Kimi signs for 2017 | FerrariChat

Kimi signs for 2017

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Jul 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    As above.

Wahey :D

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Fine by me...

4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Early friday beers for me today...:D

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I think its good for stability but they had no other options as predicted by the press. Hopefully this will increases his drive and performance but in the end, I think Ferrari need a new younger(not rookie by measure) driver to invigorate the team and actually push Vettel. Kimi is the default #2 even its only implied.

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't know. Vettel is pretty damn motivated and once there's an oppertunity he goes for it. He's a smart guy, he knows how fast the Merc is, and when they pull away too quickly and then hold station, he isn't dumb enough to go chase them for what will always be a losing battle (destroying his own cars mechanics that'll hurt him in coming GP's).

Throwing in (for example) Ricciardo won't make Vettel drive closer to the unbeatables. Perhaps a little, but only will entice more car breakage than we already have...

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    This surely means that the doors are firmly closed at Ferrari for Grosjean, too. Haas has said if he gets an offer for a top team he won't stop Grosjean leaving. Could've gotten him at a smidge, too.

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Same here...

Rgds

9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Meh, I suppose he was the lesser evil. At least I hope he accepted a salary adjustement.

10. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    So no Bottas either :)

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I cannot see Grosjean ever going to Ferrari.
    Grosjean is really nothing special in my book.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Cheers cheers mate :)

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #13 nerofer, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    AND besides, Grosjean is Yesterday’s news: he started in Formula One back in 2009, so I can’t really see the point in Ferrari hiring him?
    As a Kimi fan, I’m happy to see him at Ferrari one more year, but I guess his prolongation was perhaps a choice by default? Probably not many other options open, but I wouldn’t have been disappointed should they have signed Perez for 2017 instead. Perhaps he was not available. I think it is time for Ferrari to think about the future and hire a younger guy; Seb will be 30 next year, so a younger driver would be a good choice.

Rgds

14. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Forza Kimi :D

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1 very much agree.
    +1

Apparently Marchionne really wants Hamilton at Ferrari 2018. Please not. At least I can support Red Bull I guess with Verstappen and Ricciardo...

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Firmly hoping they'll snatch Verstappen away for 2018 instead.

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I wouldn't be surprised that one of the two Mercedes jockeys will be available for 2018; their pairing will not last much more than one season. Of course, it also depends on the pecking order of the teams after the 2017 change of regulations...
    But a change of regulations + Adrian Newey, my guess is that the best seats for the next seasons are now at Red Bull...

Rgds

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep. I have high hopes for next year. Bit fearful for Ferrari (RBR factor), but if at the very least Mercedes gets dethroned I'm good :D.

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes: you cannot blame Mercedes for having done a much better job than the others (and/or have been able to lobby for regulations that suited them just like a glove) but three seasons with Lewis and Nico in front of the rest and only their crumbles for amusement is now enough I guess...

Rgds

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Don't blame them really for having done the better job, but I blame the rule makers for agreeing to all this. The biggest mistake was the engine freeze in februari 2014. Only now are Ferrari catching up with Mercedes engine power (who can still improve), Renault still working on it.

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mind you they should allow for a Friday engine where they can test upgrades at free will (and not limited by tires either!). Cars will be out a lot more, test their upgrades if they work or not in the real world.

At the very least...

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #22 nerofer, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Probably ...

I will miss Kimi when he bows out ...

24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yep, me too...he was a kind of bridge between the old generation and the new.

Rgds

25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Good decision. So who'll come in 2018 then? (Pls no Grosjean)