Honda throws in the towel - for 2 seasons | FerrariChat

Honda throws in the towel - for 2 seasons

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Jun 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm not sure Alonso would want to hear this.... no driver or manufacturer championships expected by McLaren Honda for over 2 years. No victories or podiums aside from "luck".

“We are still on schedule and we are optimistic of a podium or a victory within the next two years.”

Honda: Only luck will put McLaren on the podium - PlanetF1 : PlanetF1

2. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Homeboy needs to get out of that situation ASAP and into a competitive car. A Red Bull would be nice...

3. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    That would be nice but they like fetuses in their cars.

4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    i like the new guy, way better than arai. set expectations low, deliver above and beyond...it is the more atypical japanese humility i'm used to.

i just worry they may be setting expectations way too low...and i don't think the brit camp of the garage will be able to handle it, let alone alonso.

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO this is Honda curbing expectations after McLaren boasting being the only ones capable of toppling Merc
    The truth is somewhere inbetween. My prediction is they will get some podiums next seasoen

6. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Well said

7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    He´s under promising, just in case...

Honda got it wrong in 2015 and with the tokens system they couldn´t do anything mid-season. Their big mistake was sticking to their original concept for 2016, trusting in that they could make it work. When they realized they couldn´t in pre-season testing, it was too late for doing anything but firing Arai.

A big leap should be expected for 2017. Hopefully podiums and some wins. Although I said the same thing a year ago and now I´m being owned, so anything can be expected from Honda.

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
  11. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    McLaren are to F1 what England is to soccer (football).

12. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Not so. McLaren's record in F1 is an awful lot better than England's in international football (soccer)! ;)

13. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Hahahaha...

14. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Historically yes, but both currently over-promise and under-perform. Fabio Capello and Martin Whitmarsh are laughing together.

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    To be fair to McLaren it does seem as though they will be closer to Mercedes in 2017!

McLaren finished 2nd from last in 2015 and so their garage is at the complete opposite end of the pitlane to Mercedes, some 8 garages away.

So far this season McLaren are 7th and if they finish there this season then they would be 6 garages away from Mercedes in 2017!

:)

16. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    You really think this?

Me's thinking someone or something has to pay for air bag issues...

17. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    ?

18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    McLaren fortune is unfortunately linked to Honda's ability to supply a competitive power unit; something they haven't been able to do after 2 years of effort.

It's hard to understand why a company like Honda with a good track record in motor racing in general, and in developing successful engines has been unable to deliver the goods this time.
    Not only the are still well behind, but they look like miles away from competing at the front.

I would have expected Honda to be just behind of Mercedes in engineering terms, above Ferrari and the half-hearted Renault effort. Instead, Honda has been trailing all the time.

A very poor show that damages McLaren track record.

19. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Not really - They completely failed to "deliver the goods" the last time they were in F1!

20. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Going to take them awhile to get it together but the TEAM needs to stop speaking about upcoming greatness, etc. Work hard and smart, keep mouth closed......

21. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Honda brings Brawn over, he assembles a great team, Honda bails, and Brawn wins F1 championship with a simple car and imaginative rules interpretation. Honda would have won it all in 2009 with some simple faith.....

22. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    The thrill of watching sports is to enjoy competition and to see who emerges victorious.

So here's a team that admits it has absolutely no chance for victory in the near future.

I wonder why I still follow F1. The cars have to be more evenly matched. The driver should determine the outcome on most days, not the car.

23. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    What engine was in the back of the Brawn? - Was it a Honda?

Oh no, that's right, the Honda chassis that did absolutely nothing of note with the Honda engine powering it, suddenly came good when they shoe-horned in the Mercedes engine!

And let's be honest here, the previous Honda engine was mediocre at best and showed no signs of becoming outstanding any time soon.

Brawn GP's success was due to a lot of hard work by Ross Brawn, a clever interpretation of the rules, and a pure fluke that the superior Mercedes engine turned out to be a good match for the heavily modified chassis - Honda deserve no credit for it whatsoever!

24. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    And yet according to one of their drivers, McLaren are going to be the team to topple Mercedes: Alonso: McLaren best-placed to topple Mercedes - Formula 1 - Eurosport Australia

Looks like someone at McLaren has been handing out different song sheets to different team personnel once again!

25. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Possibly that McLaren wants to put Honda under pressure with excessive PR.

As for Honda, a company that was associated with 6 WCCs and 5 WDCs and also obtained 64 motorcycles world championships surely knows a thing or two about designing winning engines ...