Ferrari. Opinions | FerrariChat

Ferrari. Opinions

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Oct 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Ferrari "a group of scared people, not a team" – Baldisserri

Ferrari "a group of scared people, not a team" - Baldisserri

Ferrari is no longer a Formula 1 team but "a group of scared people", according to the Maranello squad's former chief engineer Luca Baldisserri.

Red Bull surprised by how Ferrari gave up Japan podium

Red Bull surprised by how Ferrari gave up Japan podium

Red Bull said it was surprised at the way Ferrari threw away its chances of a podium finish at the Japanese Grand Prix with its strategy choice.

2. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Yep, Ferrari are certainly on the back foot.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Lacking direction and fear breeds a culture of low risk taking and a lack of innovation. Until that is gone, they wont be winning very much. Not surprised to read this at all...

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's quite simply, a mess. Todt together with Brawn and the encouragement of Schumacher, brought the house in order in the 90s. When LdM suddenly wanted it to be all Italian again (except for the drivers apparently), it became disorganized. Italians are too much heart, which is admirable but not very wise when you go up against highly organized outfits such as Mercedes, Mclaren, Red Bull, Williams...in the grand scheme of things, they've actually done rather well and holding up great against the Red Bull.

I like Arrivabene, but I'm undecided he's the best man for the job. We'll see. If he does get replaced, they should find the right man for the job, not the most Italian.

5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2 things spring to my mind.

I doubt that is the culture Arrivabene is trying to create. However, I bet it is the actual culture because of Marchionne. You cannot force culture. It is created on its own as the result of what is recognized and what is punished.

Second, Horner is probably right, but it also benefits him to cause more drama at Ferrari. So smart move by him regardless.

Honestly I think Ferrari is in big trouble because Allison left, but I'm still surprised at some of the strategy calls and mistakes this year. That is really just race time execution.

6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Though I'm pleasantly surprised in their speed again with their update. Despite no lead designer, the team is working hard and well.

The strategy really has to be sorted out properly...

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Cue the "we need Newey, Brawn, Todt, Costa back, etc."

I think what Ferrari needs is a better engineering talent scout academy or connection with universities.

If Red Bull have been able to become the best at attracting and grow the best young engineers, not to talk about drivers, in so little time why can't Ferrari do the same rather than having to pay full price on already well estabilished engineers?
    Why didn't they spot Allison's skills first time round and never let him go away from the Schumacher's days rather than having to re-acquire him once he was already estabilished and had family in the UK?

8. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have to agree with this.

Ferrari need to make sure they're hiring the best person for every single position, not just the best Italian. Limiting your recruitment pool is a surefire way to ensure mediocrity. Once they've got the dream team together, just get out of the way and let them work - that's exactly how the 2000-2004 period of dominance was set up, with the recruitment of Todt, Brawn, and Schumacher in the mid 1990s.

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

I agree they need to scout universities, but they also need to have a more immediate solution. They can't wait until the spotty teenagers are fully graduated, to then start at the team...that'll take forever.

Brawn is definitely out, Todt is too busy saving the planet, Newey won't come because he doesn't want to go to Italy.

Ferrari need the engineering academy but also start seriously thinking about setting up a base in the UK. Italy is about to implode, why would anyone taking risk to work/live there? Many of these highly talented men have wives/kids, asking them to move to a country (and more specifically, REGION) where little english is spoken, is madness.

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, it still remains one of the nicest place on earth, if you ask me...you would'nt have to ask me twice!

Rgds

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    True, but having more experience than most living in countries where I don't speak the local lingo it can be very annoying. Every day stuff is fine, is when unexpected stuff needs doing where the headaches start.

I'm so used to living in countries not speaking the local lingo I wouldn't mind *that much*, but I easily understand why some people will simply not do it.

I'm lucky enough that I can work from anywhere as long as there is good internet, cell reception and an airport nearby (latter for convenience). But there are times when I just get so frustrated I want to move permanently to the UK, lol.

*as for languages...I've moved to so many countries with different languages, I'm somewhat ashamed I don't speak anything except Dutch and English. I'm terrible at learning another language, definitely not my game. Numbers are my thing.

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    First of all, i thing the big responsible for this sad state of affairs is marchione..the guy is dumb as a door when it comes to sport...he may be a genius at making profits but he doesn't know **** about f.1. He is Ferrari biggest problem.
    Second they obviously need a top guy at the helm...someone like Brawn is missing to decide strategy...remenber in the Shummy days they would come up with wild gambles ..and it payd off most of teh time....now they screw up 90% of the time.
    Third they really need a leading engineer....they were stupid enough to sack Costa in order to bring all the trash Alonso requested...at least he ****ed himself along with his buddys but cost us 5 years and basicly destroyd the team...so i guess all that money from santander wasn't enough to pay the damadge Alonso made to the team.
    Right noe the team is screwd...and as Bas pointed i'm surprised they had such a good pace at Suzuka. I'm afraid this is like 1991 again..ant that the team will go down the drain....unfortunatly i don't see us chalenging for teh title in the enxt few years, at least not untill someone tells Sergio he's an idiot and that he must stop interfering with the f.1 team.

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    France is not so bad is it? :)

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Why do you wan't to go to the U.K..are you a rain lover?

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well...
    for once: there are no parts of Italy where you are at more than three hours from the sea, whether in some parts of France it can need quite a long drive if you want to go to the sea.
    And then: you might have heard somewhere that a frenchman is "a sad italian"...

Rgds

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #16 DeSoto, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Putting things into perspective, they´re doing a bit better this year than in 2015, but they´ve throwed away many points in silly crashes and bad pit stops. They could be 2nd in the championship ahead of Red Bull. Still far away from Mercedes, but everybody knew that we were not going to catch them this year. Everybody set too high expectations and then got nervous when they didn´t reach them, making things worse.

But the worst problem of the season was the loss of Allison for whatever reason he left, personal or professional, I don´t know nor care. Maybe Binotto is a very wise man, but he lacks experience as technical director and he´ll need some time to catch up, just when a new set of rules is coming. Arrivabene is also relatively a newbie... Too many new names in a time of change.

We´d better get used to the idea that this is going to take some years. No problem, we´re tifosi, we´re not fair weather fans, we can wait.

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Concur. I thought RB was going to roll them, but it still seems like they are fighting. Which is another reason I still have faith in Arrivabene.

18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Nope, that's new to me!!....i live 30 minutes aways from the sea...to bad i don't have a Ferrari to take me there!! :)

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Lived there for 3 years and enjoyed it for the most part. Best humour, many pubs, everyone speaks the same language, fantastic car culture, great roads, many things are properly organized and I can enjoy a good tax advantage.

Downsides are few, weather isn't the greatest, and for some reason they insist on driving on the wrong side of the road.

20. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    LOL!!!!!

I have never actually heard this, but promise to repeat it until people are annoyed with me. Hahahahahaha.

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yep, this is true. The French have kind of a "slight unfair advantage" here with Italian: many words are close alike, and the grammar is not that different, plus many of us from the old generation actually learned some latin at school, and it helps. I'm not saying that "it is a breeze", because no foreign langage is, but if you are committed, Italian is "not too difficult" for a Frenchman to learn: you'll be able to understand quite a few words and follow a conversation rather quickly, which is encouraging and engaging. Same with Spanish. Portugese is more difficult for a Frenchman, Pedro...

Rgds

22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yap..you can get killed by that..just ask Woody Allen!!!!
    Ps: oh..and they have a thing called Lewis Elton!!

23. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Not trying to tease you (there are obviously some exceptions and you seem to be one of them) but from my experience any foreign language is difficult for a frenchman!! :)
    Of course io could say the same about spanish and english......they usualy are unable to speak anything else...and some of them even suck at speaking their own languages!!!

24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    +1

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It has changed somewhat during the last 25 years, the French are now making at least "some efforts", shall we say. In the large cities, it should not be too difficult to find someone that speaks a fairly good English today.
    But it remains true that should you go deep down in rural country, it is better to know at least some "survival French", otherwise your survival is not guaranteed.

Rgds