Nicole thinks he is better than Schumie... | FerrariChat

Nicole thinks he is better than Schumie...

Discussion in 'F1' started by freshmeat, Aug 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I am speechless...smh

Do you think your reputation in the paddock took a big step up when you beat Michael Schumacher between 2010 and 2012?
    I think it's gone up every year. It's never gone down, it's kept going up.

But was beating Michael the one step that really made a big difference?
    Of course -- to beat the best of all time.

Full Interview:

2. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Seems like a reasonable attitude. Nowhere did he say he considers himself better than Schumi, just that beating him helped his reputation.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Right on.

He beat MS every year at MB. So yes, he was better. In those years.

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The way I see it, if Nico hadn't been able to beat Schumacher during the 3 years they were together, I don't think he would still be at Mercedes now.

Schumacher was considered a benchmark then, and anyone able to go faster must have looked pretty good in the eyes of Mercedes. That's why they stuck with Nico, and why he is still with them.

I don't think there is any bragging in the interview; he just tells it as it is; the title of this thread is misleading somehow ...

5. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Same here...I do not see what the TO reads into this interview...

6. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    I didn't get that impression from the interview.

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    He calls MS "the best of all time" right in the interview. So how does he think "he's better than Schumacher"?

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    me either

9. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    +1

Now if he'd of said "I became the best of all time by beating Schumacher", it would be a different story.

I've beaten Kimi in karts, doesn't mean I'm a better driver, just I had home track advantage. It was interesting to see his style translated into something I'm familiar with. I knew the new V6's were going to be a problem for him initially. He really likes driving a setup where the front wheels give out before the back wheels, and the new nose regulations cutting air off to the back of the car, combined with the spikier engine performance, were going to give that driving style a *very* difficult time to setup the car.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'll go on record of saying that I actually Like Nico Rosberg.. way better than his father & Hamilton. I follow him on Facebook... and he does these videos and they are just him with his phone and he really seems to be as genuine as you can be... where as Hamilton always has a bit of a smirk that he's being forced to do it... I truly hope he can be world Champion.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I follow Nico on Facebook, and he is my favourite too.
    He is a nice guy with good personality and fast with it.

12. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Agreed. I thought he handled that interview extremely well!

13. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Agreed Nico seems like a genuinely good person

14. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    He is one of the nicer guys out there, just wish he'd find his aggressive control and beat that dum dum to the title this year

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

16. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Right, he's just saying he beat him in those years, which is fair

He's not saying he's better than MS

17. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    WE AGREE!!

Baby steps...

18. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I watched the interview on the tele, it gave me that impression. So, imho, nicole doesn't even have the stats to back his claim, perhaps momentarily during a brief and very late window of Schumie's expansive career, he did get the upper hand but to say he "beat the best" is an overstatement.

It's like me saying I beat someone in 1 game of tennis, when there are at least 2 sets of 6 games to be won before the match is declared over...

So imho, nicole breathed 1 word too much too soon. He hasn't beat anyone...until he gets at least 1 wdc to his name.

19. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    What is wrong with his statement??? He says Schumacher was the best and he said that in their time together he beat him. Both is absolutely correct so what are you reading into this?
    And when you beat one in 1 game of tennis and you think he is the best you can go home and tell your wife with pride that today you have beaten the best...Both you and your wife will know that you are not better in general.
    I think you are making a story out of nothing....

20. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    It seemed like a benign interview...his answers seemed well thought out to me (in reading them...seeing him speak the words could be totally different).

If you're saying that beating Schumacher was a feather in this cap then, yes, clearly that means a lot to him.

21. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    It's not a story.

I'm just sharing why it left a different impression for me. I watched him speak the words, his mannerisms etc and not just static text from a transcript, and that's probably why the overall interview left a different impression on me than it did w others. that's all.

I do not think Nicole is better than Schumacher as he tries to imply.

22. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I don't think he implied that he was better than Schumacher, only that he beat him in a couple of years. He knows the comparison was one of himself at his prime versus Schumacher many years past his best and after a few years away from competitive driving.

The interviewer was leading him on and trying to get a certain answer out of him, but Rosberg came across as both reasonable and tactful. You may be reading too much into this.

All the best,
    Andrew.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #24 william, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    +1

To be fair, Schumacher's years at Mercedes weren't his best, and he may have wished that he never made that come-back - I don't know.

The whole episode was fruitless and somehow ruined his reputation of invincibility.

It also gave more weight to the saying that "you should know when to quit", and "it's better to quit at the top".

25. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    I think his comeback hurt his rep somewhat. Pre comeback most driver rankings had Schumacher as first or second GOAT but more resent ones im seeing have him around 4th. Definitely hurt him somewhat