Will Ron Dennis be a motor-racing Legend? | FerrariChat

Will Ron Dennis be a motor-racing Legend?

Discussion in 'F1' started by 4rePhill, Nov 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will Ron Dennis be a motor-racing Legend?

1. No - He's not done enough to be a Legend

2. Yes - He will be remembered as a Legend

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    #1 4rePhill, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    It seems that Ron Dennis' days in charge of McLaren a seriously numbered, and another member who contributes to the F1 section has made a claim that one day, Ron Dennis will be recognised as a legend of the motor-racing World, in the same way that Enzo Ferrari and Colin Chapman have become legends.

I have argued that, despite all Ron Dennis has achieved with McLaren, he will never be a legend, as he didn't create a team from nothing as Ferrari and Chapman did, but instead took over a team that was already successful, and he didn't really change F1 and motor-racing the way Ferrari and Chapman did.

Now we're not going to see eye to eye on this one, but it has got me curious as to how many others on FChat think that Ron Dennis will achieve a "Legend", so I have decided to run a poll.

The question is simply: "Will Ron Dennis be a motor racing legend?"

The answers are just as simple:

No - He's not done enough to be a Legend
    Yes - He will be remembered as a legend

My vote should be obvious! :)

2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I voted against..just because i don't like him :)

3. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    #3 4rePhill, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    He already is, has been for a while. Along with Enzo, Chapman, Williams, Brawn etc.

5. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    It's an interesting question but to want change or influence in the way that Chapman and Enzo did might be a bit unfair. They were in on the pioneering days and that's just not going to happen any longer in this particular league of racing. I think he had a big impact when compared to his peers but Newey will always be the modern legend.

Will be interesting to see who comes after the current old guard.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #6 william, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Ron Dennis has been the stalwart leader of the second oldest team left in F1, and more success has been accumulated under his guidance than by any other team principal.

When Enzo Ferrari was alive (he died in 1988), the Scuderia won 9 drivers championships and 5 constructors titles.

Since 1980 when Ron Dennis took over, McLaren has won 10 drivers championships and 7 constructors titles.

7. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Que Phil to come and pour some Haterade on William.

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    He will be remembered as the guy who' discovered 'Lewis ....If Lewis achieves legendary status then maybe uncle Ron might too ...bit too early to tell i think.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

What about Lauda, Prost, Senna and Hakkinen, recruited by Ron Dennis at McLaren then?

They shared 9 WDCs among them !!! Does that count for nothing ?

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Ron didn't discover the talents of any of the drivers you listed unlike Lewis, but yes he did hire them :)

BTW Teddy Mayer hired Prost for McLaren in 1980 ... his first F1 team but after one season he moved to Renault.
    Pete

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Hamilton got only 1 WDC when at McLaren, but gave Ron Dennis plenty of headaches!

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    100% true and personally speaking was his undoing, as it was Ron's inability to control Lewis that lead to the disastrous 2007 season, where Alonso was a shoe in for WDC. Please all, lets not return to arguing who was better.

I still struggle with how Lewis told him to go swivel after all the stories I've heard about how Ron Dennis funded his motorsport from the karting days up to F1. That would have cost a fortune and not at all the respect he deserved.
    Pete

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #14 DeSoto, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    He will be remembered.

A legend? I´m not sure. No matter how much he has won, I think modern F1 can´t produce legends anymore, just "famous people". He´s not in the same league as Enzo Ferrari or Colin Chapman, first because he was not the founder of McLaren and second, because those lived in the days when motorsport was a dangerous adventure.

Yet, everybody is talking about Dennis as if he was already dead and buried. Maybe we should wait a little more, just in case.

15. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Would you include Brawn and Newey into the category of 'just famous people'?

They have left such an unmistakable mark on the last two decades of F1, Brawn even having his own team in the maiden year score the WDC.
    I think that's legendary stuff.

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    To me, Ron Dennis deserves to be called a motor racing legend together like Enzo Ferrari and Colin Chapman, just as much as John Cooper, Roger Penske, or Jim Hall.
    These people all have managed racing teams very successfully and created sporting history.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You can add Gordon Murray to that list. And a few others, I am sure.

18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I think modern motorsport is too "corporative" to talk about "legends".

But time will tell.

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That would be my perspective too. I never was a great fan of "Ron the human being" (for what I can see or know of him through the medias...) and I still have trouble to swallow Martin Whitmarsh ousting, for instance, but I do give him credit for having established a great team. But a "legend", I guess the word does not exactly fit. And he lacks the charsima, romantic madness, etc...than one would associate with "legends" in that sport.

Rgds

20. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I said yes. I believe he's the first to implement modern management in F1, back in the 70s and 80s.

21. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    +1

Not sure I like him, not even sure what to think of him, but I don't think anyone could argue with the above.

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    John Barnard

Pete

23. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I think the recent problems with the pirating of other makes software and such have tarnished his image.

24. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    I would definitely consider him as an F1 legend, along with the few others mentioned above - he played a very important part in my memories.

Read that McLaren got their first victory after 3/4 years in the early 80's under his leadership - their last win was with Hunt - so it wasn't like he took over a winning team.

Hakkinen /Schuey, Prost / Senna etc he was part of our history despite being our nemesis.

Not bad for a former mechanic.

Best,
    Sammy

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Remember that, as a mechanic, and if my memory serves me well, Ron Dennis was the one who forget to put that last gallon of petrol in Jack Brabham's BT33 at the british Grand Prix in 1970, costing Black Jack the victory by petrol starvation...

Rgds