IMHO: Indycar race at Watkins Glen was...... | FerrariChat

IMHO: Indycar race at Watkins Glen was......

Discussion in 'F1' started by Doug3, Sep 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug3

Doug3 Karting

Dec 20, 2012
    much more exciting than the Italian GP. WG is the former home of the USGP and it was a great race that had cars passing each other as opposed to a parade of cars following two Mercedes.

(Flame suit on.)

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #2 DeSoto, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Long explanation: despite F1 not being at it's best, and even when at it's best there weren't so many close battles as in other formulae, it still more interesting for me than the semi-single make championship that Indycar is today. I'm interested not just in the racing but also in the cars, and F1 cars are more interesting than Indy cars. The strenght of the particpants in F1 is also greater and many of their tracks are also more interesting.

Short explanation: I don't care.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    GP2/3 races where rather excellent at Monza.

4. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    #4 tervuren, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    I agree, I'm amazed at Mercedes multi-year dominance, its awesome to watch them be so much faster. Its also amazing just how good the Red Bull is in the corners compared to the others on the grid.

For racing action with passing, I watch select NASCAR track's, especially the ones with older rough pavement. Unfortunately, of late, NASCAR is being very obviously "managed", and I've lost a lot of interest.

5. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    It seems the GP2/3 races are more entertaining than the actual F1 races lately...

I watched the Indy at Watkins glen for nostalgia purposes as the Glen is my favorite track. It was good racing. Lots of action all day. I would love to see F1 get back there, but they never would, its not "safe" enough.

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I enjoyed watching the Indycar race from Watkins Glen. The condition of the track looked first rate and the weather was gorgeous. All in all a great event, I may plan to attend next year.

7. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    +1. And the Indy Lights race was good as well. And the Lights cars look less ridiculous.

8. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If you catch a day like this year it is wonderful. I'd suggest staying in Ithaca and driving over to the Glen. Accommodations and restaurants are much better in Ithaca.