Arrivabene believes one victory could be enough | FerrariChat

Arrivabene believes one victory could be enough

Discussion in 'F1' started by racerx3317, Jun 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Discuss.....:)

Maurizio Arrivabene - Ferrari can claim title with one win

"Maurizio Arrivabene believes one victory could be enough for Ferrari to win the 2016 drivers' title if it remains consistent and keeps the pressure on Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton.

Despite running Mercedes close on several occasions Ferrari is yet to claim a win in 2016, with Sebastian Vettel recently admitting the team has fallen short of its own expectations. Though the team is 81 points behind Mercedes in the constructors' championship, consistent podiums from Vettel and teammate Kimi Raikkonen have kept both closer to the leading Mercedes pair.

With momentum swinging back and forth between Rosberg and Hamilton and the pair allowed to race by Mercedes, something which led to a collision in Spain, Arrivabene thinks consistency at this stage of the season is vitally important with upgrades on the way.

"It is not just a matter of the number of race wins - but about how you can put pressure on those ahead of us," the Ferrari team boss said. "We must take into account that Rosberg and Hamilton will take points from each other, because otherwise it would be tough.

"The championship is long and we have had several unfortunate days - while they have had only one bad occasions. But if it happens then it is very easy to climb up the points table. We have to believe and have to be positive.

"In Canada we were not far from Mercedes. In Baku, we looked to be in bad shape but then we got on the podium. To me it would be fine to win the title with one win, just as Keke Rosberg did [in 1982]."

When asked if Hamilton, who trails Rosberg by 24 points, could be an ally in helping Ferrari catch Rosberg, he replied: "Why not? The perfect thing would be that first he is an ally, but then of course he will become the main opponent. There are still 13 races to go, the season is still very long."

2. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hmm... I'm not sure a single victory would be enough given the dominance of the Mercedes car and the fact that the overwhelming majority of the races will be won by one of their drivers. He's being a bit optimistic there.

All the best,
    Andrew.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Thats an amazing plan for success. From multiple race victory plan to, well, we will take one and hope we win a drivers title. Thats is not an idea that should be published. I do not feel anymore hopeful for the team at all :)

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's ''possible'' with 1. But we need ****loads of luck, and we can't bet on that.

Lets wait how the coming upgrade packs out before we start discussing an actual chance for the title.

And ignore the many tokens Mercedes has left...

5. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    And you people call me crazy, lol.

From aiming for race wins to this...if this still doesn't mean Ferrari sucks, then I don't know what does...

Time to focus on next season...

6. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    maybe they could use the tokens to teach hammy how to operate the steering wheel controls.

seriously these upgrades better be earth-shattering in terms of aero/chassis performance. don't think they are too far off in terms of engine power.

7. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I just wanna know how his supplier is. That Italian stuff he's smoking must be fantastic....

8. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I thought this was one of those complete the sentence threads. If it were,

....to save his job.

The only way they can win WDC with one win, is if you have Kimi take out Ham and Nico in each race via racing incidents.

9. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #9 Rosso328, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    I immediately thought of a subtle jab against a certain Mr. Rosberg.

Not the one currently leading the championship, the one who took home the title without ever winning a race that year.

Perhaps it's just my very odd brain that thinks these things. :)

Edit: Link finally opened. I guess it wasn't a subtle jab after all - Arrivabene specifically called it out. Odd, though, he says Keke won one race, but I seem to have it firmly in my mind that he did not. Ah, the fallibility of the human memory.

10. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    I could have sworn that Keke didn't win a race in '82 either - turns out he won the Swiss GP.

Bless the interwebs lol.

Best,
    Sammy

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Mercedes is running the table, they show a calculated advantage to create the illusion of competition. When other teams increase their performance, so will Mercedes. WDC and Constructors this year and probably next.

12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    From winning 3 last year...? Then that means a win-less 2017, he'll still have his job...lol

13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The last thing Ferrari needs to do is sack more team principals. He's doing well. He's a good motivator for the team. Let him run at it, having another team principal brought in now only means we'll be writing of another season. Just because we're not winning now doesn't mean it's his fault or that wins won't come anymore. Where would Ferrari be if they sacked Todt before end of 95? Probably known as those cars that used to drive in F1, got impatient when their new principal didn't turn their team into title contenders when the competition was very strong...Todt then went to Williams and they won 10 consecutive titles...I believe the cars where red!

;)

14. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Yeah but that year had something like 11 different winners. No one won more than two races. It really doesn't apply. Unless Rosberg and Hamilton get kidnapped one of them is winning the title. Ferrari doesn't seem able to win one darned race.

15. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It doesn't matter what Arrivabene thinks...what does sweater boy think?

16. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    DNFs were allowed back in the day, and although there were only 12 finishers on average, at least the outcome was unpredictable. Ban the limiters! ;)

17. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    They should unban in season testing and dump the simulators!

18. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I love my team, but it seems like Ferrari are just as bad at math as they are at determining race strategy.

19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

Now it looks like Arrivabene has written his suicide note ...

20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

LOL

21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

A contrasting analysis of the issues Ferrari face - What's wrong at Ferrari? | F1 News

22. F1Nova

F1Nova Karting

Nov 29, 2012
    Aitutaki
    Yes, but with others development, just how far CAN they increase their performance?
    Sgotta be a ceiling there somewhere..

23. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's a good article and it's hard to disagree. It seems true that RB and Merc are always pushing the boundaries while Ferrari's changes are never anything revolutionary... or at least it doesn't ever seem so since no one ever mentions anything. I think the risk of doing something cool that will give 2 tenths or fail is a lot better than simply making a known change that'll give you a fraction of that.

24. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think everyone's been hoping for the diminishing return scenario... that the big gains just weren't going to continue to be there. It just doesn't seem the case. It seems more like they're managing the gap narrowly on purpose since the threat of the second PU was introduced. Instead of the runaway success of both cars at every track, there's subtle jumps whenever they need that extra little bit. Then again, Nico pretty much made everyone look stupid at Baku.

I'm convince Merc discovered something fundamentally design-wise that has yet to be understood. They are so far ahead and I just believe at this point they have far more in reserve than anyone thinks.. or wants to believe.

25. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Well, they had a principal tire guy. That Japanese fellow whom I can't remember the name of at this moment. They sacked him. wonk, wonk.