What Age did you start Watching F1? | FerrariChat

What Age did you start Watching F1?

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, May 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What Age did you start Watching F1?

1. 1-10

2. 11-20

3. 21-30

4. 31-40

5. 41-50

6. 51-60

7. 61-70

8. 70+

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I started around 8 I think. I was at an Italian wedding and all the men were out the back watching the race cheering on Ferrari :D

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ferrari still had the V12 so was around 5-6 myself. Heard them on TV and was sat fixated to the tv. Obviously didn't follow it religiously back then, I started watching almost all races in 1999.

3. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Late teens / maybe 20. I got progressively more avid about it throughout my 20s and attended my first race weekend at age 31.

All the best,
    Andrew.

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well...Ferrari still had the V12 also when I started, so I was nine myself. But that was not the same V12, and I never heard them, cos' it was 1969, and there was no TV.
    So I was nine in 1969 when I started to follow occasionally. F1 Grand Prix on TV came with the seventies (only the Monaco and French GP, however); living on the french/german border at the time I managed to catch some races on the German TV from time to time, notably the german Grand Prix on the N'ring in 1973, by this time I was really hooked...

Rgds

5. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    The Tasman series got me hooked in the '60s. International F1 drivers in (almost) current F1 cars wet my whistle
    In 1969 Jochen Rindt astounded me with his skill in the wet so I took off to Europe to follow a season of F1.
    3 years later I was still there and have been a fan ever since.
    No regrets :D

6. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    My cousin and I discovered F1 in the mid 70s, I was around 7 and he 9, been watching ever since

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Mid 60s, 15 years old. "Wide World of Sports" ABC. Jim Clark at Monaco and gearbox breaking. They were using the side walk then to set up for the turn. Also seeing Bandini killed at Monaco!!

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Don't even ever remember not watching F1 or not wanting to be an F1 driver

9. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    19 and by accident. My kids will start listening to F1 races as fetuses.

10. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    First memory of it is watching Monaco with my dad aged around 7 or 8.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    "Watching" is not the right word for me, because in 1967 (when I was 14), there was nothing to watch! "Following" would be more appropriate in my case, first in the long-defunct Auto Racing magazine, then later in Road & Track.

Of course, the catalyst for this was the movie Grand Prix, which made me a fan not only of F1 but also of the Scuderia.

Real "watching" for me began when I attended the 1975 U.S. Grand Prix, and on TV not until the 1980s, I think.

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    First g.p i remenber and can identify was Monza 78....i was 4!! I also remenber fondly Monza 79..but i have blured images of Niki Lauda driving around at Monaco in a Ferrari...so it must have been 77 and i was 3( i believe it's my oldest memory)!! Our tv was black and white,and my older brother was telling me how things were going.... whenever a ferrari broke down i would run crying to the kitchen.....i no longer do that...

13. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Quite young ;). Indoctrination from family. Present at the first GP held in Montreal and the WSC event. Pre-qualifying era was my favourite.

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Was about 6 years old watching Monza at the neighbours TV. They had a car shop and were big into F1.

15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Uau, first victory from Gilles..that's hard to beat Izzy, ;)

16. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Ha Pedro, GV 's fans were well rewarded and they deserved it, we were all freezing that first year!

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Under 10, that's for sure.

Wide World of Sports. B&W TV watching what I recall was a condensed version of Monaco F1. Probably 1964ish?

Details are scant in my brain. Also watched Indy 500 on ABC when I was about the same age as race cars have held a fascination for me since I was a little as I can remember.

Went to watch go-cart races when I was maybe 7. The kid I went to watch became my business partner, many moons later. Oh and he won his race as well. He was maybe 15-16, weighed significantly less than the "grown men" in the race, and whooped their asses on his skill+weight advantage.

So I don't really recall a time when I didn't watch stuff go around a track, fast.

D

19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    13 years old

June 1961. Belgian GP at Spa-Francorchamps - the old circuit.

I got that as a treat for good school results, would you believe!!!

Ferrari finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th!!

It couldn't have been a better introduction to Grand Prix - people didn't say F1 in those days.

I became absolutely mesmerised by circuit racing - we used to watch rallying before - and became a Ferrari fan.

Phil Hill became my hero too ...

Happy days !!!

20. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Attended my first GP at the age of 8...US Grand Prix 1970 Watkins Glen.

21. keelaboosa

keelaboosa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2006
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Watched some races when at the grandparents' house (we didn't have tv), but didn't actively follow until early 40's.

22. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I still do! Ahahahaha

23. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Started at 7. Loved cars and my grandma recorded a race for me and then started recording every race for me as I loved to watch it. Stopped when I went to uni and only caught it here and there but back religiously from 2014 and then I joined this forum and found it filled with Hamilton 'fans'

24. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    My first race was Monaco. As a schoolboy my friends and I sat on the stone wall above the entry to the Station Hairpin. The cars literally passed just below our feet. You could see into the cockpits and watch the drivers downshift just before the turn. The Station Hairpin became the Loew's Hairpin, and now it's the Fairmont Hairpin, but the stone wall is still there (albeit sadly without spectators).

25. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    My father was there. I was not around for a few more years.

First race I attended was 1970 12 Hours of Sebring and had been reading about Grand Prix events in Road and Track and Motorsport well after they happened. I also remember going over every race of the prior year when the annual Automobile Year would come out. First Grand Prix attended was US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen 1973.