BBC Schumacher Overview | FerrariChat

BBC Schumacher Overview

Discussion in 'F1' started by Sig. Roma, Jun 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
  2. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    I forget exactly where I read it, but someone (perhaps Brawn) had commented once about exactly this. Something along the lines of, yeah he works incredibly hard, complete driver, team-builder and all that, but don't forget that he's also bloody fast.

3. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    He was the total package .never once complained about his team or other drivers just got on with it

4. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I seem to recall a couple of dust-ups with Coulthard (well-earned by David, I must say)

5. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    He absolutely was. That said, what did he really have to complain about the team? They had the best car most of the time. As far as other drivers go, again why would he? He was clearly the best of his time, although I do remember him complaining about Senna in Kylami in 93.

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I wonder if Vettel wants to emulate Schumi by rescuing Ferrari.

7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Rea's words encapsulate what schumi is to F1, he brought a team from the brink of nowhere to the top of the world. It took time, dedication, intelligence and skill, but he as the driver of all time performed to the absolute zenith of that possible for any, and he did it week in, week out

No excuses, no recriminations, no whining in the radio about this driver or that pit decision, just a computer like logic and analysis that continued through the heat of the battle on the track, and pounding out the laps at fiorano finding those extra tenths and hundredths that the following weekend would see the team taste the champagne again.

Formidable, fantastic, gracious in defeat and indomitable in victory...... Forza Michael

8. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Schumacher is truly a god of racing. To me no one comes close

9. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I don't believe any other driver can have such an influence on the car, and provide the validation of new parts and systems, that Michael did, because even if they had the testing time available, I don't see that any of them are on the same level of work ethic or outright ability that he had at that time I don't think teams, Ferrari included, are even set up to do it the hard way any more, it's all computer models and scale model testing now, which as Ferrari know, is fraught with errors

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Right now I can only see Vettel with the same work ethic. From all I read about him, he wants to know as much as Schumacher did about the car, parts etc. If testing was allowed I'm sure he'd clock in as many hours, too.

11. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Michael was an amazing driver!!! I doubt there will be someone else like him ever. As far as Vettel, he has the potential but the curcimstances don't help him.

12. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    well said

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    i HAVE TO SAY THE CLOSEST DRIVER I CANSEE COMPARED TO mICHAEL IS LAUDA....he also did it all,and before his accident he was also bloody fast....

14. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    I admire him as well. I am sure that Seb is trying to do the same for Ferrari. They just got tripped up by the engine change and MB has had an advantage ever since. SF is closer but the new ultrasofts are another wrinkle. Without testing it is very difficult. I think Senna captured more hearts, mine included, but lots of people hate Schumi BECAUSE he was so good. Sometimes racing incidents happen but I don't think Schumi was as evil as Prost. That shunt at Suzuka will never be forgotten. He totally turned in early on Senna going for the gap. It all made evil sense when you remember Prost had the points to win if both crashed out.

15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    He had every right to defend his position...he just gave Senna a taste of his own medicine...

16. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    It came at the end of a season where more often than not, Balestre was helping Prost politically to derail Senna, as he was terrified Of the young upstart! Senna certainly reversed matters the following year!

17. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I think you have this wrong, Senna had the points if he crashed Prost out. That move was never going to happen. Senna knew it and he crashed out Prost on purpose. Point blank. Or are you talking about 1989?

18. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Forza schumi!!!

There may have been questionable moments in his career but it all pales in comparison to all his triumphs. Please don't liken Seb to him and taint Schumi's legacy, the only thing they have in common is their nationality.

19. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    None of the drivers on the grid today even come close to MS.

20. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Not as the complete package. Raw talent I think Alonso and Hamilton are up there, but not as good. Alonso is the closest IMO.

21. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I think raw talent, Kimi is the closest, maybe even better then MS.

22. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Kimi is a great driver no doubt but he's error-prone. Plus he appears to not live a super-fit, healthy lifestyle and that's gotta impact his results. Schumi was the model for fitness, not only for F1 but for professional sports overall.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

23. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Maybe twelve years ago. Kimi never showed the commitment the MS and a few others have. That's probably why he's had a bit of a mixed bag career wise.

24. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Agreed.

25. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    what do you base this on out of curiosity?