Merc won't win the 2017 title without a definitive number 2 | FerrariChat

Merc won't win the 2017 title without a definitive number 2

Discussion in 'F1' started by toil, Jun 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    The other teams are closing fast and Lewis and nico are always taking point off each other. They could most likely win every race this year if they have one very quick driver and then someone slow and compliant who can at Least qualify in second and then hold off the pack. This is how Schumacher won so many times and frrrrari have Kimi to do the same for Vettel

I think merc know this and this is why rosy hasn't yet been renewed. In 2014 and 15 they could afford it. Not so much this year and definitely not next year. If Kimi doesn't get renewed by Ferrari I think they should go after him. Provlem is he is a tad too slow to always qualify second and I think wherlein should be even worse. Maybe someone like massa if he can avoid hitting Hamilton :p

Thoughts

2. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    Interesting. Although I don't think this is entirely the reason Rosberg has not been re-signed (sounds like $ and term, recall it took Hamilton's renewal a long time), its not crazy to think the team may want to build around Hamilton, especially considering the strength of the engine. 2017 is such an unknown, who is going to help develop the car, do you want a newbie learning the team and such with new regulations? Alonso in the same car would be a disaster, Merc is lucky to have Rosberg who can fight with Hamilton but may not have the killer edge like him. Alonso does...

3. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    You must be seriously kidding, that can not be serious???
    You complaint that others WDC are not as valuable as Hamiltons because he did not have a clear no.2 and as soon as the Mercedes is not completely dominant (at least a second clear) you ask for a no.2 driver to back him up....This is the last proof that you are trolling because it is impossible that one can condradict himself that much without purpose...
    I think it would help Mercedes if Hamilton would not start to push out his team mate at every single occasion, without him doing so Mercedes would have won every single race this year even without team orders!!!

And to state that Schumacher often won because the no.2 hold of the pack is so far from reality, that does not even work with tinted glasses...

I get the impression that after every absurd comment you did you just try to put one on top the next day...There was a time when I thought that one might have a conversation with you but I guess those days are gone, today you simply try to get as much attention as possible, no matter how....

4. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    I don't want attention at all? You choose to react to my posts this way not me. I would rather everyone reacted in a calm and rational manner and not try blame Hamilton for everything and try and pursecute the few Hamilton fans that are on a Ferrari forum. I don't want merc to employ a **** driver i am just saying that if they want to win the title next year they are going to have to. I would much rather alonso or Vettel or Ricci took the other merc seat so you all can see that Lewis is better than them

Apparently nicos contract negotiations have stalled because merc want a one year deal so they can then promote wherlein and rosberg wants a 3.

In my personal opinion I feel they must know wherlein isn't the real deal. Hamilton will crush him. But they want another German driver who will be subservient to Hamilton. Rosberg, whilst not as good as Hamilton, is far too quick to be a generic number 2 and will damage future title hopes

5. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    A rational discussion with you? Tried that, did not work at all...You bend your reasoning from one side to the other depending whether it suits you or not...One day you say Rosberg is fast, the other he is a joke and slow, how can one argue with such inconsistency in a rational way???
    And you feel pursecuted? Playing victim again? Why are you here if it is such a horrible place? -> You are either masochistic or eager to get attention!

6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    No one cares.

7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    +1,000,000

8. zhaxcwlv

zhaxcwlv Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    How would Rosberg win Monaco?

9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Rosberg is holding out because he knows he is worth it, he's as good as Elton in all ways except that he won't cheat to win and then claim he is persecuted, unlike his illustrious teammate.

Without Mercedes allowing Elton to get away with smashing rosberg off track, and side swiping him at every opportunity, the dum dum would be nowhere like he was in the first four races.

Im wondering if Mercedes have been told to spice up the battle, Nico was making it too easy, and are thus allowing Elton off his leash with the cheating to make it a 'battle' for the title, for what it's worth. Hopefully, Nico now takes back the initiative and goes on to win a title

10. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Irvine has written on several occasions that he couldn't live with Schumacher's pace, he was on another level altogether.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    While I do not agree with Toil ... Ferrari did tactically use Irvine and Barrichello to create gaps for Schumacher.

Yes no doubt Schumacher was much faster but this did happen and was required back then to grab the WDC. Once Ferrari got their act together and designed dominating cars this tactic was not needed, but from 95 to 2000 this was used when required to make sure ... and fair enough.

Do I have proof, nope but I do remember watching races such as the French GP and the commentators discussing what was happening.
    Pete

12. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    So far Mercedes is 1-2 in the championship and has won all races but one (that was lost only because their drivers are idiots). Ferrari or Red Bull would need a miracle to become a real threat to Mercedes; yes, they´re getting closer but they´d need to become VERY superior because they´re already 30 or 40 points down. So unless the Mercedes drivers keep doing idiotic things like crashing between them, they´re safe.

13. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I think Ros is an excellent number 2. No reason to swap him. He is fast, but not as fast as Ham. He is steady. He can win. He is a much better number 2 than Barrichello or Irvine ever were. Merc has the perfect team set up as far as I'm concerned.

Clearly, it will be even better if they take each other out a bit more frequently..! ;)

14. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Why Rosberg? Would you please re-read what I said? Mercedes DID win Monaco!

15. zhaxcwlv

zhaxcwlv Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    You said without team orders.

Without team orders, Lewis finishes 2nd. Rosberg further down

16. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Yep, Lewis is having his head get out of control once again, risking another double DNF. Time he is swapped with Wehrlein for a race or two to cool down. Or perhaps just put in place and made understood that for the benefit of all he will be #2 for the remainder of 2016.

17. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Hamilton could have won Monaco without team orders if he just overtook Rosberg like others did...I would rather say that staying behind Rosberg was team order after the disastrous result two weeks before until they allowed the change in position without risking anything. No way that Hamilton would have stayed behind such a slow car without being told so.

So yes: Mercedes could have won every race without team order! They did not win Monaco because of team orders but because of RB screwing the pit stop, but this is a different story.

18. zhaxcwlv

zhaxcwlv Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    The others overtook Rosberg at the pit stops. Of course Lewis could've attempted the overtake before the pitstops, but Ricciardo was pulling away at 2 to 3 seconds a lap. Ricciardo would have been too far ahead by the time Lewis successfully completed an overtake. Lewis would not have won without team orders.

19. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Even Hulkenberg did overtake Rosberg at the end of the race showing how much problems Rosberg had and Hamilton had a much faster car than Hulkenberg. I think he did not try to hard because he would have become a problem with his team if it did not work out, especially after what happened two weeks before. So I would rather say that "not overtaking" was already team order...

20. zhaxcwlv

zhaxcwlv Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    LOL. Sure, whatever makes you sleep better. I'm done here.

21. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Lol, running out of arguments? Believe me, I do not need that to sleep good.
    But you are splitting hairs anyway because our discussion has nothing to do with what was said in the opening post...

22. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    You guy are hilarious … did you forget to put the smiley face behind your post … because, Shirley you jest :)

G

23. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Never joke about Elton, mean everything I say, and twice on Sunday's. Guys a moron

24. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Rosbergs an awesome driver. Id give him 95% the capabilities of hamilton without the bs attention seeking nonsense. But let's be honest lewis is quicker more often than not. If anyone doesn't see that their bias is getting in the way.

25. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Rosberg's skill is comparable for sure, but he doesn't appear to be ruthless in the way that Vettel or Hamilton is. (or MS previously, for that matter)

OTOH, he doesn't whine as much as them either....Hamilton and Vettel, not Schumacher...lol