Mercedes was prepared for Hamilton | FerrariChat

Mercedes was prepared for Hamilton

Discussion in 'F1' started by maulaf, Nov 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Mercedes did prepare for Hamilton going against his own team in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Rennanalyse GP Abu Dhabi 2016: Frühere Boxenstopps wegen Bummeltempo - AUTO MOTOR UND SPORT

Prior to the race Hamilton was threatened that they'd bring Rosberg in first for the pit stops, should he not sufficiently keep his pace. They called Hamilton in 5 laps earlier than planned for the first stop to avoid an undercut of others as a consequence of Hamilton bunching up the field. They called in Rosberg at the same time to come in, should Hamilton decide to defy team orders. When Hamilton came in, Rosberg waited to come in the following lap.

Astonishing that a team has to go to such length to plan against their own.

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Well the rumors of his departure mount now LOL - Amazing if true. I have my doubts but in a technical sense he is in breach and faces sanction in terms of his contract.

Lewis Hamilton reportedly facing the sack or suspension over his Abu Dhabi GP rebellion | F1 News

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Give it a couple of weeks and it will quieten down and they will start focusing on next year.

The team were naive if they think that a driver with a chance, no matter how slim, of winning the WDC would not try to do so. That is all Lewis tried to do.

Pete

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Can't imagine they would sack him. This year it would appear Rosberg is indeed the best F1 driver though it is way more complicated than that. However it would certainly mix it up next season if LH was driving for another team :). Which is a good thing.

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I think that makes sense but more bad news came out in the press about him threatening to sit out after Spain incident. How much does the team need to accomodate an adult at this point....

6. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    After watching Hamilton (once again) completely avoid his teammate in the post race lounge it solidified my assessment that he is nothing but ******.

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Hamilton has proven time and time again he needs to be managed constantly. More trouble than he's worth IMO.

If they kick him out, give Sainz, Perez or Hulkenberg his seat. Problem solved.

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    If only that could happen.

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yap....just drop crapilton!!

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've got my doubts a little, too. Hamilton initially backing out the 2016 season with an actual championship on the line though...if he was willing to do that, because he got blamed by Lauda for a crash, what's to say he won't do it again?

I think Hamilton has simply proven he's not worth his trouble. Of the drivers I mentioned I think Sainz in particular could be a huge asset to Mercedes. He's done some great things with the Toro Rosso this year and worthy of a decent car. Best thing, they can get him for very cheap. Easily 1/10th the cost of Hamilton, if not 1/20th! He's far more easy going, not a prima-donna and will be grateful for the car he's received. He'll be motivated fighting Verstappen and Red Bull next year. He's well liked world wide, even though he's very much in the shadows compared to any driver from the top 3 teams.

It's a no brainer, if you ask me.

11. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Bas, while I agree with you re Sainz ability, any big team signs the driver not just for his skill but also for their fanbase and marketing etc. The have actuaries calculate what that particular driver's advertising worth is to the company the sale as they calculate the advertising worth of a Monaco win etc. Would be nice if it were pure ability but it's just not.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I agree there.

I know I'm simplyfying it here, but would Hamilton really sell 45m worth of Mercedes more than Sainz? Lets say Mercedes hires Sainz, and Sainz wins in one of the opening races (in particular Spain). That'd be huge I reckon.

Ferrari hired Massa, he was pretty unknown as a back marker from Sauber and spend a year at Ferrari not racing. Mclaren hired a baby faced Kimi in trade of their World Champion...after all he only had 1 season in F1.

13. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I hope they can his whiney ass.
    Let's see how great he is in less than a far superior car.
    Congrats to Nico, mostly for pissing off LH, the only driver he needed to beat anyway.

14. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    nothing will happen, merc will say they accept his explanation they understand blablabla

15. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Hamilton is an idiot. So is Verstappen. I'm no Rosberg fan either, but at least he kept his cool and was honest even in the interviews afterwards, I'm happy for him.

I'm sorry, but if a racer is going to slow down his teammate to try and win, then the teammate should ram both of them out of the race a la Senna / Prost.

It's a whiny beeotch thing to do, so turnabout is fair play. I never heard of such a thing - strategy my ass, it's not what racers do.

F1 paddock is full of whiny beeotches IMHO.

16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I agree. Ram him! (But make sure you take LH out or else BYE BYE championship)!

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Pretty sad when your own team expects you to be a pillock.....

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    LH need them way more then the other way around. MB could have their pick of anyone to fill his seat. SV, FA..the list goes on.

19. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Exacto. Don't bite the hand delivering the most dominant racing cars in the history of the sport.

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Keep him under contract, and use him as a reserve driver.

21. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    For this reason the WDC should have an * next to it. It was a foregone conclusion early in the season that one of the two would be WDC. Criticizing one driver (or the other :rolleyes:) for using tactics which an independent team would use in this situation is disingenuous.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Are you 2 forgetting 1997 WDC?

23. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Maybe we'll all luck out and Elton will put his money where his gigantic ego is and leave to be the rap star he thinks he can be.

24. gated_shifter

gated_shifter Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    +1

25. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    "D.J. D-Nozzle"