Charlie Whiting is a pathetic loser and F1 is officially a clown show | FerrariChat

Charlie Whiting is a pathetic loser and F1 is officially a clown show

Discussion in 'F1' started by TifosiUSA, Jul 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    That safety car to start the race was the most pathetic thing ive ever seen in 20 years watching the sport. Whiting is a complete clown. Guy has the easiest job on earth and still cocks it up. We had teams discussing DRYS! LOL! F1 literally doesnt race in the rain anymore, may as well just red flag it like Nascar

Thanks for ruining F1 whiting! Sport is no longer men. Just boys with egos

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not the first time a SC start when it really wasn't necessary. I've a great amount of respect for the man but this is getting ridiculous and farcical. These are supposedly the best drivers in the world, and they can't handle a small puddle? For ****s sake. Another own goal for F1.

I'm angry and disappointed at the state of F1.

3. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    It's all too easy to criticise Charlie Whiting when you're not the one who has to actually take the responsibility for the decisions made!

If he makes the wrong decision, the consequences could be devastating (The memory of Jules Bianchi probably still weighs heavily on his mind), so it's understandable that he errs on the side of caution.

Was he too cautious today? - Probably.

Can he afford to take chances these days with driver safety - Not really.

If you think his job is so easy - Why don't you go and do it?

(I'd be willing to bet you'd make a complete pigs ear of the job!)

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It didn't bother me. He didn't make it rain.

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Bottom line.

Did it effect the outcome of the race?

Did any team gain an advantage from the SC start?

If not, then well, it beats seeing a half dozen guys go off track, perhaps several times, or a rain derived wreck that takes out the leading drivers, eh?

As it is, even well into the race, the water on the track was giving some drivers fits.

D

6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Stupid...and the they wonder why we talk about the good old days!!!

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Nothing wrong with a safety car start, at least it stops a big pile up in such conditions, nobody wants a wet race but people pay a lot of money to go to the event and want to see all the cars competing, not what is left after a 1st corner pileup.

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I just fast forward through safety car and full course yellows. It's not racing.

I used to watch live so l could use live timing. Not worth it anymore. Now l can FF through commercials and the boring stuff.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I wish the laps didn't count but you have to count them because they have no refueling.

10. zhaxcwlv

zhaxcwlv Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Yup, too many motorsports deaths recently. Safety is paramount

11. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I used to record and watch so I could FF through commercials and boring stuff. Now, it's all boring stuff, so I don't watch at all and come here to see the results. If anything interesting happened, then I find it and watch. If not, I move on to Moto GP, where there is actually racing.

12. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    When you take into account the number of races that are decided before the second corner, and how important for performance it is to run in clean air, a safety car start almost guarantees that the pole sitter will win. Had Nico or Max been able to jump Lewis off the grid, it would have been a different outcome. But, they never had the chance.

13. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Having followed F1 for the past 46 years, I agree. Running 10% of the race behind the safety car was a disgrace. Half the field followed the safety car into the pits for inters. If it is too "dangerous" don't bother getting out of bed. These guys are overpaid prima donnas. If it is too wet, pull in and go dry off your panties. If not, go race. I have no interest in ever attending another race (and I have been to many oven many years). It is a sad state the F1 is in today.

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If the drivers can't drive to the conditions then perhaps they should consider another line of work.

15. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Today was a farce. The safety car was out so long it became a danger car. It's a miracle that there wasn't a major incident in the pits as half the field came in behind the safety car to switch tires. Idiots.

16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Is the MB safety car awd? It looked like he had no traction. If my Audi performed like that l would trade it. Maybe they should use an FF. ;)

17. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

I've been watching Formula 1 religiously since 1998. I used to enjoy getting up @ 6:30am every other Sunday to watch the race live (ESPN 2, FOX Sports, Speed, etc).

When they announced that the race would start under the safety car, I turned off the TV @ 6:55am and went back to bed. I've never missed watching a race in 18 years, until today.

F1 is losing me. :(

18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    If it is, why not start every F1 race with the pace car, apologies SC. Hypocrites.

19. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    You didnt miss much.

20. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Hell yes it affected the outcome. Hamilton sucks at starting and could have easily lost the lead and been in dirty air. This just handed the race to him. Gotta make the brits happy right?

As for drivers struggling...uh watching them earn their keep is what makes it interesting. Charlie is too old and has lost the plot, time to get someone with a clue in that position

21. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Id do his job in a heartbeat, skippy. Id happily take your money on that bet

22. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    + something.

Still, must admit an enjoyable race.

23. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    I'm now watching on the Spanish channel cause the NBCSN or CNBC just don't get it , they went off several times to bleeding adverts when there was real action to be shown, and the ads are just repeats over an over. I will never buy a jag anyway ....
    There was a huge amount of standing water at the start so SC was a good choice but should have come in earlier. Anyway young mr V did an outstanding job - Nico just can't cope in the wet ... Hamilton showed he can do it wet or dry ....

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I thought it was funny. It added to the show. A few more laps behind the SC and Hammy would have taken himself out.

25. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    This whole thing about safety car starts,virtual sc,pit radio etc etc ...has been put in the spotlight following the tragic death of Jules Bianchi.

His family is reported to be suing Fom,Fia,Marussia,maybe even Charlie himself etc .This is the main reason why Charlie now holds a poisoned chalice.

Too cautious the fans get upset.

Not cautious enough see above.