Ferrari team principal fined for littering | FerrariChat

Ferrari team principal fined for littering

Discussion in 'F1' started by 24000rpm, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ahh yes Singapore..a fine City.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Good, he should respect the host nation laws and customs.

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    F1 seems to favor totalitarian venues these days.....

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    How ridiculous, and what a stupid fine. In the UK, if they can be bothered, they will fine you £60 ($72ish), and I've never known anyone be fined

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

speaking of which, I can smoke inside a restaurant without any fine, in China.

7. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    +1
    Everyone knows how strict they are in Singapore.

Have you guys been there? It is exceptional how clean this city is, really impressive. Why would strict laws against the most stupid thing on earth (littering) make it a totalitarian venue? All this was is poor briefing my Ferrari to its staff or ignorance by Arrivabene.

8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 a great place to be. My fave city in the world. Its their city and laws. Deal with it LOL. Again they had every right to do this and he has ZERO to say about it.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

10. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    +1

Tossing a cigarette butt is probably second nature, he did it without even thinking (or remembering their strict law).

And I agree, it's the cleanest city I've ever seen. In the countless times I've been there, I've seen litter only once, and it was picked up within minutes.

11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I have to fess up ...i was heading down to Orchard one evening for a few drinks around 6pm, , i hadn't eaten all day so grabbed a take out B King before going down onto the MRT...it was around 30 mins trip.

The carriage was pretty empty so not seeing any camera's i quietly got stuck into it,and i took the wrappings away with me of course.Got a few strange frowns from a couple of 'uncles' ..a couple of school girls were giggling somewhat too.

Must admit i felt relieved when i got through the barriers at the other end ! (without a SGD 500 fine)

Deterrents do work ..well most of the time lol.I didn't repeat it.

If Arrivaderchi can't even work out the basic rules in Sg ,how can anyone expect him to sort out pit stop stategies etc?

12. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    About time. Ferrari as 3rd best team is rubbish.

13. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Ouch! $730 USD fine, and the six hours in detention would not be pleasant for a careless action. Surely he meant no disrespect.

14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    What IS it with people and their cigarette butts? Our buildings have signage and proper receptacles, yet, here I am picking up DOZENS of butts off the ground. Mere feet away from these receptacles. Self-absorbed and unthinking is one thing, but it's an intentional act.

I confronted a lady one day who was chain smoking and dropping her butts in the same spot. I'm talking 8, 10 or a dozen at a go. When I saw her smoking right on the spot, I asked her if she could please pick up her butts. She apologized and said she yes. She got the message, apparently, because I haven't seen a pile of butts in that area again. That said, how is that I have to have a chat with her? She's an adult. She knows it's not appropriate. She knows there's a receptacle just a few feet away. The signs are in English (and Spanish). I mean, is this a case of you can lead a horse to water, but...?

Anyway, we see is all the time, though. And, people who don't pick up their dog's waste is another problem. What's wrong with people?

CW

15. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    That's the problem. His unthinking action is an imposition on everyone else. And, if everyone were careless, we'd be swimming in butts or dog waste up to our eyeballs. No disrespect may have been intended, but that's not an excuse. It's still a violation. And, the way to get people to comply is to fine them. Good luck finding a LEO to cite someone for minor violations, though. They've got bigger fish to fry like harassing drivers for going a few miles over the speed limit.

But, if there's a donut shop on fire, you better bet they'll get the lead out. ;)

CW

16. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    #16 Flavio_C, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    That's pretty much what every Italian that smokes does! But what makes me more angry are the dog owners of Milan who leave the poo in the sidewalk! They deserve not only a fine but also a punch on their faces!

Singapore, I salute you, well done! Arrivabene, shame on you!

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I probably should have said "authoritarian" rather than "totalitarian.":)

I agree that local laws should always be respected. The application of those laws can be called into question, though, and while I have no problem with the fine, detention seems to be excessive.

Hey! The poor guy's got Sweater Boy breathing down his neck. He has stuff on his mind!;)

18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    An expensive cigarette but could have been worse. At Singapore they still use caning as a form of legal punishment.

19. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I remember one of ex US presidents to personally fly to Singapore for a plea not to whip a boy who's a US citizen. that's like years ago. Clinton? memory fails me.

20. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Clinton intervened but did not travel to Singapore.

21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The answer to your question is as you yourself have observed. "...She knows it's not appropriate. She knows there's a receptacle just a few feet away...". Smokers also know smoking is likely to cause serious health problems. Women know smoking ages them, smell bad and dry up their looks to their own grief... and yet they still do it.

Addiction to smoking is a sign of psychological dysfunction, an inability to respond rationally in one's own interest. Littering is a potential health hazard, not only to the larger community but to the litterer as well.

Singapore is a very small and crowded city-state and any negative impact on its tiny eco-environment can rapidly tip its eco balance and affect the huge population that live there.

22. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

That's why the UK is a mess. Cigarettes, smashed beer bottles, used tampons and far worse litter the streets. Lack of good manners and self respect have taken a tumble.
    Only Mayfair is reasonably tidy in London.

23. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    don't worry arrivabene, next race in malaysia you can smoke and dump the butt anywhere you like because in malaysia nobody care

24. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I can't stand seeing people litter, especially cigarettes.

25. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I live at a beach resort half the year and I am constantly picking up butts flung around by vacationers. There are designated areas, but they insist on smoking IN the pool and leaving everything to clog filters and spa jets. They also leave empty beer cans, food containers, etc. lying around to blow into the pool and all over the property. I have pretty much grown to hate anyone on vacation because they treat a beautiful property like it's their personal toilet.

I wish I could fine them. I have zero problem telling them to stop smoking and to put their trash away, but they all fling back the same crap "Why don't you relax. You're on vacation." To which I always have to respond that I'm not vacationing. I live there, and they're litering in my home.