Chris Amon has died | FerrariChat

Chris Amon has died

Discussion in 'F1' started by EnzoNZ, Aug 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    He passed away in hospital this morning(Wednesday)

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Such a sad news, he was still young. One of my all time heroes. The world will be poorer without him.

Rgds

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    One by one the living legends are disappearing.

4. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    One of the greatest. RIP.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    RIP

Luckily I met the great man a couple of times, and even seen him drive the 250F Maserati :)

Damn sad, all three have passed now but it was only a matter of time :(. Wish he had gone to the celebration of the Ford Le Mans win, but it is possible that he was already too ill.
    Pete

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sad news. RIP Chris.

Very cool.

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Very sad news.
    May he rest in peace.

Thank you for the information.

Marcel Massini

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Lucky you...as said above, to me, he was one of the very, very best; Enzo considered him as a son, and was not angry at his departure from the team.
    Chris didn't come to Italy for the celebrations of Ferrari 60th anniversary, saying that "Luca's invitation came too late; if he wants me to be there for the 70th, he better sent his invitation earlier". Sadly he won't be able to attend.

Rgds

9. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Always sad when an F1 Driver passes on.

Condolences to his Family and Friends.

Raced with Scuderia Ferrari in 1967, 1968 and 1969.

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    RIP Chris.

11. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    A proper legend.

RIP.

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Very sad to hear. Mauro Forghieri said of him: "...by far the best test driver I have ever worked with. He had all the qualities to be a World Champion but bad luck just wouldn't let him be".

RIP, Chris.

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    RIP Sir....

I had the chance to interview him twice for Cavallino 20 years ago, lengthy phone interviews for which he was very patient and kind, he had excellent memory and had lived through an incredibly poorly documented yet fascinating segment of Ferrari history, I loved his Can Am, Tasman and endurance tales.
    Due to the time difference between New Zealand and Florida where I was at the time I had to wake up at 3am to interview him so it would not interfere with his farming day. This was between 1995 and 1998 and I remember John Barnes refunding me for a $151 phone call, one of the best interviews I had the privilege to carry out.

I am only about 100 miles East North East of Charade where he dominated the 1972 French GP until a puncture robbed him and can see those mountains from here so will raise my glass to him during lunch.

The best saying about his appalling bad luck is well known, stated by none other than Mario Andretti: "If Chris became an undertaker people would stop dying!"

Autosport has a very good obit:

Chris Amon obituary: 1943-2016 - F1 - Autosport

MS

14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Excellent post Marc, that French GP was also the race where Helmut Marko lost his eye. Chris had so many heart breaking near wins, among them his drive at Spa in 1970.

15. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Sad news and one of my favorite drivers! Wasn't he offered a prime seat in the mid to late 70's, but by that time had decided to wind down his career?

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    ...where he chased the BRM of Pedro Rodriguez very hard, to no avail; that BRM had never run well until that day. Chris Amon once said with his characteristic humor, to an interviewer of "Motorsport Magazine": "Aubrey Woods, the chief engineer for BRM engines, told me that they had build a 3,5 litre version of their 3,0 V12, but he wouldn't say more about it; I wonder if I haven't seen that engine in action..."

Speaking of "Motorsport Magazine", their homage is nice too:

Remembering Chris Amon | Motor Sport Magazine

Rgds

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    He was offered the chance to come-back at Ferrari, this mid-1973; he had left at the end of 1969, but stayed in very good terms with Enzo Ferrari all his life. He refused the offer, but the reason is not absolutely clear; he said that there was a problem with his sponsor, but some think that the deal was actually agreed between him and Enzo Ferrari, but that said sponsor (Martini?) eventually blocked it.

Then he was offered the second seat at Brabham during 1974 when Von Opel left, but out of respect for his own team, he refused it also; that seat went to Carlos Pace ultimately.

He was offered the second seat at McLaren for 1977, and he had also the possibility to drive the Wolf WR1 for that year (Scheckter went to win three Grand Prix with that car in 1977) he declined both, having decided that he had enough.

Rgds

18. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    best driver that never won a WDC-Moss
    Best driver that never won a gp-Amon

19. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    what he said

20. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Sad news, RIP.

21. demicami

demicami Karting

Jun 7, 2016
    Racing legend ! RIP

22. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Interesting! Thank you for the update on his racing life!

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Possibly his last interview: audio a few weeks ago over Le Mans 66 images. You can hear he was already not well and would have wanted to be at Le Mans this year for the celebrations but he just could not travel anymore, specially to the other side of the world...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3imY-xYjJI4

24. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    At 52 years old I feel lucky to have been alive during this era of 'skinny' tires, few electronic controls and the evolution of down force where by the skill of the driver could make up and sometimes exceed the 'quality' of the car for a given day, including the whole DFV era, beating a rival with a 'better' car package based on skill…

Brilliance behind the wheel, some of us have been fortunate to witness it. Of course I was a wee lad in the late 60's but I believe the spirit of what I am offering is still valid. We have seen some incredible drivers at their best.

RIP Chris.

25. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'll agree with that!

Actually, he did win the Australian Grand Prix, but that was when it was part of the Tasman series and not part of the World Championship.

Three races where he was cruelly robbed by mechanical failure: Spain 1968, Canada 1968 & Spain 1969. All three times he had huge leads only for the car to let him down. (And in 1969, it never ran that well again.)