Sebastian & Kimi in F1 Cars @ Daytona? | FerrariChat

Sebastian & Kimi in F1 Cars @ Daytona?

Discussion in 'F1' started by David Lind, Nov 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    In conjunction with the Ferrari meet at Daytona (1st weekend in December), is it true that the Ferrari F1 drivers will lap Daytona International Speedway in recent Grand Prix cars? This will be, supposedly, a waiver of their long-standing rule that NO Indy or F1 cars are ever allowed to do so.
    Can't remember where I saw this but wanted to know the legitimacy of the rumor.
    Thanks!

2. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
  3. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    NASCAR says it's waaaaaay too fast on the banking ... tires will explode, mayhem will ensue, etc. The banking is much higher than even Indy cars run on, so it probably will be much more lateral loading than F1 has seen in the last forever.

4. Doug3

Doug3 Karting

Dec 20, 2012
    With the right gearing I could see an F1 car turning laps @ 250 mph on the banked oval.

5. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hope they televise it!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

6. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    It's the road course and not the oval in its entirety.

7. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    It's enough of the oval....

8. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    This is legit, I am president of the Scuderia Ferrari Club of Denver, both Seb and Kimi will be there. If you want a copy of the schedule email me at [email protected]

9. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    There was another thread on here that they tested an F1 car there a while back to ensure the tires could handle loads.

10. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Mark,
    I will see You there.
    I am going with Mike, our fearless leader from the Scuderia Club of Phladelphia

11. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    I'll be there as well, can't wait!

12. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    The banking should reduce lateral loads from the typical 4Gs by quite a bit, and aero reductions the vertical load. All in all, it should be easier on the tires at that track than most other F1 circuits IMO... at up to the speeds F1 cars typically reach (around 220 mph). At higher speeds, who knows. But I'd bet cash money that won't be the case. We'll see:). It'd be nice to know more details. Hopefully they'll use NA cars, and make the video available to the masses.

13. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    they are planning on running ALL the cars at Daytona. As is typical with Finali Mondiali, they try and get everything on track....

Daytona, compared to every prior venue, does present challenges due to the absolute sustained top speeds and the loading from the banking.

For the F1 cars, there is the F1 Clienti program (older cars), the current F1 drivers will be in a 2014 spec car, if only because F1 testing bans prevent them using a current generation car.

As for Daytona, I'm sure many here have driven on the road course. Let's just say it's fast, bumpy and really works the outside tires hard with vertical loads and rotational loads.

In 2016, when we raced there, between the test day (ROAR) and the race weekend, we had 29 (yes, twenty nine) right rear tire failures, most of them catastrophic. A few cars hit the wall, the real damage was what the tires did to the cars.... We had probably 15+ the year prior, on the spec Pirelli DH tires. It's unreal what a catastrophic tire failure will do to a car.... my teammate had his entire wiring harness and ECU package torn out, entire corners of the car thrashed...

Reasons? of course, it's NEVER the tire.....teams running too low pressures, too aggressive camber, too much rear downforce....they did introduce a new construction for the race, and have just brought in yet another new tire. Ride heights, minimum pressures, wing angles all dictated....but it happens. Most of the failures were right around Vmax, coming into the tri-oval section.

As you'd imagine, going on the banking at 185-190mph (in Evo spec), small bumps become big, to the extent there is any underbody/diffuser downforce, when you almost bottom it stalls the diffuser, and the rear wing is there more as a parachute than to create downforce...

I believe they have done some testing to make sure that the tires for all the cars will hold up (F1, XX), but we will see. I'd imagine that in the case of the F1 cars, they will trim the aero out to manage the vertical loads, and even modulate speeds, though I think they want to try and set a record....

Again, those who have driven and raced at Daytona can attest, when you're flat from T6 to the bus stop, and from there flat all the way around to turn 1, you are flat and moving; pre-Evo we would hit 194. You can feel the effects of the wind; you can also feel the turbulence from other cars; it's pretty awesome.

14. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Entropy, that's a very interesting perspective. What kind of car(s) did you race? Not sure what an "Evo" is ...

15. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Anyone get to meet the drivers at Daytona? How were they?