More Crap NBC Non-Coverage of F1 | FerrariChat

More Crap NBC Non-Coverage of F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by mswiek, Aug 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Juts noticed while doing the hide-and-seek search for NBC Sports coverage of Spa this weekend that qualifying will only be shown as a delayed broadcast on Saturday afternoon.

Yippppeeeee-yi-o-ki-yay !!!!!

Guess I'm not surprised after the bag up job NBC in showing -- or not showing, more accurately -- the actual competitors in the Olympics.

2. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    If you have an Apple TV box or a Smart TV you should be fine. You can pull up their coverage there. Presumably they are still recording live as always, the broadcast is just being delayed.

If somehow that is not the case then we are all screwed but I wouldn't put anything past NBCS.

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It sucks, but F1 Qualifying is going to draw paltry ratings.

I sympathize man, but it's the way it is.

4. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    How much longer will F1 (and other mainstream sports) rely on cable networks to broadcast their events? In this era of smart TVs and lightning fast internet speeds, why continue to use the networks? These days you can go directly to the consumer, for a fee, and control all the advertising.

5. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    agreed

6. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    It is not about the customer experience; it is about who will pay the most for the broadcast rights. I am sure if a company would pay more than a cable or network television broadcaster, Bernie would consider it.

7. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    This would be awesome but I think we are a ways away. The broadcasting companies guarantee a large some. Person to person fee would be so unstable and up and down that the risk is very high. Interesting concept though. It would certainly make watching proper racing in the USA way easier.

8. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Awe crap! you mean the summer break is over for F1 and we have to start watching races again? pfttt!

;)

9. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  10. Lucky Jones

Lucky Jones Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Manteca
    Full Name:
    Dave
  11. 355mm

355mm Rookie

Feb 14, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I wish there was a way to get the Sky Sports in the US. I used the web for awhile but that has become an issue. The coverage and commentators are top notch!

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Comcast/Universal/NBC is the worst. Unfortunately, they're as close as there is to a monopoly of both content and channels, so they can get away with it.

I wonder what they're showing at 8 Saturday morning that might draw more viewers....but I don't even care enough to check.

13. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    Wouldn't there be more money in it for the FIA if they went directly to the consumer though their own app? The FIA could charge a subscription fee to consumers, sell advertising, and have almost total control of their media.

14. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I started watching on Sky through some online outlets a few months ago and haven't looked back. Their coverage really is good.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    You guys are all spoiled rotten. From the time I began following F1 in 1967 until sometime in the 1980s, there was NO F1 coverage of any kind on TV, not even when Mario Andretti was going for the championship in '78.

(There were times that I couldn't even find out who had WON a Grand Prix until I got my issue of "Road & Track" that covered the race - 3 months later!)

So the current coverage isn't the greatest? To me, ANY coverage on TV today is just fine!

16. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    My wife and I were in England attending the annual Concours d'Elegance of the Ferrari Owners Club of Great Britain the Sunday of the British G.P. Finally I got to watch a truly professional telecast. What a difference from NBC! P.S. I asked why they had scheduled their Concours against the G.P. they said that they had had to make the hotel commitment and Bernie had delayed finalizing the 2016 schedule until after their deadline.

17. senna1219

senna1219 Karting

Feb 15, 2012
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Carl
    this so true... and with all the options to see practice/qualifying much less the race itself now, and things like almost all 24hrs of Le Mans or virtually any other racing series, its a golden age of racing coverage!

18. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I agree, but it could be so much better

19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 in the 1970's the best source was Pete Lyon's race reports for Autoweek--sometimes 2 weeks after the race, sometimes longer. NY Times would post occasional race results. CBS had sporadic coverage in the late 1970's.

20. 355mm

355mm Rookie

Feb 14, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Chris,
    Could you let me know here or in a PM of what online outlets you use? After a good year or so, the sites I used started giving me weird pop ups asking to upgrade my flash player and if I got around that request, the video stream would freeze up. So I thought this had to be some kind of Adware, Malware or virus.

Thanks,
    Mike

21. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Potentially and that level of uncertainty is what will slow the progression. Right now they get a HUGE amount of money per year and contracted out for how ever many years. To go to the other option you'd be susceptible to waiting for the adoption, people may do monthly's and skip segments of the season they don't care about, etc. The other thing to remember is Networks can give HUGE amounts of money because they need content to fill their inventory. They spread that cost out over many channels and shows. So the cost per person may be rather high just to match that price. Some may find that price prohibitive and they lose out.

I bet they are starting to research this with the App they offer but it'll be a few yet.

I love the idea though. The WEC app for the 24 Hours is absolutely awesome!

22. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Hey, my complaint is not that there aren't work arounds to NBC's intermittent, unreliable, indecipherable and erratic coverage of F1. Sure there are. But why go through the convolutions when NBC bought the rights to cover F1 in the US, promised to expand and improve on SpeedTV's coverage, and so far has failed miserably to deliver ? The first year of the new NBC coverage was not bad. Could have used fewer commercials, but overall not bad. Now, its seems, every weekend there is a new scheduling and channel formula to decode in order to find the coverage which is preempted on the originally dedicated channel by some arcane event. If NBC does not believe it is worth dedicating the time for consistent and predictable coverage, then sell the rights to somebody else who can provide proper coverage. It's the half-assed and apathetic nature of the NBC coverage that is most annoying and unacceptable. And this is before we get into how annoying and alientating is the commentary provided by "Screaming Leigh Diffey" and the extraordinarily verbose hyperventilating super-twit Will Buxton.

23. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    Qualifying is being televised live Saturday morning on Univision - channel 600 for Comcast/Xfinity, starting 7.55am

24. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    My experience dates back to yours as well, but I think the point is, at least to me, not how current U.S. coverage compares with what it used to be, but how it compares with what it could and should be today.

25. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

I agree. Diffey and Buxton are awful, and quite frankly, Hobbs and Matchett, as likeable as they may be, are wearing a little thin. Another thing that frosts me is that after NBC's interminable commercials they insist on running those annoying bumpers instead of returning directly to track action. I am convinced that their producers and directors know nothing about F1 and care even less.