Analysis: How Vettel is seeking an advantage with 2017 Pirelli testing | FerrariChat

Analysis: How Vettel is seeking an advantage with 2017 Pirelli testing

Discussion in 'F1' started by rob lay, Sep 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 rob lay, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Thank You GOD... the cars finally look like F-1 cars again. wide tires, large wings in the back... Its like a bad dream has come to an end.

3. 250 lusso

250 lusso Karting

May 2, 2004
    Looks like they've outfitted it with sliding skirts too!

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Will they allow more overtaking though?

I doubt it.

Larger tyres and wider rear wings means more turbulences for the car behind.

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    But, isn't it the job of the driver to know his equipment? I mean, the only thing that's important to me in this is that no other driver seems to care enough to bother themselves. That, to me, is foolish on their part.

But, I see a driver like Vettel taking his work ethic from MS. This is EXACTLY something I would have expected MS to do. ANYTHING for an advantage. All rocks will be overturned to find time and be more competitive. Especially when you're not as competitive as you need to be to win.

Every driver ought to be chomping at the bit to get information about the sneakers.

CW

6. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    still no sound.

7. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Supposedly the cars will be 'scary' to drive again.

8. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    OCTOBER 14, 2016

Hamilton misses Pirelli test with sore foot

This week's tyre testing shows why the pre-season should be moved from Europe to the Middle East.

That is the view of Pirelli boss Paul Hembery, as two factors marred the tyre supplier's efforts to develop next year's bigger slicks in Barcelona.

Mercedes insisted that both Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton be available to drive the team's modified 2015 mule car this week, and Rosberg duly turned up in Spain.

But Hamilton, fresh from his tumultuous Japanese grand prix, called in sick with a sore foot.

"It was agreed he wouldn't test so he could rest it and get physio to be in good shape for Austin," a Mercedes spokesman explained.

Not only that, rain has also affected Pirelli's plans to run the 2017 slicks, which are expected to be several seconds per lap faster.

"The same (kind of weather) can apply to the early part of next year, which is why we are in favour of some guaranteed warm weather testing in 2017, before the season gets underway," Hembery said.

9. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
  10. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I seem to recall a few years back when Pirelli invited everyone to come in and spend a day with their engineers discussing the new tire construction and compounds...

Vettel was the one and only driver to show up.

Like him or hate him, it says something about his commitment and motivation that he does this.

11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Vettel has an excellent work ethic. I hope he is recharged after the coming winter break and is able to push this new car forward. I still very much fear the Mercedes domination a bit and also Red Bull's new machine as well.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    IMO there is too much front tyre ... are they preparing for 4WD ;)
    Pete