Who should drive for Renault in 2017 ? | FerrariChat

Who should drive for Renault in 2017 ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Aug 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Renault set for September decision on drivers

Renault set for September decision on drivers

Apparently the candidates are Kevin Magnussen, Jolyon, Sergio Perez, Esteban Ocon, Stoffel Vandoorne and Valtteri Bottas.
    Magnussen has been disappointing, and Jolyon out of his depth , IMO.

Renault needs an experienced driver to lead the team and help develop the next car quickly.
    Perez or Bottas would fit the bill. They have several years under their belt, and a bunch of podiums to show for it too.

Vandoorne and Ocon may have the speed, but not necessarily the technical know-how to dial out a new chassis. Both proved fast when stepping in cars already sorted.

But Jenson Button (who isn't mentioned) may be looking for a drive too next year, and could be an interesting proposition.
    Way, way back, Button was on Renault's payroll if one remembers.
    Would Jenson accept to drive for Renault or prefer to retire?

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Kmag and Ocon, unless they somehow can get Vandoorne for a season as well (I'd keep Kmag on).

3. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    William I know this is not the main focus of your thread but since you did mention it, would you mind giving your opinion as to how confident you are Button may be gone from McLaren?

I ask because I really hope they improve significantly over the off season and because I would consider an Alonso/ Button fight in a competitive car to be great for the sport. I also hope for this because I am quickly losing faith that Ferrari is going to be competitive with Merc next year. Again sorry for the side track but I would enjoy hearing your opinion.

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Button was re-signed for a one year contract at the end of 2015, when Ron Dennis was already thinking about replacing him. I think Jenson wanted a 2-year contract, but didn't get that. So, it's my impression that Dennis would like to replace him for next year.

Also, McLaren has Vandoorne under contract, and may lose him if they don't promote him to F1 from his tester job. In that respect, McLaren is in the same position with Vandoorne that RB was with Verstappen; sign him or lose him.

That's only my opinion, of course. With the Honda debacle these last 2 years, it has been impossible to assess how good Alonso and Button still are, compared to some younger drivers, so there is a question mark over their present form too.

5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I think uncle Ron will keep Jenson and Fernando for next year ..the car is showing some promise so the last thing they want is to start experimenting with relatively unproven jockeys..good as they may appear to be.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That would leave Renault without an experienced driver again.

Magnussen doesn't look like a top draw driver to me.

Ocon won 2 F3 championships , but didn't do well in DTM.

As an aside, Esteban Ocon should have changed his name long time ago.

Those who understand French will smile at the unfortunate connotation ...

For the others, ask Neurofer ...

7. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I would sign Perez and Ocon if possible

8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #8 Ferrari 308 GTB, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    I would bring in Perez with his bags of gold, maybe give Jolyon another year as he is 'improving'.Not much point in replacing a rookie with another one.

They said they don't want an experienced driver with just a few years left...so that leaves Bottas as a possible instead of Perez as No 1..or go the whole hog and bring them both in .

9. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I don't know if I see Button at his age going into rebuilding a team which may take years. If he can't get an A seat I don't think he is a guy that goes b c and d just to stick around.

So Bottles and Perez might be options for drivers with a host of experience.

Btw, why is it that they so freely discuss drivers that are supposedly bound to a team. Isn't Ocon to Manor a Mercedes deal? How deeply rooted are the connections between Mercedes and Renault? I thought to remember that MAMG helped them on the technical side?

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Ocon was already reserve driver for Renault, with Mercedes' blessing.
    So, it's not impossible to conceive that Mercedes agrees to farm him out at Renault for him to develop.

On another note, I think there are certain conventions between Mercedes and Renault which are already manufacturing partners. When Red Bull approached Mercedes for engines, last season, it was told that Renault could block the deal.

11. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Button, although still good, will be gone from McLaren next year. They fear an aging driver line up and don't want to lose vandoorne. Button to Williams and massa out of f1.

Ocon to Renault if he does okay against wherlein (which shouldn't be hard as I suspect the latter is overrated). Magnussen may well stay but booting him out for Perez and some experience is a good idea. Who for the other force India seat Though?

12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Perez and Kmag.