Imola 2017 | FerrariChat

Imola 2017

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Jul 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  2. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    I like the Imola Circuit so hope Italy's sporting authority approves.

Ferrari and Williams have each won eight times and Mclaren six times in the past.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nice. Options and change are good! Thank you for posting!

4. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Wonderful. I have been to Monza before and would love to make a family trip to Imola.

5. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I'd be ok if they alternate the GP with Monza but to completely lose Monza would be very sad :(

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Though Imola has had a revision a few years ago, now there's a huge straight, the final left/right is gone (I really liked that one, but for overtaking and sheer speed the new straight is bloody awesome).

7. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Some really great news!

8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Boooooh.

I prefer Monza. Also I don´t like the latest revision of Imola.

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Wait until you see the proposed version of Monza!

They intend to make a chicane out of the Curva Grande.

I used to love Monza before all these chicanes.

10. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Agreed, everyone loves Monza, but this is what Bernie said in March 2016:-

FORMULA 1 has agreed a deal to race in Las Vegas, according to Bernie Ecclestone.
    Although the F1 supremo says he cannot foresee this year’s 21-race calendar expanding, Ecclestone has warned that the Italian GP could be dropped — with Vegas apparently positioned to replace iconic Monza on the calendar.

"Monza has got a contract for this year so it is going to go ahead. Next year is the question mark. I don’t think we have to have an Italian Grand Prix. Somebody once told me a funny thing that you couldn’t have Formula 1 without a race in France but we do,” Ecclestone told The Daily Mail, before adding that organisers of a proposed Grand Prix in Las Vegas “have a contract. Vegas would be super.”

11. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    It would be nice to have the Italian GP alternate between Monza and Imola or even better replace one of the crap venues like Bahrain, but F1 lost its soul years ago, it is solely about the money.

12. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I still can't understand why they want to destroy the best curve of the circuit! Curva grande must be untouchable!

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Just for motorcycles though, as I understand it. Curva grande will stay as is.

14. F1Nova

F1Nova Karting

Nov 29, 2012
    Aitutaki
    I love Imola, but I do prefer the GP be held at Monza.
    To me its the best race of the year.

15. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    #15 NEP, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I've been to both for F-1 and Monza is better. Imola is a nice track, and is basically in the middle of the town, so congestion does not even begin to describe the place...

Monza just has all the history. if they alternate I guess that is ok, but either do it as a European GP or San Marino gp... Aque Minerale is an awesome turn... just wonder with all the large run off... where will people sit - watch... it was tight before. cant imagine it now.

17. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not super familiar with the track, but as one of the old-school tracks it's got to be better than the sanitized tracks we have now. When I watch the cars blast through the chapel complex at Silverstone, the hair goes up on my neck. Even my daughter and her boyfriend thought it was cool. To get that kid to look from his cellphone says it all.

I used to look at the map of Monza and think what a simplistic track it was, but the race defies the what would appear to be a boring track. I initially used to think the same thing about Imola but there have been some spectacular racing there.

18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I actually like the proposed changes to Monza. I would be THRILLED for Imola to come back but not at the expense of Monza.

19. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Each to his own.

I like long straights and high speed curves.

I don 't like the "point and squirt" type of racing imposed by chicanes.

20. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Aren't they getting rid of the 1st chicane in the revamp?

21. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    If they take Monza out, it's going to be a very very sad day.

22. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
  23. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Monza set to keep Italian GP despite Imola getting F1 race contract - F1 - Autosport

Bernie Ecclestone has agreed terms for Imola to host a Formula 1 race, but the Italian Grand Prix is still likely to remain at Monza.

Ecclestone previously cited the political impasse surrounding a new contract for Monza as a major stumbling block in the long-running saga of Italy's place on the F1 calendar, and has confirmed to Autosport an agreement is now in place with Imola.

But Angelo Sticchi Damiani, president of Italian motorsport's governing body the Automobile Club d'Italia, claims the issues hanging over Monza have been removed and hopes a conclusion can swiftly be reached with Formula One Management.

The Imola contract will be irrelevant if the ACI completes the Monza deal.

"We have finally solved all the problems there were with the territorial entities - the region [of Lombardy], the cities of Milan and Monza, and the Park Authority," Sticchi Damiani told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"We have found an agreement between ACI Milan and SIAS [which owns Monza through the ACI], and we are preparing a binding offer to be sent to FOM.

"At this point there are no more political problems."

The vice-president of the Lombardy region, Fabrizio Sala, claims his department is providing €5million per year to help "close the contract".

Sala added: "We are pleased the president of the ACI has clarified there is no political problem, and a binding offer is to be sent to FOM.

"We hope we quickly arrive at a conclusion. The Italian GP is Monza, is part of our tradition, and we cannot allow it to go away."

Ecclestone claims he has done all he can, and despite having a deal in place with Imola, which last hosted the San Marino GP in 2006, the fact Sticchi Damiani is such a staunch supporter of Monza makes a change of venue less likely.

"We've now an agreement [with Imola] there that's ready to go," Ecclestone told Autosport.

"But we've a guy there that's saying 'Either we do things my way, or not at all', so when people say that you know what the answer is going to be.

"He must do what he thinks is the right thing to do, and if we don't have a race in Italy it won't be because of me.

"He has a contract, and all that is required is a signature. As I've said before, he has to get a pen and sign.

"They're good deals for them. They can please themselves."

Ecclestone confirmed that even if a race at Imola took the San Marino GP tag again rather than being the Italian GP, it would still have to be signed off by Sticchi Damiani.

"They [Imola] have signed their contract, but I cannot sign off on my side because the ACI is unwilling to sign on its part," added Ecclestone.

"And wherever we race, be it Imola or Monza, it needs to be sanctioned by him anyway, whatever you call it."

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ivan Capelli says monza has found some money and will have negotiations with Ecclestone next week.

Hopefully an alternate GP between Monza and Imola.

25. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Imola is very keen to host the future Grand Prixs.

"Imola has filed legal action as it steps up its bid to host the Italian grand prix from 2017.

Recent reports claimed Bernie Ecclestone had inked a deal with the former San Marino GP venue, but the contract could not be signed off because it lacked the endorsement and backing of the Italian automobile club Aci.

To date, the Aci argues that it is empowered to exclusively support historic Monza's quest for a new contract.

But the Gazzetta di Parma newspaper on Wednesday published a statement by Imola race organisers that confirmed the legal action, saying it is committed to hosting the next five Italian grands prix.

Imola said that in May it signed "a valid contract received by the London office of the boss of formula one, Bernard Charles Ecclestone.

"Moreover, the same proposal ... to the Autodromo di Monza was not accepted," the statement reportedly added.

Imola's appeal to the Lazio tribunal has been filed against the Aci's refusal to cooperate in terms of backing and the release of funds.

When asked about Monza's efforts to keep the grand prix, Italian Olympic chief Giovanni Malago said on Wednesday: "I understand that soon there will be an offer.

"In any case, the Aci, which is heading the negotiations, absolutely wants Monza. I do not know if there are other feasible proposals," he is quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I hope that in the days to come there is positive and conclusive news," Malago added."