stupid F1 rules and penalties | FerrariChat

stupid F1 rules and penalties

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Aug 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    How stupid is it that the rules create penalties that force someone who is fighting for the world championship to not even bother to qualify for a race?

This is somehow good for the fans?

It freaking ridiculous. It's like saying a football quarterback has to sit out a game because his helmet cracked and he had to replace it.

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    More ridiculous even that engine numbers are limited for costs control but once you go over your allocation you might as well use 4 new ones at the same race instead of one, without any further penalties

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, that comparison is not fair. This is car racing, reliabity is part of the game. But I think that there shouldn´t be penalties for mechanical failures: the loss of points should be enough penalty.

This trick of using lots of new engines in a GP to have fresh spares for the rest of the season is ridiculous, it is against the purpose and the spirit of the rule and should not be allowed in any way.

4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    All of the teams agreed to restricting the number of power units that could be used in a season in the name of cost saving. The basis of that cost saving was to do with preventing the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes using three~five brand new power units every weekend, including a special qualifying engine, whilst the smaller teams could not afford to be so extravagant with their engine usage.

All of the teams know the rules that they are playing to, so why should a team not be punished just because their driver is challenging for the WDC?

If they don't like the rules on power unit usage then they shouldn't have agreed to them!

What I find more stupid is that the FIA have left a loophole whereby a certain team can take an engine penalty, and fiddle it so that they can now have three extra brand new engines available for their driver for the rest of the season with no extra penalties applied!

In some ways yes, because it means that a driver challenging for the Championship will have to go racing from the back of the grid in order to get a good result, rather than just cruising around gaining some easy points at the front of the field.

The driver isn't "sitting out the game" though is he? - He's just starting from the back of the grid.

In (American) Football parlance, it's like the quarterback being told he can only start the game from the kick off of the second half if he has a cracked helmet before the game starts and he has to replace it.

That may also seem ridiculous, but if it's the rule that all of the NFL teams all agreed to for whatever reason, then like it or not, it's the rule that has to be applied.

Is it not ridiculous that once an F1 team has accrued enough penalties to put their car to the back of the grid, then they are free to do whatever they like because the penalties become meaningless numbers? Shouldn't an applied penalty actually penalise a team for breaching the rules?

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    What we have is the remarkable outcome from a bad rule poorly written.

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    F1 would be so easy to fix. It's incredible how stupid the people are who run this show. It's almost like they want it to fail.....

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

They write very strict rules, but leave enough loopholes for teams to interpret them and drive horses and cart through them.

F1 is truly a farce nowadays.

Going over the engine allocation should penalise the team, but not the driver, IMO.
    Therefore grid penalties aren't the answer. The FIA should take away points from the teams' WCC results.; that affects the money for the following year.

Grid penalties should only be used to punish drivers' faults.

8. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Correct me if I'm wrong (as always) but wasn't there a precedent last year with the McLarens at Austria getting 25 place grid penalties whereby everyone thought they'd get penalties for the next race (Silverstone iirc) but no further penalty was given despite the grid being smaller than the grid penalty.

They had plenty of time to close the loophole.

Best,
    Sammy

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It happened so many times. At one race I think they had 150+ grid penalties, lol.

10. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    I give up lol !

Best,
    Sammy

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think they changed the rules, and agreed that grid penalties shouldn't be carried over to future GPs.

I may be wrong on that ...

You can't really condemn a driver like Alonso, or Hamilton to start from the back of the grid in the next 4 or 5 GPs, can you?

That would make a farce of F1.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Of course not. What's farcical is taking 4 brand new engines, because there's no additional penalty anyways, so he now has a huge surplus of engines. THAT's the farcical part and unsporting.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If Mercedes has read the rules better than any other team, kudos to Mercedes, I say.

Yes, farcical and unsporting, but that's interpreting the rules to your advantage.

I won't be surprise if that loophole is soon closed, though ...

My beef is that these rules penalise the driver more than the team.

14. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    F1 is like the US Tax Code

15. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    This has been a problem with F1 for about 10 years now. :eek:

16. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Great idea.

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What a farce. Why not 500 grid spot penalty? I'm about ready to give up watching F1. What is more interesting? Continental tire sportcar challenge. Now that is low

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It's pretty hilarious. A friend of mine is racing in F4. He just got a 10 place grid penalty for blowing a motor. Makes even less sense to punish the driver given that it's a spec motor/car in F4.

I think the race will be interesting tomorrow though with Kimi and Max at the front and Hamilton at the back.

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    F1 is broken. There's so many rules that doesn't make sense and has to be changed. Well who cares anyways.

20. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    The issue is not the rules but the governance. The sport is run by committee (all the teams) and that is only ever going to result in a worst case compromise acceptable to all parties. The sport needs to go back to being run by a dictator that isn't affiliated to any team but is simply interested in the marketability of the sport. Like Bernie...

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Um no. Everyone knew this would happen long before anyhow, it didn't take a genius. I'm not angry with Mercedes, I'm annoyed with the rules that the loophole STILL hasn't been closed since last year. It's just unsporting.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly 100% correct.

23. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    right on..

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
  25. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I agree with Hamilton, current PU is as exciting as wallpaper paste. I know we can't go back, but it sure was more fun and much more pleasant and exciting to listen to. I feel very fortunate that I was able to attend so many races between 1992 and 2013 in person. The amount of money that I have saved over the last 3 years of not attending F1 races has allowed me some fantastic trips to wonderful places. Thanks to the FIA I am developing interests outside of F1 and no longer spending near as much money or time on F1.