So, is Mercedes that good? or is Ferrari that complacent? | FerrariChat

So, is Mercedes that good? or is Ferrari that complacent?

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Oct 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Over the past 7 years and longer, we have seen 2 teams dominate the sport of F1…Redbull and Mercedes Benz. Redbull has won 4 consecutive constructors titles (2010-2013) only to fall in 2014 to Mercedes Benz. Mercedes Benz has won two titles in 1954 and 1955 under the driver Juan Manuel Fangio only to protest amid the disaster at the 24 Hours of LeMans in 1955 and dropped out of Formula 1. After its 55-year hiatus, they are back and Mercedes Benz returns to Formula 1 as a constructor in 2010 to win in 2014. In addition to winning 2015 and 2016, they are a juggernaut with one focus in mind…. beat Ferrari….and everything that is F1. They are relentless in their pursuit to diminish the records set by Ferrari since their introduction to F1 in the 1940’s. The king of Formula 1, Ferrari, have won 16 constructors championships and 5 of those titles were won consecutively (2000-2004) by a majority who consider to be “The best Formula 1 driver in its entire history………. period” Michael Schumacher who has amassed 7 world titles. But like the king on top of the hill sitting on his throne…all the while complacent, Ferrari is ever watching and nervous at it sees two climbing up the hill, one climbing and clawing faster than the other; hungry to de-throne the king. 70+ years in the sport and 16 titles? If Ferrari’s 16 F1 titles get tied or broken, it is not because of the brand of the Ferrari name, it is because the teams that represent Ferrari in F1 have set a benchmark for others to break; it is a goal that’s achievable…. attainable…. breakable.

Change is evident in this sport. If there was ever a word in this sport, that word is adaptability and the speed of it. Sure, most of us would like to go back to the days of V-12’s and V-10’s because of the noise factor and speed, but these hybrid engines today and going forward are equaling or besting past lap time records; there is talk of the 2017 car shaving another 2secs…. some analysts say 5secs…. off the 2016 model. Like Darwinism is to the survival of the fittest, in which an organism must adapt to an ever-changing environment to survive, so too is the sport of F1 in who adapts fastest and wins. When it comes to engines, there is a consensus from the Manufacturers that dictate where they see the future(10-20yrs) of this global economy in its vast consumption of oil and gas for more efficient engines to be put into production cars.

1.) If you’re tired of this post…. then do what you always do and sit idly by and do……nothing…. go take selfies with Maurizio A. with a thumbs’ up and smile…. meaning you approve of his dismal performance and says volumes of your expectations. IMO, I am ashamed and disgraced of him and not just him but of past teams as well that have lost and failed. I want to take pictures with a winning and dominant Ferrari team because those are my expectations and nothing short of it.
    2.) If you’re upset, mad, frustrated of this post…good…. you should have been like this a long time ago…. turn all that energy and PASSION towards the team because they are ruining THE BRAND.
    3.) And if you got anything to say towards me…. then I would suggest you say it towards the team when you get your paddock club tickets (spending your hard-earned money) to show your hard-earned LOYALTY towards THE BRAND and voice it to the team.

Never be satisfied when it comes to THE BRAND of Ferrari and expect nothing less of 1st in the constructors…. P1 & P2 ALL DAMN DAY and ALL THE DAMN TIME!!!!….…because second place in the constructors are 1st place losers…and I’m sure Enzo would approve of that mind set…because this is just probably one of many tifosi who is as passionate, loyal, and royal just voicing his expectations to the brand…. which is Ferrari.

Note: this was meant to be inspirational.

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Ummm, well, so... what's your point?

3. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    DeSoto - Do you know what the iditarod is? If so, what do you do if one of the dogs is not pulling his own weight....in other words he/she is lagging behind while the others are pulling theirs plus the "lagging dog"?

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's very well documented here what the issues with Ferrari are.

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Hadn´t heard of those dog races. I suppose cars are enough for me.

I´m not happy with the results of "our" team at this moment, but, to put things in perspective, winning in F1 must not be easy at all, specially when you´re fighting teams with higher budgets and that, at this moment, have stronger political muscle. But as Enzo Ferrari said, real success is not winning a lot but surviving many years: many big teams have fallen and even disappeared, so now it´s time to hang in there. Sooner or later the tide will turn.

In any case, just think that it doesn´t matter if you get angry or not: the guys working at the team are not affected by your mood, for good or bad, so relax and enjoy your poison.

6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    DeSoto - Well let me enlighten you on the “poison” ; the poison is not by me but by the Manufacturer that created it from a long term business strategy. So Ferrari was (past tense) with the FCA(Fiat, Chrysler) Group headed by Sergio Marchionne( Italian and a “numbers man”). The shareholders of this group came to a conclusion to effectively “separate “Ferrari from this group and so Ferrari filed (Project Owl, then Ferrari N.V.) with the SEC beginning in 2015 as a separate company on to its own….it is under the ticker symbol: RACE.

Ferrari’s marketing strategy is “high end, exclusive, limited number and one offs “production cars. They(Ferrari) see this marketing strategy as “limiting profits in the foreseeable future” (it states this in THEIR Prospectus). And they see F1 as their driving force for the brand name and their history of F1 as winning the most championships.

So, if Sergio Marchionne (and shareholders) are the drivers of the sleigh and the dogs being (Fiat, Chrysler, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, and Ferrari) ……why would they leave, or effectively separate, Ferrari from the group to fend for itself? Reason: From a business standpoint, their “marketing strategy” is not making money(lagging) and they are not winning in F1 and the group is not going to keep it going or “afloat.” Now Ferrari F1 does have sponsors….many of them….they NEED them as they cut the cars outer shell into a “ real estate billboard .” ; the bigger the logo of the sponsor on the outer shell, the more you have to pay for that signage. So from a business standpoint, would you spend money(your/shareholders logo) on: a winning team or one that has a history but has shown a consistency of losing and cannot adapt to the current environment quick enough. Look at or google the current Ferrari SF16-H or any Ferrari within the past 7 years and it is literally covered in sponsorship. Now look at a Mercedes Silver Arrow…..who needs the money?
    YOU made mention of this but why do the other guys(Mercedes) have a bigger budget? Because they sell to the masses…. GLOBALLY….in all classes of vehicles and in all price ranges and not just solely to the “ 1 percent-ers.” It’s all about volume from a long-term perspective; And in todays world and going forward volume drives this MONEY HUNGRY BEAST we call F1.

Oh sure, the FCA GROUP owns a huge stake(stock) in Ferrari but when that stock price starts to fall in a drastic measure…they will sell it either in small quantities(still keeping a 51% ownership) or as a whole and someone else has to buy it and keep the company going.
    And its not about political muscle…..thats an excuse……if you can’t stand the heat…..get out of the kitchen. Or, its not about the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of fight in the dog.

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm not sure where the OP was going here, but Ferrari, make more money ( profit ) from F-1 than what goes into it. That much is clear. The revenue streams from FIA, FOM, and sponsorship as well as swag sales see to that.

Ferrari is needed more by F-1 than Ferrari needs F-1 = true its the Selling point for the road cars - all this racing heritage, but in reality, the person buying a new Ferrari is just about as likely to NOT know anything about F-1 racing... as much as a buyer being a real enthusiast. When you cut it apart - Ferrari is the only "luxury exotic" brand in F-1. there was a time when you had Lotus, Porsche, Lamborghini, Maserati, BMW, etc... all competing in F-1, but now is Mercedes, Renault, Honda, Ferrari.... who of those is the "exotic" in the field?

Ferrari is also the emotional link in F-1 ... its the only viable link to its history. for that alone its will stay in f-1 even if FCA goes Belly up. without the history - the Championship becomes worthless... But I do fear that in 20 years - there will not be much of a championship left....

Having lived through massive years of Ferrari disappointment and then hope, and finally triumph, it will take time and they will be back on top again. I'd like to see Vettel win a championship with Ferrari... but if not someone else will...

I've been a Ferrari fan since 1970... I lived through all the Lauda years, then 79, and Villeneuve... then mid 80's when the were the best of the rest, and finally with Prost... it was so close... when the old man died, Ferrari was literally sunk... and it took over a decade to bring it back to winning.... we could be in that same period now.

8. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Hybrid era Mercedes is the most dominant team in F1 history and it's not even close.

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    In the arms race that F1 has become, I cannot help being pessimistic for Ferrari to catch and overtake Mercedes to go back to its former glory.

Mercedes is a huge industrial group not only involved in mass producing cars, but trucks (world leader in that field, I believe), also involved in the aircraft industry (Airbus), the defence industry, and various other industrial ventures. Mercedes is thriving in Germany and has no cloud on the horizon like VAG (Volkswagen Group) has with the diesel gate and the threat of multi millions $ compensation to pay. You must have noticed that AUDI is out the WEC, and VW itself off the WRC. That says a lot.

Compared to this, Ferrari has gone back to be an isolated small constructor, with a limited engineering pool of talents. But even then, the FCA group is shrinking itself, and won't bring much technical or engineering support to Ferrari in his F1 endeavour. The pessimist in me predict that FIAT will not exist in 15 years time. Really, joining 2 ailing companies was hardly recipe for success; Chrysler has been on life support for years, and FIAT's footprint has been slowing decreasing.

F1 being what it is now, an engineering contest between industrial giants fuelled by unlimited budget, only the main players can expect to get to the top, and even then.
    I can only see Mercedes, Renault/Nissan, Toyota or Honda maybe, possibly Hyundai/KIA in future, enjoying enough resources to maintain a campaign in F1. All these companies are heavily engaged in research and new technologies, leaving Maranello far behind.

Ferrari will become like the "garagists" at the mercy of sponsors to stay in F1; no better than Williams, Sauber, Manor and else ... Ferrari is even at a disadvantage compared to those, because it's supposed to do its own power unit, where others can lease theirs from the dominant suppliers.
    Ferrari will always be fighting alone; that's its destiny. But Williams, McLaren, Manor, Force India and others can have any engine at the back of their cars, choosing the best available.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I have to say that when Enzo Ferrari passed away, the spirit went out of the company and the team, and Ferrari became like any other outfit for me.

Ferrari was one of the few men I admired, and he gave a sense of "exceptionalism" to the Scuderia.

11. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Spirot and William - I was 10yrs old in 1977 when I got involved in F1......I too felt the same way in 88 when he died......only to see his spirit honored again by Schumi....I was there in 2012 at COTA when Schumi was racing with Mercedes and retired that same year.....

12. I guess I am losing my memory...I don't recollect F1 in the 40s...I thought it started in 1950.... :confused:

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end...."

lorenzobandini

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The World Drivers Championship started in 1950, and you are correct on that account.

But F1 resurrected in 1947 after the war period, I believe.

14. I thought it was "Grand Prix" racing previously, and that "Formula One's" inception was 1950... :shrug:

15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    William - yes you are correct about the resurrection after the war.

I like the forethought of Hyundai/kia possibly being in the mix in F1....they make cars, trucks, MEGASHIPS (they crank one out every 18 months.....the payroll and logistics and speed) and lets not forget vehicles.

16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I meant to say construction vehicles at the end

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    So, that makes me 20 older than you.

I attended my first Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps in 1961.
    Phil Hill won, and became my instant hero. Ferrari was my favourite team for a long time.
    The Scuderia was racing in F1 and endurance then.

For me, the Schumacher era was completely different from the 60s and 70s.
    I must say that I started to lose interest in Ferrari when it left sports car racing.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ferrari is that bad. They barely compete with Red Bull

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

From Wikipedia:

"The Formula One series originated with the European Grand Prix Motor Racing (q.v. for pre-1947 history) of the 1920s and 1930s. The formula is a set of rules which all participants' cars must meet. Formula One was a new formula agreed upon after World War II during 1946, with the first non-championship races being held that year. A number of Grand Prix racing organisations had laid out rules for a world championship before the war, but due to the suspension of racing during the conflict, the World Drivers' Championship was not formalised until 1947. "

20. ....ala Lotus....:(

(my favorite team always.....mit Colin) ;)

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

lorenzobandini

21. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Ferrari's F1 program won't improve until it effects their bottom line. Their only interest at the moment is to put money in Fiat and Abu Dhabi's pockets. Both the race cars and street cars are suffering.

22. Did you conveniently cut your quote where you did? Hmmmm??? :p

As per Paul Harvey (rip, some of us know), "Now, the rest of the story...."

"History[edit]

Main article: History of Formula One

The Formula One series originated with the European Grand Prix Motor Racing (q.v. for pre-1947 history) of the 1920s and 1930s. The formula is a set of rules which all participants' cars must meet. Formula One was a new formula agreed upon after World War II during 1946, with the first non-championship races being held that year. A number of Grand Prix racing organisations had laid out rules for a world championship before the war, but due to the suspension of racing during the conflict, the World Drivers' Championship was not formalised until 1947. The first world championship race was held at Silverstone, United Kingdom in 1950. A championship for constructors followed in 1958. National championships existed in South Africa and the UK in the 1960s and 1970s. Non-championship Formula One events were held for many years, but due to the increasing cost of competition, the last of these occurred in 1983.[8]"

Semantics, I guess, more than anything. I'm twixt the two of you in age (born 1954) :)

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

lorenzobandini

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    No, but I tried to keep it short.

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not bad, considering that Red Bull is pretty much the best team in F1. Very well organized, wise people running things. If they didn't have such a **** engine, they'd have fought Mercedes tooth and nail this year.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The Renault engine isn't such a bad engine.

It has allowed Red Bull to pocket 5 wins since the beginning of the hybrid era, and there is no other unit that can say that bar the dominant Mercedes.

In any case, what's the alternative for Red Bull?