Merc doesn't even acknowledge Ferrari Anymore | FerrariChat

Merc doesn't even acknowledge Ferrari Anymore

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Jul 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It used to be the week of the race and practice that Merc would put out the requisite "we're wary of Ferrari and their pace" blah blah blah... and I always imagined them having to do two or three takes because they'd bust out laughing and couldn't even say such thing with a straight face.

Now that Ferrari has faded, they're no longer mentioned and it's now Red Bull.

2. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Maybe Toto realized that he looks like an idiot when he says Ferrari is a threat then Merc is 1 sec a lap quicker every race.

3. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Maybe they're secretly watching our threads...

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Lol!
    Pete

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Now they're very wary of Red Bull this race. With actual good reason, though.

I honestly believe Verstappen will win this race.

:cool:

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

7. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I'd love to see that happen. Or Ricci.

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Either one and I'm a happy boy. :)

9. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    An RB winning at Hungaria and a Ferrari at Hockenheim would make a nice twist to the season.

10. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I think most all of us would rather see anyone other than a Mercedes win a race or two.

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ferrari has been out of this season since the third race.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1

And the thing that Ferrari SHOULD learn but likely won't is RedBull are now a threat even though they probably don't have the best power plant. But no Ferrari will be back in the dyno room beating their engine with a blunt stick ...

Honestly has somebody invented a time machine and turned the Ferrari team back to the late 80's/early 90's? ... same old ***** again. Soon they will be running with very low wing angles to ensure their car is the fastest in a straight line AGAIN and of course loosing huge amounts of time in the corners.

Seriously should Ferrari purchase the Manor team?, like they effectively purchased the Benetton team in the mid 90's to get us back on the right track again ... or is there a better team to purchase as the current Ferrari team/people is quite honestly ******?
    Pete

13. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    why are you guys "publicaly humiliating" Ferrari?! you guys are not "real tifosi!"

lololololol. 4rePhill must be dying inside right about now.

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #14 DeSoto, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Well, quite often when your chassis is crap but have a good engine that´s the better option. Note as the Manors and Force Indias usually are quite high at the top speed charts.

Even me at racing sims did it, and it worked.

That would be like re-purchasing the Ferrari of two years ago, as Fry and Tombazis are there now.

BTW, I don´t know where they get the money from to pay for those guys and the Mercedes engines.

15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    The drivers pay Manor.

Haryanto who is from my country of Indonesia, swindled the govt of roughly 75M to get his F1 seat...my country, I must say, is a place where the divide between rich and poor is wider than all the oceans that separate the continents combined, where there is not even a light rail or reliable form of public transport to a population of 250M and where slavery is pretty much status quo.

I have 3 maids at home...each of them gets paid a whopping $250 USD a month, and I've been told by many of my friends, I'm paying them way too much. One of them, Kiko, has been with our family since I was in diapers...I believe she was only 14 when she first joined our family.

Mind-bending context right? And the best he can do is crash the car every other race and fail at basic mathematics on Sky (what's 3x3x3x3)*smh*

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Apparently Haryanto has not raised enough money to end the season.

Werlein is a Mercedes driver, so probably they get a discount in the engines for letting him drive.

17. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    He is not entirely useless, though, isn't he? Some regard Wehrlein highly and Haryanto does not look like a fool next to him.

I read somewhere that Manor will not extend their relationship with McLaren and are to strengthen ties further with MAMG.

They were no one. They lost their factory and raced a 2014 that was based on an exception a 2013 car that was due to an exception a 2012 car blabla...
    Someone with a big plan rescued them and my understanding was a long while ago that it was MAMG in an effort to breed their own STR/Haas

18. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I though Wehrlein was only highly regarded by toto lol.

I personally have never rated him highly. Put things in context, I rated the late Bianchi very highly and I believe the rest of the paddock did so as well. Wehrlein doesn't come close imho.

And oh, Haryanto is going to reneg on his funding? Lets just say that won't be the first time that's happened in my country lol.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    OMG!, do you work for Ferrari Spa?

It is NOT the top speed that matters, it is the lap time ... this is circuit racing mate!
    Pete

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Seems they focused entirely too hard to the engine.

Though the complication of Allison's wife and him being around less has surely hurt the team a lot. Can't blame him for it, of course.

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    If I was an F1 team manager and my cars were topping the top speed traps and NOT setting the fastest lap times, I would get them to add more wing. Simple as that.

Pete

22. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #22 DeSoto, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    No, I don´t work at Ferrari S.p.a., so easy there.

Sometimes adding more wing doesn´t help, as the drag/downforce relation is not linear so you end up loosing speed in the straights that can´t recover in the corners. Also when you can´t qualify at the top you need more top speed to attack/defend.

This is acknowledged by teams, and the top speed charts are there to check them. But I suppose you could do a better set up watching TV than the guys who actually drive the car. I remember that you spend a whole season saying after every qualifying session that McLaren were idiotic for qualifying with full tanks and low wings, but their test driver kept saying on TV that their car was crap in qualifying, no matter that the tanks were full or empty so they didn´t have another option than doing that.

"Monday engineers..."

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Vettel in Abu Dhabi (2012? whenever he was demoted to last from pole, anyhow), took the start from the pitlane because he changed aero setup for higher top end to attack more.

Aerodynamics is a *****, adding a few more clicks as you say doesn't always work because of the drag factor. A different design wing is needed for that...

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #24 PSk, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    :), all valid points (especially your first point about attacking/defending in race), but I hope reading between the lines you got my point. Ferrari need to leave their engine alone and get working on their aero/chassis.

Lets put it another way; the other teams that are using Mercedes PU's are way behind Mercedes. I think we do not give enough credit to their chassis which must be pretty damn good. Also Renault have not suddenly found Mercedes like power and PU rechargeability and yet RB are now pushing Mercedes. Sure Renault have improved but are still surely behind ... look at their own car: rubbish. So the aero/chassis updates to the RB are making that car faster.

So Ferrari can spend the rest of this year and next year playing with their engine, or they can actually focus on being competitive and get clever with aero/chassis like Mercedes and RB. Surely the Ferrari engine is the equal of the Renault!, therefore good enough if they had competitive aero and chassis.
    Pete

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That is because he knew he had to compromise lap speed for passing ability. Without the penalty he would obviously not done that.

I still say that YOUR fastest lap time does not usually correspond with YOUR fastest top speed lap. A lap time is all in the corners.
    Pete