Please NBC, keep Brian Till away from F1 | FerrariChat

Please NBC, keep Brian Till away from F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by HolyRoller, Sep 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HolyRoller

HolyRoller Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    SE NC
    Full Name:
    Captain Slow
    I haven't posted or visited here in awhile, but the last two GP weekends have been annoying enough to invoke "see something? say something!" Besides, I know everybody missed me so.

Now this Brian Till fellow seems sincere and enthusiastic enough, and he has at least 20 starts in the old CART series, and is a driving instructor, and all that. However, and I'm far from the only one to have voiced this opinion, you'd think from hearing his commentary that Monza 2016 and SG 2016 were, respectively, the first and second times he has ever seen a Formula 1 race.

Thankfully, Diffey was back for the Italian GP itself, but BT's calls of FP2 and qualy sounded like he was just looking at the monitor and tossing out repeated BGOs (blinding glimpses of the obvious). That was a long time ago and I can't recall too many specifics, but the commentary was along the lines of "this football game will come down to three things: offense, defense, and special teams. And the side that scores more points will win." I mean, seriously, they should have at least yanked one of the former NASCAR drivers who follows F1 (I understand many of them do, closely).

Then this week, for reasons known only to NBC, the Indy race had dibs on LD and we had to suffer through the amateur hour at Singapore. As others have said, BT more than once came across as though he didn't know what was happening on track and had to ask Matchett and Hobbs pretty basic questions. Plus, he couldn't seem to remember he was calling F1, not NASCAR, resulting in gentle correction a time or two.

Examples, as best I can remember:

[just after safety car deployment] "Lots of cars entering Pit Road ..." [SM, seconds later] "Yes, there's a lot of traffic on pit LANE."

[commenting on Raikkonen's effort] "He's doing whatever it takes to get his team to Victory Circle." [SM, with saintly patience] "We don't have Victory Circle in Formula 1, old chap."

[still later] "Hamilton's coming onto Pit Road." [SM doubtless buries face in hands, says nothing]

I do believe he mistook Toro Rosso for Red Bull and attributed Sainz's sidepod damage to Verstappen, which is somewhat picky since RBR and STR colors are similar, but pro sportscasters should learn the differences, such as RBR says "Red Bull" on the rear wing and STR has a wordless Red Bull logo.

[toward the end] "I don't understand how Hamilton is staying ahead of Raikkonen." [DH, deadpan] "Well, they both have the same tires, same age," and other factors that any mild F1 fan should have known--and DH didn't even point out that Hammy has three WDCs to Kimi's one, not to mention that Mercedes' F1 car is just plain faster than Ferrari's F1 car this year, so the real question would be "how in the world is Raikkonen not even further behind than he is?"

[after the finish, announcing for about the fifth time that Rosberg now leads the WDC] "This will really light Hamilton's fire." Yup, he had no motivation before, not a bit.

That's just what I can remember. If NBC insists on keeping Brian Till anywhere in the F1 backup crew, he really needs to sit and watch every minute of every race for the last ten seasons. I've literally done just that and I'm far from the most rabid F1 fan.

2. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Agreed. Brian is a decent enough commentator but leave him to American races. Why Leah Diffy went to Indy car while Brian went to F1 seemed backwards to me. I missed Will Buxton too. Condolences to him on the passing of his father. Hoping the original crew is back soon or I'll spend the money to get Sky F1 if I can.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'd still prefer Till over Diffey. At least he doesn't yell at me. Frankly Matchett can do the race call as well as either of them without getting on my last good nerve......

4. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Bring back Bob Varsha!!!!!!!!!!!!! Steve Matchette is superb, & the pit lane chap is very good also, but for heaven's sake bring back Varsha.

5. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    You guys actually listen to the commentary? I kind of tune it out and just watch the race itself. Btw, first you want Diffey replaced and when there is a substitute, you want Diffey back? That's like Vettel complaining about Kvyat, and Max replaces him. I'm sure Seb prefers Kvyat back in a Red Bull. lol

6. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    +1! Let Diffey take Indycar, as I never watch that, and give us Varsha back. The chemistry that Varsha, Hobbs and Matchett have is very good and Diffey is beyond annoying, he is always trying to have his Al Michaels "do you believe in miracles" moment every 5 minutes. If I don't have to hear Diffey yell "it Hammertime" again, the world would be a better place.

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    WTF is Victory Circle :confused:

8. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I can't stand Diffy. His mispronunciation of words is frustrating.

Till is monotonous and boring, but its not Diffy

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Till is the worst captain obvious in a million years. Sack this idiot!

10. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    LOL! This thread is a bloodbath.

11. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Back when I actually watched the races, the commentary was so bad, I'd put the television on mute. Seriously. Bad.

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    One of Till's dumbest comments was his advice to Rosberg on how to save his brakes: instead of hard braking you have to roll through the corners and let the tires do the grip

Kindergarten clown

13. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hate to pile on, but yes, he sucks!!!!!!!! terrible!!!!

They should give one of us guys a shot, that would be entertainment. :)

14. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I want Bob Varsha. And James Allen is a better choice than Will Buxton.

15. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004
    Perfect analysis
    Brian Till can call Nicole "Dale Earnhardt" and he'll still be better than Diffey

16. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree, Brian is a bit out of his element here. However in fairness I must point one thing from the original post.

When BT said he didn't understand how Hamilton was able to maintain the gap to Kimi, and Hobb-O gave his condescending "well they are on the same tires, same age.." response, they were NOT on the same tires. Hammy was on Super Soft and Kimi had just gone on a new set of Ultra Soft, specifically to try to make the jump. Not surprised Hobb-O missed it. Pretty sure he shows up to the broadcasts with a jug of claret and a head start.

Brian tried to bring the point back up a couple of times and got the "Be quiet, Sonny. Your betters are speaking" treatment.

So no, he's a bit out of his depth at the moment, but fair when fair is due. He was right on that point.

17. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    "Back when I actually watched the races, the commentary was so bad, I'd put the television on mute. Seriously. Bad."

So it was like watching Formula E?

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Kimi was on a used set of US, Hamilton on NEW SS

19. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you. I missed the new vs. used nuance.

However, still not the 'same tires, same age' so my defense of Brian Till's commentary, and criticism of David Hobbs' condescending brush off still stands.

(That may be my last defense of him as an F1 commentator, however. I do appreciate his work as an IMSA pit lane reporter, this just might not be his niche.)

20. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    #20 kevfla, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    That's why I watch most of the race on Univision...and I don't even speak Spanish!

Plus, their commercials seem to cycle at different times than NBC's schedule. When Hobbs & Company go to a commercial break, switch to Univision. Same feeds.

21. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I didn't get any condescension from Hobbs. In fact I'd say he's pretty deferential to his colleagues.

As for Till, I still prefer him over Diffey shouting at me. Sometimes I think I'm listening to Robin Leach.

22. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Diffey or Varsha; either's job is to provide color and flow not technical analysis.
    IMO both do a good job.
    Bob Costas does a great job in other sports and I cant stand the guy.
    Till is a little awkward.
    Anyone remember Troy Aikman in his early broadcast days ? Painful.

I like both Allen and Buxton.
    Buxton has a bit more enthusiasm while Allen has more insight.

23. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Hey great tip. I like Varsha. Not sure why BT and LD were swapped. Maybe for experience? WB was a bit annoying at first but getting better. I think he will be fine when he gets back. A sobering family event, God bless him. :(

24. 2003Enzo

2003Enzo Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    :D I liked Brian Till actually. It's nice hearing something other than a British/Australian accent for once and he was a driver.

I enjoyed hearing the commentary from James Allen. Clear and technical(too much for NBCSN to handle probably) and far less tabloid-style gossipy crap. I honestly cannot stand the way Buxton interviews people.

25. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That breathless thing that Buxton does is annoying. I like his enthusiasm but it's a bit forced. Worse by far, though, are the commercial interruptions on NBCSN. Then when they finally come back they have to do a bumper promo or local scene shot while the race continues unseen. TV directors and producers are totally locked into a formula these days.