Pre, Pre, Pre Grand Prix of Europe - Baku - thoughts? | FerrariChat

Pre, Pre, Pre Grand Prix of Europe - Baku - thoughts?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Robb, Jun 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    New city circuit supposed to be very fast.

Which teams and drivers should fare well?

Think the circuit will have any likely pinch points causing wrecks and safety cars? I've heard there is a "pinpoint" wall placed along the circuit.

Will be watching from Maranello / Modena. Me in red... My wife in silver / teal... :D

Robb

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Thanks for the link.

Robb

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    It looks boring. I hope I'm wrong :eek:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQgAET0KczI[/ame]

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

OK it will be hot! https://weather.com/weather/weekend/l/AJXX0001:1:AJ

BBC overview and track map. Its a Mercedes track it seems - Azerbaijan Grand Prix: Formula 1 sets off on a journey into the unknown - BBC Sport

Brake and tire wear for all my friends! Seems like a course with short turns and long straights so speed will matter. Can Williams find a way to out qualy Red Bull and or Ferrari. A touch wishful but fun to ponder! :)

Ok worse than I thought for Red Bull - Red Bull 'will lose 1.2s on Baku F1 straight' - Marko
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124780/red-bull-will-lose-12s-on-baku-straight

Qualy - LH with the momentum from Canada
    Bottas - My 'dark horse' surprise in qualy
    Kimi - maybe he gets it right

Race LH - momentum
    Vettel - better in the race than Kimi
    Max - Fearless and willing to explore track limits more than others(That might catch him out here as well!)

5. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven

I never before saw Marko making comments like that. I think he's sadbagging a little.

Max indeed will be fearless but his trackrecord on street circuits ( Macau, Monaco) is not that impressive.

If, however, he keeps his can on the track I predict a top three finish for him.
    The other two top three finisher probably be Hami and Rosberg.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    33° Celsius forecast; tyre wear will be an issue for some, especially Willams I believe...

Rgds

7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I guess Ferrari will finaly win a race...

8. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    #9 NEP, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    That tower is lucky Maldonado is not racing!!!

10. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Perhaps "Torpedo" Daniil will hit it!

11. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    If it's going to be that hot and tyre wear becomes critical, look for a strong run from Perez...

12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    A new circuit and none of the teams have any data, it might be an equalizer. Or Mercedes might just annihilate everyone.

13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Some of those areas do not look safe for the drivers or spectators.

14. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I wonder if it's been 'scanned' for the simulators?

I think it looks awesome! Kind of Monaco 'heavy'! Don't screw up!

Very different to the miles of tarmac runoff areas ala the usual Tilke domes we're getting accustomed to.

Cheers,
    Ian

15. DF1

Williams said simulation data was not perfect or available in the link I posted. I believe.

16. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #17 itschris, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    I hope that tower in the pic is not the final version of the track. That looks awful dangerous... actually... that entire pic looks dangerous.

"Ok worse than I thought for Red Bull - Red Bull 'will lose 1.2s on Baku F1 straight' - Marko
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report...-baku-straight"

I think Merc is going to run away with this race. All this talk from Toto about how RB and Ferrari are on pace with them is nonsense. They're going to power done those straights and add tenths to their lead every lap. Their car may not be as good as RB in all the twisty bits, but it's certainly no slouch and probably better than Ferrari. I think the real question will be how much did RB really catch up to Ferrari power-wise. If they're close, Ferrari could have a really tough day with Ric and Max both having a lot to prove for different reasons. The track is wide so it could reward those with the most balls who brake last and risk taking out the castle. We'll see.

If there are safety cars in the race, and it certainly looks like a track where there easily could be, I'm not sure what's going to happen. If the strategy changes and there's a need for quick changes and last minute calls, Williams doesn't have a chance and Ferrari will likely suffer as well. Williams has this recent history of making calls that are just 180 degrees from what they should have been and Ferrari hasn't done much better when it's counted and has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory more than a couple times now.

17. DF1

Seems you have others who feel the same!

Force India will thrive at European Grand Prix, says Johnny Herbert | F1 News

Ferrari need to qualify well and get ahead of Williams and Force India. Behind them they will be in trouble and suffer with dirty air and tire wear.

18. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I disagree, Ferrari were right there with Merc at Canada which is a HP track and somewhat similar to this - long straights with slow corners. I think we'll see somewhat similar results to what was in Canada but with the warmer temps, teams that struggled with getting the tires turned on should actually be in better shape than they were there.

19. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    This part of the track is flippin awesome. Looks like something from the 60s!

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If you look closely, you can see the marks along the left side of the road where the concrete barriers were yet to be installed, and they extend all the way past the tower. I'll bet there will be tires in front of the walls on the right side of the photo. Anyone who doesn't go through there single-file will be an idiot.

Still, F1 needs to figure out a way to add SAFER barriers to the temporary concrete walls that go up along temporary circuits.

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The track is certainly interesting,it is unlike anything else on the calendar. There is the possibility for some remarkable results--car set-ups, team strategies and exceptional driving. F1 needs to shake things up, maybe it will happen in Baku.

22. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Correct.

Like Monaco, Armco barriers will be in place on the LHS.

23. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    #24 NEP, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    2016 Baku City Circuit

Track: 6,003 Kilometres / 3.730 Miles
    51 laps - 306,049 Km / 190.179 Miles
    Startline / Finishline Offset: 104 m / 341'

Two DRS Zones, with single detection point located at Turn 20.
    1st Zone: 630 m / 2067' before Turn 3 braking point.
    2nd Zone: 730 m / 2395' before Turn 1 braking point.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login