Is it just me of is F1 less enjoyable than it is in the late 90s to 2001? | FerrariChat

Is it just me of is F1 less enjoyable than it is in the late 90s to 2001?

Discussion in 'F1' started by ren0312, Jun 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ren0312

ren0312 Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    #1 ren0312, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    Is it just me or is F1 just less enjoyable nowadays? Or is it just nostalgia? I mean the cars today are a lot faster and have better braking and cornering performance, compared to the F399, F300, F2000, or the 2000 Mclaren, but then personally, the cars back then were a lot better looking and better sounding, although in pure performance are would be massively outclassed in all categories except straight line speed. Plus now you do not have the old tracks anymore like Hockenheim, Argentina, Imola, Magny Cours, or the old bus stop chicane at Spa. Plus I miss the fuel stops and the randomness they gave to pit strategy, plus the race info being displayed on TV nowadays is too small compared to 2000, and I cannot see it on the TV, since I still use an old fashioned nonHD CRT TV. I do not think the problem is the cars not sounding as loud, the problem is that the V6s and V8s just sound not as good as the V10.

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It's not as enjoyable.

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Just watch Rush. These cars today suck.

4. ren0312

ren0312 Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    I just watch old F1 reruns from the late 90s to 2001 nowadays, anything earlier than 1998 or 1997 and the resolution is just too bad for it to be enjoyable.

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    You should have seen it in the 60s and 70s!

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I didn't start watching F1 until the 80s. ESPN. Then Speed. Sigh.

7. ren0312

ren0312 Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    #7 ren0312, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    As I said, I tried watching early 90s and 80s F1, and the resolution and picture quality was just so bad, to the point where it was not enjoyable to watch. I am just used to the better quality of resolution from about 1998 on wards, when I first started watching. 1997 is just barely acceptable but still watchable. My standards is that you should be able to make out at least the larger ads on the cars. For example, I was watching a rerun of the 1995 Canadian Grand Prix, and the picture quality was just so bad, compared to 1998.

8. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Remember when Speed us to play the race weekend from ten years prior to whatever round was being run that weekend (ie during Monaco 2002 they replayed Monaco 1992)? They called it F1 Classics or something. I loved that.

Mark

Mark

9. ren0312

ren0312 Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    Although to be fair it was still OK up until 2010 or so.

10. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    That F1 was proper F1 - the pinnacle of Motorsport. Today, the 'F1' you watch every other weekend is a poor facsimile of the sport, it's more like a parody than a true sport. Yeah, the cars are fast, but then, a tesla is fast, I'd still rather drive a fast petrol car than a boring, whisper quiet generic box anyday, and if I wanted to be driven home, I'd get a cab

11. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I guess I'm gonna get in trouble again, but have to note; "Bwah, bwah, bwah!" Again!

The rose tinteds get thicker the older we get I guess;

- They're pretty much as fast as they've ever been.
    - There's more of 'em within a second or so of pole than there's ever been.
    - They're more reliable than they've ever been.
    - They're (way) more efficient than they've ever been.

If they could fix the sound I think many would be saying we're in some kind of "halcyon" age! But of course, the rose tinteds come into play when looking back....... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

12. ren0312

ren0312 Karting

Aug 5, 2006
    I though one of the good points of the old F1 was to have half of the field fall out every race, including the top teams' cars? Thus giving the Tyrells, Arrows, and Minardis a chance to score points.

13. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    An "empty" track is an empty track, regardless of who's still running.

Dunno how far back you go, but 2-3 cars finishing on the lead lap, and half a dozen finishing at all, wasn't exactly "riveting" IMO.

We still see guys "fighting over their weight" every now & again - Great stuff. But their success (& remember, they give points thru 10th now!) isn't, or shouldn't IMO, be a big part of it - The cream will always rise.

Cheers,
    Ian

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

The races most remember are remembered for one reason: they where worth remembering! arnoux vs villeneuve? That didn't happen every weekend. There's a reason for it being linked so often or being put as an example ''this is what F1 should be!''...because it was an incredibly rare exception.

You want to see cars overtaking each other constantly? Watch Indycar. You want to see close battles for the win, having cars finish within .2 of a second in a group of 4? Watch NASCAR. Artificial as can be, but you'll have your close finishes!

it *sucks* that right now we rarely have any competition for the lead cars and that the winner is very predictable (it'll be a silver car). Beyond that? Utterly unpredictable. We have Ferrari and Red Bull dicing it out. We have STR, Williams, Force India and Mclaren battling for positions, even with new boy Haas thrown in when the car is right.

The noise is ****e, that's for damn sure, and hopefully F1 sees sense in the not too distant future and just goes to NA again.

If Ferrari/RBR can get on the same level as Mercedes, we'd all be reveling how exciting formula 1 is. Merc domination won't last forever, and I wish for it to end on a daily occasion, but the racing behind those 2 is pretty damn good I say..

15. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    The last several years, I have been bored to tears with F1. The constant stupid engine rule changes have produced unreliable cars so you can't even manage a field of cars that complete the race. There's almost no competition between teams right now. And I'm not even going to get into how they sound. If I want to hear real F1 sound, I have to get in my own 360 with Capristo exhaust. THAT is how a race car should sound.

Moto GP, on the other hand, is great.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It would be much better with more teams competing and beating each other during the season. I don't care if it's Ferrari winning every race-- its BORING. There's no excitement when you already know the outcome before the race starts.

I blame the TESTING ban and other idiotic rules to lower costs. There's no real way to leapfrog through the season. You start out strong or you start out weak, and that's how you end.

Right now I feel Ferrari should just give up racing this year (like put the cars in the garage) and start working 100% on next year's car. The rest of the season is meaningless.

17. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Im happy with F1 and will be attending races and watching every 1 and almost all the practice.

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    More or less agreed. I hate the Merc domination, and still not impressed with the (lack of) noise, but like I said in my other post, the racing from P3 downwards is pretty damn fantastic.

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Cars are extremely reliable these days.

Constant engine changes? Forced V10 was in 1998 I think, but everyone was already running them. 2006 was V8's. 2014 V6. Not that often...I do agree that the current engine is stupid. If only they would make the engine atmospheric and add a couple of cilinders then all is well in my book regarding engines.

20. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Maybe there is too much aero grip to see real car control, at least in the dry? In the old days there was a zone between full grip and loss of control where the greats would operate. Now that zone, between in control and total loss of grip, doesn't seem to exist or is so narrow we can't pick it up by eye.

Also the driver is less visible, increasingly buried deep in the cockpit, when you see Prost/Senna era footage the driver's arms can be seen. Soon there will be a Halo (or the Redbull screen) further obscuring the man.

Finally I would say that the drivers are increasingly less interesting, more athletic and younger products of a development system rather than adults with life experiences that they bring to racing. Same for most sports I guess.

At least something remains a totally un-predictable and glamorous opera full of machinating personalities, highs and lows, sweet victories and humiliating defeats. Scuderia Ferrari of course. Forza !

21. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You have some points.

The sound does suck.
    The new tracks are eh...and in really questionable places; they have no history.

However, there have been some really good races this year IMHO.

You talk about pit strategy and randomness, etc. The grass is always greener IMO there also. Look at Indycar. The randomness and the number of pit stops actually makes it hard for the fans to follow the race and who is in contention. You find that the entire field swaps positions at non-intuitive times. Sometimes this leads to awesome racing, but other times it leads to weird, anti-climatic finishes based on strategy that no one can follow in real time. I still think Indy is the best *driver* racing right now, although not necessarily due to the fueling/pit but rather the spec Dallara.

Also - get a new TV. Are you serious? : ) You can get a solid, large HD TV for under 1k now.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :eek: I missed that bit!

My mom just bought a small size HD TV to fit in the closet and that was only €175 new!

You can get 60''+ for under a grand (NEW!)...

CRT. Wow...I'm astonished :D.

23. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I had the same thought about the f1 sound before I attended a real 2016 F1 race.

The real 2016 F1 car sound, 50 meters away, is way more loud and more beautiful than 360 with a capristo, or a CS, or even an enzo. There's absolutely no comparison.
    This is coming from a CS owner.

One of the reason we thought that way is proabably because of the TV onboard sound, which is muted and distorted.

But I do reckon that the v8 v10 cars sound definately better, even on TV. hehe

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Lol

25. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    F1 has been mediocre since 2012. Domination is no fun to watch. Throw in the "meh" new engines and I'm certainly less excited about it than I used to be. Now we have the cockpit halo. yay.