Gangsta Lewis | FerrariChat

Gangsta Lewis

Discussion in 'F1' started by SimCity3, Aug 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

#1 SimCity3, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It's a ****ing peace sign. :rolleyes:

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    What a tool!

4. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    Which one?

G

5. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Not in Stevenage

6. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    what is it in Stevenage?

7. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    There ain't one. It's white middle class who say "good afternoon - how are you today ?" :D

8. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Lol only on fchat people claim something universally known as a peace sign is a gang sign. Seen it all now.

I'm no gangster but a quick Google search of crips sign clearly shows you what one is and this isn't it.

9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Let me clarify something...

Elevated V-sign, thumb towards recipient: victory and peace.

Elevated V-sign, back of hand towards recipient: unambiguously rude, signifying lack of respect and intent to dominate.

Sideways or Inverted V-sign, back of hand towards recipient: rap culture. Who the hell knows what it's supposed to mean. If you know, I'm all ears.​

All the best,
    Andrew.

10. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    #10 toil, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2018
    I am no expert on hand signs. All I know is it's certainly not a crips sign as the title claims. In some peoples world views, to claim it as a crips sign could be construed as being racist.

Lewis's arm is torqued downwards by virtue of being rested on Daniels shoulder. Ergonomically, yanking his hand upwards to ensure his palm is facing the recipient would be downright uncomfortable. He is smiling and body language is of a positive and inviting nature not a rude one. It is clear to the objective observer that the intent of this hand gesture is not a rude one.

Either way you cut it, the title of the thread is incorrect and could offend some people.

11. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    That is a peace sign. Did I miss something here? And when did Lewis join a gang? He is an F1 Driver for Mercedes.

12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Stevenage?...... Gangland? ........ Don't make me laugh, the closest Elton got to joining a gang was when his dad put on his old records 'wanna be in my gang' which I think is either Alvin stardust or Gary glitter - neither of whoms gang you would want to be in (look em up)

13. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #13 NeuroBeaker, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016

He's a British driver. A V-sign showing the back of the hand is never polite in Britain. The orientation of the hand is a distinction that anyone in Britain would know.

Edit: I've updated the title - perhaps that's less offensive than Crips.

All the best,
    Andrew.

14. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    why do you know everything?

15. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Oh, I wouldn't pretend to know everything. I just know a few things that come up in conversation from time to time.

All the best,
    Andrew.

16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Do you think he actually knows the meaning of all that??? I would say he just wanted to look cool...Some people do interpret way to much in everything....

17. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Nobody in America would misinterpret a middle finger. Similarly, nobody in England would misinterpret a V-sign showing the back of the hand. It's just a given over here that is intended as an insult.

What turning a rude V sideways or upsidedown is supposed to mean, I've no idea. It comes up in a lot of rap videos, but I'm more of a blues/rock kind of guy.

All the best,
    Andrew.

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The (current and previous) titles where very obvious in jest. Not everything here is anti elton...

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Eastside (of Monte Carlo)

20. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #20 Neonzapper, Aug 29, 2016
    I think Lewis was just making a "cool" peace sign (arm on shoulder).
    ------------------
    From some website:

"At the end of the movie Le Mans, Steve McQueen raises his hand with two fingers showing. I was told this salute has some sort of meaning. What is it?

This gesture is English in origin. Hundreds of years ago when the French and English were at war, the French would cut off the fingers of the English bowmen when captured so they couldn't use their bows anymore. The English bowmen would therefore taunt the French across enemy lines by using this particular gesture." (meaning: I may have lost this battle, but I still have my two fingers)

21. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Come on Andrew, you're egging on this entire hatred of Lewis. It's obvious he's simply making the peace sign. Everyone in the F1 section has lost their damn minds. "In rap culture" it's the peace sign or "what's up".

I could show you the crip sign, and blood sign since I went to school with both gangs and had acquaintances in both. There is no gang sign that looks anything remotely similar to that.

22. Opie

Opie Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    North NJ
    #22 Opie, Aug 29, 2016
    I don't post often, but you're spot on.

This is some weird obsession with cutting Hamilton down to size around here that detracts from otherwise excellent commentary from clearly knowledgeable people.

The ban of a very vocal member recently for callin a Ferrari driver a name, when others do it to Hamilton constantly is just another data point along the same lines.

23. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    +1...

24. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    I wouldn't call it "Rap" culture ... Maybe "Hip-Hop" culture which is much larger than just "Rap"

You are correct about the hand gesture being a "What's Up" or a (lazy) "Peace Sign"

Its definitely not a gang sign ... I also know much much much too much about street gangs

Peace

G

25. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My clarification of the V signs was a response to a complaint. Lewis is a British driver, so I felt putting the gesture in a British context would be helpful.

That was the final straw, but it most certainly wasn't just that. I don't think he engaged with us in good faith and approached participation like a battle to uphold Hamilton. Data points I'm conscious of are:

He's had a lot of guidance, chances, and even direct support from me during his time here but he just leaves animosity in his wake. In my opinion, he didn't participate in good faith, could not be amiable, and probably enjoyed stirring up ill-feeling otherwise he would have changed his approach. Tifosi12 manages to be a Hamilton fan without antagonising everyone.

All the best,
    Andrew.