FIA tightens radio ban. Vettel's reaction..:) | FerrariChat

FIA tightens radio ban. Vettel's reaction..:)

Discussion in 'F1' started by racerx3317, Jul 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vettel-blasts-f1-radio-rules-as-complete-bull****-800768/

"Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel didn't mince words in his criticism of Formula 1's updated radio regulations, saying the restrictions were "complete bull****".

In the wake of controversy during the British Grand Prix, when a breach of the existing regulations by Mercedes led to a penalty for Nico Rosberg, the FIA introduced a revised set of rules for Hungary.

From now on, any driver informed about a critical problem on his car will be forced to come into the pits in order for the situation to be sorted.

While the changes to the rule have come as a response to teams wishing for a clearer set of guidelines, the ongoing controversy in this area had left Vettel far from happy.

"[It's] complete bull****. I think all the radio issues we had are a joke," Vettel said ahead of the Hungarian Grand Prix

"I looked at the race after and I found, as a spectator, it was quite entertaining to hear the driver a little bit panicking on the radio and the team panicking at the same time.

"I think it was an element of human being in our sport, which arguably is very complicated and technical.

"I think it's the wrong way. There's a lot of boring stuff on the radio that got banned - so I don't see the point."

Less technology

Vettel insisted that a radio ban was the wrong way to go about making the sport less technical and complicated.

"If you want to change it, you should change the cars," he said. "I've no problem - let's go back to V12, manual gearbox, two buttons, one for pit speed limiter and one for radio, just to confirm that we're coming in. And other than that, not much electronics to look after - which, there's no point then to memorise all the things.

"I think all the buttons we have on the steering wheel today are there for a reason - it's not like 'ah, yeah, we can build buttons, let's put them on the steering wheel'.

"If you look at the 1995 steering wheel, for example, or speak to a lot of the experts that are still around in the paddock, what they've raced with, it was a lot simpler cause the cars' technology was simpler.

"It's nor our - as in the drivers' - mistake that the cars are so complicated these days that they need a manual and a steering wheel full of buttons to operate it.

"I think we are going a little bit in the wrong way - so I think it's bad and we should just go back to being able to say what we want."

Lewis Hamilton echoed the feeling that it was strange for the FIA to have introduced rules allowing numerous switches - and then outlawing drivers being told how to change them.

"As far as I aware it was about driving aiding and switch changes from the guys who know all the systems, which the FIA have brought into action," he said. "So giving us these actions and dashboards and now not allowing us to be told to change those is a little bit odd.

"But at the end of the day I have to do my job the same way."

Completely agree.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Vettel ****ing gets it.

Let the nerds go completely psycho with all the techno **** they want in other series.

3. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Everybody gets it. Expect Bernie and his puppets.

4. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Whoa, another driver wanting to go back to big displacement engines and cars where you can push

THEY ALL FEEL THIS WAY

5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yap..but the we have these all might bright heads who believe they're all wrong...i say burn them all!!!

6. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    but a v12 isn't road relevant! Lol.

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Neither is an F1 car, last I checked :D

8. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    How many drivers and fans have to complain before changes are made? Seems that every now rule that that the FIA makes is wrong.

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

F1 is mostly an engineers' championship these days.

The best technical team wins.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Vettel is 100% right

"If you want to change it, you should change the cars," he said. "I've no problem - let's go back to V12, manual gearbox, two buttons, one for pit speed limiter and one for radio, just to confirm that we're coming in. And other than that, not much electronics to look after - which, there's no point then to memorise all the things."

The drivers are becoming robots controlled by the pits , engineers, and the electronics pre-programmed into the cars.

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    And that's exactly why we're complaining.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That's mostly what I find a turn-off these days.

The technology is just too much for me, the cars not spectacular to watch, etc...

I follow F1 more as an habit than anything else.

To be honest, I get more kicks watching the Blancpain GT Series, or the British Touring Car Championship, and I don't miss any race (on TV, of course).

F1? I check the results mostly.

13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don´t like NASCAR. F1 must be the pinnacle of technology and if the pinnacle of technology needs lots of buttons and more than one person to control it, then it´s OK for me. An astronaut needs to push more buttons than the Wright brothers and we all know which machine is faster and more impressive and spectacular.

If there were a good fight between several teams nobody would be complaining about radio messages. But as these last championships have beeen boring as hell it seems that there is a need to constantly find something to moan about.

14. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    A driver pushing buttons is the pinnacle of technology? I always thought it was ultimate speed and control. In the end driving a race car should be difficult not easy. Less aero, a manual trans and no fuel restrictions is the way to go. You want hybrids go watch LeMans.

15. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I agree with Vet. He's absolutely right. Junk all the worthless and hidden techno crap that the public and drivers don't care about.

16. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    This is another myth that started in the last 5 years. No, it has always been the pinnacle of fastest lap times, not technology.

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think the technology is/was great, but it's gotten so far now that it's ruining the racing. Formula 1 is motorsport first, technology second. Well...supposed to be.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That brings the following question: Is technology so exiting in F1?

I am sure there are many opinions on that.

For my part, the less technology there is, the better.

Let's leaves the driver more in control and allow the talent to shine.

An afternoon watching sprint cars is now more entertaining to me than a GP; it never used to be like that.

19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Technology is exciting in F1 for me, definitely. I like historic racing and vintage cars, but that´s not F1. One could argue that F1 cars could be simplified, i.e: fixed mappings for engine, KERS, etc... Going back to steel tubes and carburetors? Definitely NOT!!

Yet, at this moment drivers who can´t manague all the buttons while driving still can pit and fix the car there, accepting the time penalty. Those who have read the manual and have the skills to manague the buttons without crashing will shine as you want: nowadays that´s part of a driver´s job too.

I still remember when everybody was amazed about how Schumacher could do a hot lap in qualifying while changing in the steering wheel the brake bias and mappings for each corner.

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Tifosi, you put words in Vettel's mouth. He never said anything about not being able to push now or being able to push with different engines :)

Come on, keep to the facts. In regards to being able to push or not, nothing has changed. Racing is always a balancing act of looking after your race car and it's components.
    Pete

21. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Easy, tiger. I was referencing an article about Alonso I posted yesterday.

Fernando Alonso 'not at all happy' with current Formula 1 - F1 - Autosport

And if you actually believe this, you haven't been following the sport much. From said article, straight from Alonso's mouth:

"I'm not at all happy for some things that are happening: we can never drive the cars to their real limit; we can never attack as much as we would like because the tyres don't allow you to. If you push too hard they overheat, and lose grip immediately. If you use the engine too much, you step over consumption parameters."

So actually, yeah, the engine does have a lot to do with how much you can push, as do the tires. With fuel limits and these tires driver's don't push much anymore.

There, now you know. :D

22. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Pish....Toyota has been using F1 tech in their Prius since 1997!

23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Bingo!

So now we have F1 cars that are 'almost' as easy to drive as a Prius.(for an F1 driver...).

At the end of a 'race' the driver steps out looking like he just went for a spirited Sunday country drive to the local pub for a couple of pints,and yes IF they have the right car they even get to drink some champers!

24. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    F1 is now more of a technical excercise than an actual racing series. The driver should be in full control of all of the cars' parameters including the transmission. The flappy paddles was the beginning of the end. Kers doesn't add anything to the show. DRS does so I'd keep that. More mechanical grip less aero and voila. F1 is fixed.

25. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Will Buxton just tweeted something interesting. So if you have to come into the pits to fix problem, does that effectively make the pit lane exempt from the radio ban? So if you have a problem now just drive through the pits and get the fix?