroscreen Elton can no longer say something got into his eye whenever Nico is trouncing him....

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Neither Kimi or Seb mentioned anything about the centre pillar in the middle blocking their sight line so where have you got that information from? :confused:

The centre pillar is designed to sit at a point where Human binocular vision counteracts it, so it causes no problem with site lines at all. position support posts anywhere else (one either side of the cockpit opening for example), and you will encounter site line issues.

Added to all of that, the device that Ferrari ran was just a mock up to get an idea if there were any vision issues. Bizarrely, everyone seems to think it is the actual definitive design that will be used.

16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Just hand the design over to Kar llagerfeld..it wil be great!!!

17. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    A mini wiper would solve this.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, I know ...

I think the FIA has opted for the easy solution.

19. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
  20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  21. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I think it's funny that no one even considers closed wheel cars, I mean that is flat-out blasphemy, and I will probably be run out of town on a rail for posting this.

Open wheels add much more risk and stifle true wheel-to-wheel action, but it's treated like it's some sort of mandatory feature.

Whereas an open cockpit, which has many advantages from the driver's seat, is seen as an undue risk.

I'd rather see the driver when I am watching, and I'd rather them race in close quarters without fear of a puncture or punted front wing. And as a racer, I will run my open car (despite the risks) until they force me out.

Leave the cockpit open, close the wheels, remove the wings, get your downforce from under the car. Safer, faster, more exciting.

Or run this ridiculous thing so you can feel the history.

Boggles my mind.

22. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Open wheel racing is a "type" of racing. Close in the wheels and you no longer have open wheel racing. I think there are plenty of things that are dangerous in F1. The sloped noses that submarine under cars... which we've seen a few times now in the past 3 years...yet no one cares about that. The chances of a piece of car coming down and hitting you on the head as you drive by at 100+ miles per hour are so remote. The instances where that happened were just such a tragic chain of events... much like Bianchi's crash where there were multiple reasons that all had to chain themselves together.

A driver is much more likely to be injured by debris hitting him in the face... carbon and other pieces of the cars that break off that can hit a driver is far more likely than something hitting them on top of the head. I just don't get the halo. If anything... the windscreen is far better.

23. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Closing the cockpit will not change the way the guys drive; closing the wheels will. Even high level GT, DTM, prototypes, sports cars, etc - people rub each other. You rub in an open wheel car and you may be going to a ride; even if not you are risking ending your race.

That being said, I've always been against closing the cockpit. If they force Halos on the cars I drive, I would just switch to a sports car at that point in all likelihood.

24. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Windscreen looks better for sure...but will have issue with rain, etc. Also, in testing the FIA found that the drivers helmet could make contact in a crash. So it needs a major redesign as well.