1982 F1 Tragedy and mayhem remembered. | FerrariChat

1982 F1 Tragedy and mayhem remembered.

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Aug 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  2. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Interesting read. Tragic but epic season, lots of what if´s especially around Villeneuve and Pironi.

3. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Great read
    Thanks

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I remember that season like it was yesterday. Especially remember seeing Villeneuve's Ferrari at Long Beach with the extended wings.. it just looked so kooky!

in those days in the USA you only followed F-1 via Autoweek & Road & Track. R&T's articles were several months behind the event. on TV they showed Long Beach, Monaco and Watkins Glen or in this case - Las Vegas & Detroit. Some time you would see highlights of a particularly thrilling race - like France in 79...

So I was amazed when our local news station from Youngstown OH showed a "horrific race car crash today from Europe" then went on to show Villeneuve's accident. I literally stopped and froze... it was the worst thing I'd ever seen, literally made me cry. if you did not know F-1 you would not have seen that it was his actual body being flung against the catch fencing.. just awful.

Years later the guy who owned the Good Year store in our town had a huge wall poster of Villenueve in the pits at Long Beach. He gave it to me - and it literally covered one entire wall in my bedroom!

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I too remember it like it was yesterday. I cried and cried. It felt like a loss of a lived one.

6. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    That season was a mess in so many ways, and the beginning of my dislike of Balestre and his "flexible yardstick" rulings. Loss of Gilles, Ferrari losing the championship due to the loss of both Gilles and Pironi in PRACTICE incidents, the political mess and organization battles, etc. if we think FIA/FOM is meddlesome now, we would have had a collective aneurism back in '82. I could not stand Balestre, which is probably part of the reason Senna reigns supreme for me...he didn't take the b.s. from that megalomaniac.

'82 was exciting for all the wrong reasons, imo.

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You are not wrong there.

Re Ballestre. Have you noticed that most sporting federation leaders are self-appointed tyrants?

That goes for athleticism, cycling, football, the Olympics, and of course motor racing.

Who really appointed Ballestre, Mosley or Todt ?

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Balestre (From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Marie_Balestre ):

After the war, he worked as a journalist for Robert Hersant at a successful French automobile magazine called L'Auto-Journal. Balestre continued to work with Hersant as he expanded his publishing operations, which made Balestre a wealthy individual.

He was a founding member of the Fédération Française du Sport Automobile, a French national motorsport organization, in 1950, and in 1961 became the first president of the International Karting Commission of the FIA.

He was elected president of the FFSA in 1973 and president of the FIA's International Sporting Commission in 1978. He was instrumental in transforming the International Sporting Commission into the Fédération Internationale du Sport Automobile (FISA) in 1978.

So Balestre was not "self appointed".

Mosley and Todt were both elected by the international members of the FIA (albeit both in one horse races).

Both campaigned in such a way that their rivals eventually realised it was pointless to run against them, and so they were both voted in.

Again, neither of were actually "self-appointed".

About the only person in power in F1 who really has been "self appointed" is Bernie Ecclestone - And that's mainly due to the fact that no one else saw the need for anyone to take control the way he did!

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    That's right. Bernie actually offered the teams a share of the pie when he took control
    of the F-1 commercial rights for the paltry sum of $100K each. The teams declined the
    offer and the rest, as they say, is history.

That $100K investment in Bernie's plan would have paid off hugely for the teams but they
    obviously didn't comprehend what was coming as Bernie's vision solidified F-1 (as we recall
    there was a brief split in F-1, "non-points races" and a lot of upheavel leading up to this)

The other magazine of note in the U.S. that had F-1 news was FORMULA (later renamed
    RACECAR). FORMULA was a monthly, glossy full color racing magazine. I had just read
    an extensive interview with Villeneuve, put the magazine down, turned on the TV news
    which reported the incident from Zolder.

It was a shock to say the least, will never forget it.

BHW

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    We will never know what may have been.

The example of CART, in which the teams were stakeholders, shows that teams running their own series doesn't necessarily works.

11. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Agree. There must be a singular vision for an organization to survive. Too many bosses gives us C.A.R.T, as you stated.