Fascinating reading re MB suspension | FerrariChat

Fascinating reading re MB suspension

Discussion in 'F1' started by classic308, Sep 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Yes, it explains that every other team has been sleeping on the <design> job.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Surely a fully hydraulic suspension = movable suspension = movable aerodynamic device = illegal?

3. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Without having understood the entire technical background I doubt that it is really illegal unless the FIA inspectors slept for a long time...But even if they would come to the conclusion now that it was not legal, what could they do about it? Disqualify Mercedes? I even more doubt about that....

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Well..they let Brawn win the championship with an ilegal car (yes, it was ilegal).....They let Alonso and hamilton fight till the end for a championship while driving a acr built on stolen data!!! They let merc run a tyre test while it was forbidden and got away with it...They made the rules acording to merc wishes...all wa smade for them to win..and they are doing just so, so why bother...everything goes acording to plan....(except the part were people are stopping to watch the races)

5. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Tells me that the drivers are a small part of the F1 equation and getting smaller.

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Illegal may be the wrong word. > > >
    As above, I think illegal may be the wrong word. They certainly are exploring the limits of legal/illegal. Like the Brawn and their double diffuser (another poorly written rule that was exploited by some teams, Williams and Toyota had it too from the start), Mercedes has taken a rule that was made for the cash poor and desperately slow Manor, and fully exploited it. On a car that is already by far and away the best, they're taking the piss, really. All teams promptly removed all FRIC related stuff, Mercedes just develops it in the way they interpreted the rule change. Remember Sochi? There was an excellent camera shot of how much the mercedes can lean through a corner. Never seen that before in my life.

The funny part is; ALL teams need to unanimously agree that it has to be removed. That means ALL teams, including Mercedes. Now why would they agree to a rule change, which would mean they have to redesign their entire suspension?

Our only hope is that by next year it WILL be outlawed. Not that they will be much on the backfoot...but we can hope.
    :(

7. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Well, when they declared FRIC not so legal everyone knew MERC was the ones pushing it the hardest. Voila, the next race not much changed (as far as I remember). Don't put your dreams on this being outlawed and changing the world. Who knows if it won't resurface in another form anyhow. They also assumed they'd be done with this topic after FRIC.

8. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I think its sad that road cars can have more advanced suspension's than F1 cars. :\

9. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Without wanting to open that can of worms, F1 has long ago ceased to be the pinnacle of anything. In that sense the current PUs are a push in the right directions. Would they have stuck to V8 everything would have been yesterday's tech, except the aero and FRIC (edit: and tyre management) :D

An all out tech race might indeed become somewhat interesting in race cars that are purely computer controlled, all about algorithm. Not that I see that being particularly interesting to watch but because the human factor does not stand in the center point.

10. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Why every time a team comes up with a sophisticated smart and innovative component automatically becomes illegal? All I wish is Ferrari would have thought that and apply it to its cars. Some teams are playing politics while some others spend their time thinking outside the box and creating smart designs.

11. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    As-if each front-running team doesn't already have a non-FRIC suspension under development....

The question is, who has the best preliminary design? My money is on Mercedes AMG, as I believe they still receive the most advanced rules change leaks on the grid.

However, Ferrari were one of the best pre-FRIC teams, and Arrivabene better start pulling his weight as the team's "in the know" Principal soon.

I do disagree, however, that F1 suspension tech is anything but cutting-edge. Such nuance to tire deformation control is surely leaps-and-bounds beyond anything considered "road legal" is a joke. While the control is insanely minute, it makes a large difference at speed, on an F1 circuit, in an F1 car, but would be otherwise wasted on the road, in a road car, at pedestrian speeds. Hell, it would make close to zero difference in an AMG GT around the 'ring over the course of 1 lap.

12. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yep!

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What aerodynamic device is moving?

While the article actually says little or nothing, only hints that Mercedes is still connecting front to rear the concept is to control pitch of the car so that it is more stable for aero performance.

So if connecting front to rear was banned, if Mercedes are still doing this then it is illegal, otherwise not.
    Pete

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Controlling the pitch = making the entire car movable, is it not?

15. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    LOL! Aren't you a NASCAR fan? Advanced technology?

16. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sounds legal to me, but clearly not in the spirit of the original exception for Manor.

That being said, they are run by Germans and they can't help it.

Seriously though - very smart; that is what you get with around one thousand people on a team.

Finally - take the spacer out; or don't. Everyone knows about it now. Everyone has a "heave", just not as developed. It only changes pitch correct? Mechanical/hydraulic and not computer controlled? I only have a problem with systems that balance front to back or side-to-side actively by computer personally.

Cool article - thanks for link.

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    But it's a suspension joint no? They cannot actively control the pitch at speed correct? That would be illegal. Their "heave" just reacts to changes in load no?

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree only if it is *actively managed*. There should be no active management in suspension if you want a WDC. This would be a great area for robot racing in the future.

EDIT - except actively managed by the driver of course aka "weight jacker" in Indycar

19. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I say video or it didn't happen - the next time he goes hot into a 90 degree corner at 200 mph and his road car sticks, I'll be a believer.

20. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hahahahaha.

Exactly - these things are spaceships!