Vettle & Ferrari - the marriage sours? | FerrariChat

Vettle & Ferrari - the marriage sours?

Discussion in 'F1' started by spirot, Jul 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So I saw the first rumors of Vettle and Ferrari breaking down... apparently Christian Horner talking to the press saying that Sebastian needs a positive team environment - and that Marchionne is making the team crazy, with all the pressure and un certainty....

I'm not sure that this is a credible source, but I was thinking along these same lines the last time I've seen Vettle's body language around the press... its seems depressed... could be me & I hope not, but I would not be surprised if next year is his last.... and if so ... Then what & WHO?

Grazie Sig. Marchionne!

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    How positive was Hornet when RB started coming off the rails?

Sounds like he's trying to stir the pot.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Wasn't it Mateschitz who was stirring like crazy? Horner wasn't entire positive, either. But he was trying to keep a level debate.

FWIW I'm hearing that Ferrari/Vettel are starting talks regarding contract extension till 2020.

Mercedes is full till beyond 2018.
    Red Bull same story
    Mclaren wouldn't be a bad place to be, I certainly wouldn't bet against them...But Honda is the big question mark.

Williams et all are not and will not be front runners.

Ferrari is the only place he can be.

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A sabatical perhaps ?

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Psychological warfare; mind games; undermining your ennemy; etc...
    As said by Bas, all good seats are taken at least 'til the end of 2018, so...

THAT said, anyone here knows that the environment at Ferrai is "complicated" indeed. Even Kimi knows it; remember, he was asked to leave at the end of 2009. And ask Fernando...

Rgds

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Vettel is smart, he'll push to have a good team in place before he makes any rash decisions. Sabbatical is the last option IMO. He has unfinished business at Ferrari. I truly believe he wants to win another title, specifically WITH Ferrari. He was watching Schumacher as a kid going round at Fiorano, he's never made a secret of his love for the team.

7. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Seb isn't going anywhere

8. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think if testing were allowed Ferrari would be up there but since it isn't MB is the only place to be.

9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I would relish the opportunity to watch Seb race side-by-side against Alonso.

Seb will be destroyed just like how he was destroyed by Ric when he joined rb...but I know Seb / his management would never let that happen again.

10. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    This.

11. F1Nova

F1Nova Karting

Nov 29, 2012
    Aitutaki
    How can anyone build race cars and not test them?
    Great idea, whoever came up w/that one.
    We have Fiorano...we should be able to test our brains out.
    Thats what Brawn. Todt n Shumi did n u see what they
    accomplished.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Not sure about that. The Spaniard is passed his best now.
    I am not even sure hi is that motivated anymore ...

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    But it's the same for everyone....

14. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Against Vettel in a car that can win? I wouldn't best against him. He's not that old.

15. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    This is coming from Horner not Ferrari or Vettel. I'd rubbish the whole thing. He's not going anywhere.

16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Vettel will be tuned into what FA went through. I think he is positive.....for now. If nothing really improves over next year I can see him making a move to something he feels is better. I dont see him waiting as long as FA.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    He isn't old, but he has been in this business for more than 10 years.

Alonso is just demotivated and living of past reputation.

Years of driving an inferior car and slowly slipping down the order take their toll on any driver.
    Alonso has just been pocketing the money to drive mid-field car for the last .... few years.

Do you think the motivation would re-ignite? I don't think so.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1

You have to be a special person, or insane, to deal with Ferrari politics, and Vettel is not the greatest driver on the grid so needs a good car under him. He's never going to motivate a team by puting a brick on pole or winning an unexpected race. Even at RB it took him half a season to adapt to a change or new car, while Webber just got in and got on with it.
    Pete

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Not the greatest (who is?), but among the 5 best at the moment, I would say.

As for adapting, some do it faster than other. Just look at Kimi losing almost a year dealing with "steering issues", and then another half season because of "lack of braking feeling".

It's true that Vettel didn't adapt immediately to hybrid power like Ricciardo did, but he has caught on now. What he needs is a good car and a good organisation around him.

Ferrari should be capable of delivering that, no?

20. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    If the opportunity was there to be WDC or prove that you are and always have been better than Vettel, absolutely, yes I do.

21. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    And Christian Horner knows what's going on inside Ferrari because?.................:confused:

Face facts here, Horner hasn't got a clue what's happening between Ferrari and Vettel!

Right now, Red Bull are trying to out do Ferrari on track, and suddenly, Horner decides that this is the time to start making statements about Vettel's relationship with Ferrari being weakened and in trouble, throwing in a statement that the management are starting to drive him crazy?

How long have you guys been following F1? - 2 minutes?

It's blatant mind games to try to cause disharmony at Ferrari and weaken their position!

Don't be such a bunch of suckers! :rolleyes:

22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The source isn't credible but the narrative makes sense. Sweater boy is meddling where he doesn't belong. He'll be the death of Ferrari as we know it.....

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I emphatically disagree, I think that Alonso is still a top tier driver one of the best.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    What season was that then? 2009?

It was Vettel who adapted to the EBD and got it to work, whilst Webber often struggled with it. ;)

25. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    There is an interview with Vettel in Bernie´s webpage. When asked about Horner´s comments Vettel politely told Horner to STFU and don´t talk about things he doesn´t have a clue just to stir the pot. I don´t know what´s going on at Ferrari but Horner definitely doesn´t either.

In any case, I´ve never been Vettel´s biggest fan, so if he leaves there are other options around there.