Officially No Longer a Fan of Ric | FerrariChat

Officially No Longer a Fan of Ric

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, May 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've been a bit critical about Ricciardo over the last year or so. He's increasingly shown a side of him that has steadily annoyed me to the point where I might actually find myself rooting against him. He's had some **** deals the past two races... who hasn't experienced that? There's been far worse ramifications to things and strategies going wrong. In 2014 he greatly benefitted from Seb having a dreadful year of car problems that he seemed largely immune from. He won 3 races, albeit without Merc running at full strength. He seems to have somewhat hung his hat on that. I'm not going to take away anything from him as a driver. He's one of the best out there... fearless. It's his attitude that has really worn on me once I started looking past the affable nature he puts out front.

"Just save it -- nothing you could say could make it any better."

A frustrated Ricciardo bites back at Red Bull after he crosses the line when the team tries to apologise for throwing away a nailed-on victory.

At what point do you just need to be a professional and accept that things go wrong where there's no fault of your own? How many real contenders have had seemingly ridiculous car issues due to oversight? How many real contenders with perhaps a WDC on the line have been knocked out of a race by someone else's ambitious drive that in the end would mean nothing? That's F1. You get pissed and move on. Lewis has certainly done it this year despite a very lopsided mechanical season of woes. Yet he's supportive and still backs his team for the most part... even going to social media to argue against the conspiracy theories. Seb... Nico... even Alonso have been towing the line and these guys have proven records with potentially more to gain. How does Ric react?

Spain:
    Daniel Ricciardo 'bitter' after Red Bull strategy call in Spain

Daniel Ricciardo still frustrated by events at the Spanish GP

Monaco:
    Daniel Ricciardo - Monaco the second race in a row I've been screwed

Daniel Ricciardo on Red Bull Monaco foul-up - I'm not sure where to go from here

"I'm not sure where to go from here.." Really? My God. It's time to take off your maxi-pad and do a nut check. He pretty much had half a race to get Lewis and couldn't do it. Where were his "big Australian balls" then? He also benefitted from a rolling start where he had no challenge at the start. He doesn't mention that. He's very quick to talk himself up but because he does it with his big smile, it comes across as confident as opposed to annoyingly arrogant. He credits himself more often and more quickly than any other driver that I can think of. Lewis, Seb, Nico... the top drivers right now all recognize that in this era of F1, it's a team sport. It's the hundreds of people at Milton-Keynes... all the people at the track doing a ton of work to make things happen. He's a big part of it certainly, but so are they. In these times of F1, you win as a team and you lose as a team. I don't think he gets that at all.

He wants the new engine... gets it, then discounts it's benefit. Why because it's him who makes the difference:
    Daniel Ricciardo - Pace not just down to Renault upgrade

I'm sure he's being a bit facetious, but when taken in total with other comments, I wonder just how much so.

I know he has a lot of fans... I used to be one of them. It's hard not to like the guy. He's an outstanding talent and has a very unlike-F1 personality. But when I look closer and listen carefully and look past the smile that everyone talks about... to me he comes across as arrogant and ungrateful... someone who sees himself as the reason for any success and others for any failures.

I'm hoping my opinion changes in time. I think I just expect a little more fortitude in the face of adversity from these guys rather than this sorry bewilderment he's experiencing. Maybe I'm cherry-picking a bit as well, but for all the people who hate Seb or Lewis or Nico... the three who have been more or less the headliners the past couple years... and are constantly called out as whiners, babies, and worse anytime they get upset at anything... Ric has just gotten this free pass though I think he's worse than all of them combined.

2. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    This season isn't going well for Ricci so it isn't surprising that he's not happy. He's been robbed of not one, but two GP victories and now he's been saddled with a better driver as his team mate. It's a pretty bad deal all round from his perspective.

I also think there is a fair degree of frustration built up in him. He now has a potentially championship winning car, but is a long way behind in the points. Every point counts and is precious from here all the way to Abu Dhabi and he knows it. What we are seeing is the frustration of a very good and highly motivated driver - nothing wrong in that.

3. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    The most recent threads you've created below. Maybe stop following the sport and save yourself the aggravation. It's a shame the tone of the F1 forum has become so negative, F1 sucks, Ferrari sucks, Hamilton is an idiot, all the other drivers whine, are *******s or slow, etc etc.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/f1/523547-officially-no-longer-fan-ric.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/f1/522166-funny-how-some-folks-dont-know-when-shut-up.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/f1/523240-their-pace-real-okay.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/f1/522832-mclaren-diluted-fools-genius.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/f1/522166-funny-how-some-folks-dont-know-when-shut-up.html

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Agree'd others are far worse in their demeanor and arrogance. Ricci is ok.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I am disappointed with his comments as well, but I think he will get his head on straight. He is with the 2nd best team at the moment and opportunity is knocking.

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    That tire change ta Monaco was a disaster for Red Bull. Ricardo has all the reason in the world to be upset.

7. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    +1

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Spain I was a bit ''Ricci...shut up''. Monaco he is 100% on point. Team called him in, team didn't have tires ready.

He'll get over it. I'm still a massive fan. As long as he doesn't get a perma-pout a la Hamilton (when he's not first everywhere), he'll be good.

9. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't think I've started nor really contributed to any of the "sucks" thread. You seem to watch my posts carefully so I would've thought you'd not include me in those since those aren't any of mine. Also, I don't really think my posts are negative per se. Don't really see where I've said anyone sucks or are horrible like you've stated. In fact, I don't see where any of those above posts are overtly critical. In Ric's case, I point out that I do think he's an amazing talent... I just don't like how he's handled the adversity. Commenting on stories that are currently in F1 news is something I like to do because it gives everyone a chance to express their thoughts on a topic... one that I did not create. So I don't see the negativity in that and I feel like I balance any criticism fairly well.

The McLaren thread... not negative at all... just pointing out some odd commentary and noted they could be the biggest surprise if they do have something up their sleeve.

Basically, I'm sharing my thoughts on one subject or another and unlike some posters here, I at least lay out my reason behind my opinions. I'm not saying I'm right or that you need to agree with me.

I could go, but i'll stop there. You're bunching me in with a contingent of folks who relentlessly bash one particular driver or another just because they don't like them or they bash the sport itself. If you're going to call me out... which is fine by the way... do it with a bit more than the usual "just stop watching" retort... especially when your criticism is not even accurate to what I've said.

10. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't disagree at all. I just really disapprove of how he's called his team out publically... even on the podium. I think they deserve a bit more than that from him.

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    +1

He just lost the crown jewel of motorsports because his team didn't have the ****ing tires ready when he came in. One of the most laughably ridiculous things I've seen in F1 in 20+ years of watching.

I would be PISSED.

12. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    As Fernando Alonso said, you can't expect a rational answer from a driver after two hours of driving like hell.

Or maybe it's just that Ricciardo wants to renegotiate his salary.

13. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Well he is a bit outspoken lately he's generally pretty good. There are far worse as noted above. Love or hate Schumacher he generally always was supportive of the team in public, who knows what got said behind closed doors, but I had immense respect for him.

14. No Lotus

No Lotus Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    Hey, the guy was upset, perfectly understandable in the moment. Try putting yourself in those shoes, so close to a lifetime achievement that he had done everything to deserve. It was his most impressive drive to date and shows, without question, that he is an absolute top level driver. He is going to win some races this year against the Mercs and I am looking forward to it.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    +1

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I still love Ricci very much and don't blame him one bit for being upset
    The team F**ked him twice in a row - Senna would have put a spanner up Horners ass

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    And add to this that:
    - he is no longer the n°2 of the team, that has not much responsibility other than simply enjoyed beating the n°1, as he did in 2014.
    - nor has he the valid excuse of a car unable to win, as in 2015.

He is the designated n°1, who has the weigth of the team on his shoulders, and now has finally a car that seem able to push the Mercedes...
    But got robbed of a chance of a victory in Spain, victory that went to his young debutante of a n°2...
    And got robbed again of a possible victory in Monaco by the tyres not being where they should have been.

Bit of pressure, actually. Much too soon to decide that he is no longer the likeable Daniel...

Rgds

18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

Yep, chances like that don't come very often: 2 consecutive race he COULD have won.

Every time let down by his team.

Come on Horner, what are you doing !!!

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't agree. I prefer someone to speak his mind in such circumstances and to call a cat a cat, rather than reversing to some rehearsed PR for the media.

In the old days, the driver would have come back to his pit and start kicking the furniture whilst yelling. That's the way to let off steam.
    Pity that now it's all about decorum...
    Bottling your emotions is very bad for anyone.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

We don't know, but maybe Christian Horner is begging Mateschitz to let him keep his job.

Marko will decide ...

21. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    He has a right to be mad. As long as he doesn't start whining like Vettel

22. 308luver

308luver Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    I agree, right up there with massa's Singapore fiasco.

23. toparkt

toparkt Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2006
    orange county
    Full Name:
    Andrew Goetz
    Nobody gets to F-1 level without extreme talent & dedication. The only "judges"
    on conduct have to be people who have been there.. as the saying "walk a mile in my shoes"....

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said

25. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    +1 Just because we see him smile all the time, doesn't mean he can't have a bad day.