The Latest from Ecclestone: 2-race format! ! | FerrariChat

The Latest from Ecclestone: 2-race format! !

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Nov 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  2. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hey Bernie, just go with dirt track format. Two heats, top half in each heat move on to the A final, bottom half move onto the B final. Make it even more exciting by adding nerf bars so that passing can be more easily initiated by following cars. Two heats, two finals, some bumping, banging and the use of the chrome horn...you've got yourself an afternoon or evening full of entertainment.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    In the 20s, GPs lasted up to 6 hours.

In the 30s, GP were up to 4 hours long.

In the 50s, that was brought down to 3 hours max.

Later it became 2 hours max because of TV.

In fact, GPs now last something like 80 minutes .

The element of endurance (for the driver and the car) has disappeared from F1.

GPs are now just sprint races, so the idea of having 2 sprint races in one weekend isn't so stupid, IMO.

I don't know if it will catch on, or even be attempted; it's too radical for some, I guess.
    Personally, I like the idea of a several races format for a meeting. It works well in GT and Touring cars, and in GP2 too.

Let's face it, it's only the start, the first few laps, and the 10 last laps that are really interesting in a GP. The rest is more or less a procession. With several shorter races, there should be more action.

With a declining audience (as some say), F1 should try anything to keep the spectators interested.

4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    What a good idea!!

I love sprint races; there is never a dull moment!

5. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Especially if they run different configurations at the same track (those that have multiple configurations).

6. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I see more contact in F1 than top level dirt drivers.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Imho this is the first good idea Bernie has had in a long time. I was thinking the same a week ago when the race was almost called off and everybody on the stands was booing. In the end we got almost three consecutive races like in the BTCC and I had something to watch for a much longer time. I genuinely think it's a good idea.

8. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I think it is a great idea. Looking forward to CHANGE.

Robb

9. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I *know* its change NASCAR needs to make. They at least need to pull their "chase" drivers into their own heat for extra points. This 4 cars with another 36 that do not count does not for good racing make.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #10 TheMayor, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Bernie appears to not be aware of the DVR fast forward button.

But then they introduced Video Tape when he was 70.

The reason ratings are down is because the same people win every race. There's absolutely no drama unless we pray for rain or there's that "once a season" mechanical breakdown. The guy on pole or the person next to them generally run away from the race. People farther back have a more difficult path to win -- but its still possible under only the rarest of circumstances.

What would be more interesting is a lottery of the grid order in 3 groups. The incentive for pole position would be reflected in the points. So, there would be an incentive to reach pole position BUT you may actually have to start 3 rows back. At least it would mix up the field and give us more passing.

IMO, bring back engine blow ups. People love that stuff. What drama! Stop penalizing people who push the mechanical envelope. Cars today are actually TOO reliable. It's about the show. F1 has forgotten that.

I ask you this: Would NASCAR be as popular if there were no engine blowups and massive smoking crashes in every race? I don't think so. Add that to many lead changes and different people winning every race and you can find a reason to watch each weekend -- 32 times a year! Underdogs can win in Nascar. That never happens in today's F1.

"Oh look! Sauber got it's first point of the season!"

whoopee...

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The reason rating are down is because the same people win every race.
    The reason the same people win every race is because they have the best car.
    The reason they have the best car is because there is so little test development.
    The reason there is so little test development is because they want to keep the costs down.

Did id ever occur to anyone that nothing anyone says about F1 is actually TRUE?

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree but its actually worse than that now. After the first 3 races you can guess within a 90% certainty who will win both championships. By half way through the season it's already over. The lack of testing and silly "tokens" just freeze everyone where they are.

When you compound that with boring tracks with no personality and a lack of mechanical breakdown drama you get MALAISE.

13. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    F1 should fix they underlying issues that have been discussed here ad nauseam. The last thing we need is two processions with with an intermediate for advertising and "interviews"

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Why have the race at all?

Just have Justin Beiber and a few other celebrities do their stuff. Bernie killed off the race years ago thanks to his meddling and deliberately tried to make F1 events a thing for the rich and famous to be seen at.

Bernie, Motorsport has never needed you and does most certainly not need you now. Please go away. You have your billions, that you sncked out of the sport without putting a single cent back into it. Thanks for nothing!
    Pete

15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    40 minutes for interviews ? ..after the first 'race' they have to do debrief with the team ...then visit the motor home to recover from the excitement ...then into the rest room to freshen up ..maybe a spot of massage...maybe a quick energy snack..then chat with the gf/ a.n other...then get prepped up with the strategy for the next 'race' etc etc..

Can just see it now 'where the $$$$ is Kimi??'

16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    just shut up you goblin!! this guy is worth thaen the monster that refuses to die!!! Get a life bernie and leave f.1 alone!!

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't think it's really necessary but it wouldn't be the end of the world...in fact I bet we'd see more attempted overtaking.

The sprint races in GP2 are always fantastic, with the reverse grid. Top 8 finishing order from the feature race is reversed, so the winning driver starts 8th. This makes the battle not only in the sprint race entertaining with the fastest driver trying to come back through the field, but during the feature race, the battle for 8th is hugely entertaining. Becoming 9th sucks. Instead of collecting a point but starting on pole, you're now with no points and you start 9th! It's excellent and great excitement.

People here (and everywhere) are always quick to blame Bernie but forget he doesn't actually make the rules, and is against plenty that get dreamed up.

18. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    #18 ypsilon, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    No,

obvious but touring car racing is a different formula, with stricter regulations, weight penalty's, much less aero etc; it's build around the idea of very close, wheel to wheel, body work to body work racing.

and short races will kill the strategy part of F1 as well.

F1's biggest problem currently is the Mercedes dominance, aka the engine formula.

The core values of F1 have always been the same, why should that suddenly change.....

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Engine noise is a huge problem IMO, at the track even with ''loud spec'' as they tried to do for this year it's just not impressive.

A far easier fix though is limit front and rear wing development i.e. make it far less complicated. No elements, just adjust gurney flap that's it. Cars will be able to follow and attempt overtakes. Now cars can only follow for a few laps, hoping the other makes a mistake and can be punished...after this the tires fall off and a 1.5s+ gap exists, so even if they guy in front makes a (small) mistake he can't be punished for it. We are now back full circle with the refeuling phase when people used strategy to try and jump another driver they couldn't overtake, pit early, get undercut and go for it.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You are wrong here; the core values of F1 have dramatically changed.

Before, F1 was a competition to determine each year, who was the best driver.

Now, it's an technological contest between engineering firms fuelled by multi millions £ budgets. The human element has been reduced in F1.

From being a sport, F1 has become a business, an industry.

From a driving competition, F1 has now become an entertainment.

People are not interested in selecting the best driver, but in seeing action on the track.

If a couple of drivers or a few cars dominate, the public don't like it. They want artificial elements such a tactics, pit stops, tyre strategy to spice the show.

The public isn't interested in driving ethics, or sportsmanship anymore; now contacts, audacious overtaking and aggressive defending of position are encouraged. That's what the pundits like to watch.

Just like show business, F1 rewards well its best stars and spit out those who don't deliver according to the public taste.

Now, you tell me the core values haven't changed?

21. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    In the grand scheme of things it really didn't IMO. The values developed but are essentially the same.

Technology and development always been at the forefront of F1. Yes it accelerated massively these past two to three decades. But so did motorsport and the car industry in general.

F1 is still the highest form of motorsport, yes it developed into multi-billion $ (entertainment)industry, but so did every other major sport.

The multi brand formulas of motorsport have always been an unfair form of competition, having access to the best material was and is essential, whether it's a Silver arrow of the 30's or one in 2016. But equally also part of the appeal, F1 delivered some great developments, accompanied rivalries and stories over the years.

But personally I hate the to see it being shaped into an Americanized, commercially convenient, fast food type of formula easily chewable and understood by the attention span lacking masses.

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Both Nico and Hamilton has shown they can start dead last and end up 2nd (only to their teammates as 1st). This is the dominating car of the era. No horseplay of grid positions is going to change it.

But unlimited testing would!.

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes but what's your point exactly? We're not doing 2 race formats with these cars...

24. F430 F1 Singapore

Mar 4, 2016
    Singapore
    To be fair, I don't think it's even humanly possible to endure the g-forces generated in modern F1 for 6 hours. So I think the shortening of the races is quite understandable. There are always endurance series for the lower spec cars, and the modern cars that run Le Mans still pull much higher g's than any GP car of the '20s era. So that's very impressive (even if there are limits on the "shifts" a driver can go on for in 24h LM, which shows how fatiguing racing can be at a top level).

I agree with a lot of your other points, though.