This is a bit drastic ! | FerrariChat

This is a bit drastic !

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Nov 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Ferrari call off traditional F1 team Christmas lunch

Ferrari call off traditional F1 team Christmas lunch

Ferrari may have cancelled its traditional F1 team Christmas lunch.
    That is the claim of the well-connected Ferrari media insider Leo Turrini, citing the information of ‘friends’ from within the great Maranello team.
    The decision was made because “there is nothing to celebrate”, Turrini wrote on his Quotidiano blog.
    However, he said team president Sergio Marchionne, who is currently “very present” at Maranello, could change his mind so that the mechanics and engineers can mark the festive period in another way.
    “This small episode is perhaps an indicator of sentiment,” said Turrini.
    Ferrari began 2016 targeting the championship, but instead will even finish behind Red Bull in third place.
    “Now let’s focus on Abu Dhabi,” said team boss Maurizio Arrivabene. “It’s the last race of the season but, as we always say, we’re not giving up until the end.”

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Uncle Sweater will leave quite a legacy with his involvement in the F1 team. A legacy marked by smoldering ashes...

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Indeed

My sources indicate worse might come

4. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    #4 kingjr9000, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yes. Needless to say I hope these are just totally unfounded rumors.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    How to demotivate your team even more. Just wow.

I feel bad for everyone involved, even the ones collecting 50 and 15 million.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My understanding was that this event was the highlight of the year for the team and their families.

Mr. Sweater the accountant doesn't think it's worth it.

8. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    This guy is a real pair of tap dancing clown shoes. When morale is low, a leader is supposed to raise it, not stomp it even further down into the mud.

9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    To not have a food and drink celebration in Italy with Italians? This can't be real. Italians celebrate with food and drink if the sun comes up.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    bingo

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Another reason to celebrate this guy's removal.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly.

13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    If this is true, expect mass demotivation, and the rapid fall down the order next year again. What a tool marchionne is, someone like him should never be placed in a position of power within a company like ferrari, there is more passion in my little finger than this pillock has in his entire family. What a tool

14. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    #14 kingjr9000, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hahahahah...sigh. I don't know if i should be surprised or saddened. I mean, he did mention it earlier, but then again, I've always advocated for WEC over F1 anyway, so if he chooses to destroy F1 sooner or later and jump ship over to F;E, I won't know what to feel.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Heh, no need to crap on his family. He's the tool, they are just related.
    Pete

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Well, seriously, if you are a Ferrari F-1 employee and the loss of a lunch is a demotivating factor ... it is time to look for other employment.

I think the message is this: Either you are here to win, and will do what it takes when it demands it, to win with Ferrari...or you are here for the "Prestige" of working for Ferrari... they need more of the former and less of the latter.

is F-1 Hard? yes

is Ferrari a special team ? yes

is everyone at Ferrari 100% dedicated to the team ? No.

what is the difference? Money.

separate those who are there for the prestige and pay check, and get the guys who want to win at all cost... that is how Ferrari will get to the top. Marchionne is putting down the gauntlet and you either make it or not....

I'd gladly work for the team ...lunch or no lunch.

17. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It sends the message that morale is irrelevant, which is a rather infantile and ineffective form of management.

Clown Shoes wonders why they aren't winning.

18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    This.

The measure is indeed drastic, but if someone at the F1 team gets affected by this then he's not good enough to be in the F1 team. Anyway, if someone needs a Christmas dinner, he can make a reservation at any restaurant and have a dinner paid by himself, like the employees of 99% of the companies in the world do.

I'd prefer that the money they were going to spend in that party is spent in next year's car.

19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Uncle Sweater is pressing the team to arguably impossible measures. The fact is he lost one of THE MOST talented designers in all of F1 because of his incompetent and just simply ridiculous management (if it can be called that). Furthermore is he even known for anything other than COOKING THE BOOKS??!?!?!

20. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    His fate is directly in the hands of Lapo and John Elkann. Sweater Man is their (i.e. Exor's) hired gun.

21. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    So next time the Christmas Lunch will be cancelled because they were shown up by Audi instead of Mercedes...

22. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Clear reason why this dumbass is no leader at all. I wonder...how the heck did he even come in as the President and CEO? Did anyone vote him in or anything?

This guy is bad news to the team, and i don't see anything improving racing wise. Last season was full of smiles, but this season is full of crap. And sweater is not doing anything to make things better.

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The money saved is a drop in the ocean. What they gain with it is minimal vs the motivation they lose by publicly cancelling the lunch. It's like he standing on the rooftops shouting his team sucks, they don't deserve anything, and he hands out fliers and calling up newspapers saying the same thing. If he is so thick that you can't just clap your hands and 'boom', your car is fixed...it's just confirming what we all know that he's completely the wrong man for the job. He's an accountant without passion, and passion is a HUGE part of Ferrari. A great accountant he may be, but that doesn't mean he'll be good for Ferrari.

If he caught guys not turning up for work, not caring for results or whatever...by all means, at least cancel their lunch. But you can't turn up as the new guy and cancel it because the team hasn't been turned around in a drastic year when the lead designer's wife died, meaning he didn't work on the car since the first race! So we lost 2nd in the WCC to Red Bull, a team with the STRONGEST design team there is, even though we didn't have one all season? Ferrari should be proud of themselves considering.

Catching Mercedes was too big a task, with the way the rules are written and no lead designer. Don't take your frustrations out on the people for things that are out of their hands.

24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I'm sorry to say this, but while this imbecil is at Ferrari, we won't win again.

25. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    " The beatings will continue until moral improves"