Team predictions for 2017 season | FerrariChat

Team predictions for 2017 season

Discussion in 'F1' started by F2003-GA, Dec 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    My guess is Mercedes domination will end
    McLaren will improve and Red Bull will win 5 or more GP's

2. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    I bet on McLaren. Knowing the Japanese, they'll want to see their Honda engine conquer. These Japanese are the silent workers....
    Nobody seems to trust Ferrari is gonna be supreme, that's how deep we've sunk!

3. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    A great deal of people said that at the end of 2014 :)
    I also expect McLaren to be somewhere in the top four.

I think RBR will be the team to beat. And it will be hugely exciting to have Ricci and Max up there.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ferrari won't compete because structurally it's in shambles. We didn't have a lead designer all year due to his wife dying, and the new one that replaced him is an engine designer!

Mclaren realistically should jump up from 6th, presumably ending 4th next year. Perhaps a podium is on the cards...

My bet:

Red Bull
    Mercedes
    Ferrari
    Mclaren
    Force India
    Williams
    Toro Rosso
    Renault
    Haas
    Sauber
    Manor

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I do hope someone knocks Merc of it's perch But with such a big gap
    I feel it won't happen earlier than 2018 and by then it'll be either RB or McLaren

6. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Isn't STR returning to Renault? They had two tremendously good cars in 2015 and 2016.I think you might underestimate them. FI will see a tough year. I have no idea what Williams is up to. If they follow tradition, they will slip back further. If they did what I hope they might stir up the rear end of the front pack.

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Good point that, and I have to be honest...I completely forgot they got the Renault engine again!

I think they'll have a good fight with Mclaren in that case, and actually finish ahead of them (just).

Revised list:

Red Bull
    Mercedes
    Ferrari
    Mclaren
    Toro Rosso
    Force India
    Williams
    Renault
    Haas
    Sauber
    Manor

It feels weird putting Williams so low on the list, but Force India continues to punch above it's weight as they have done for the past 6 years or so...

8. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    My List :)

Merc/Red Bull
    Ferrari/McLaren
    Williams/Renault
    Toro/Force India

9. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Hmmm, they had some financial difficulties in 2015. Couldn't test much least year because of it. But it's quite remarkable how well they're doing.

I still think Williams is better equipped to deal with the new regulations.

10. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    My prediction:

RedBull
    Mercedes
    Ferrari
    McLaren
    Williams
    Force India
    Renault
    Haas
    Sauber
    Manor

11. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    DECEMBER 20, 2016

Marchionne not predicting 2017 title

Sergio Marchionne says he has learned his lesson and will no longer be making any bold predictions for 2017.

This year, many commentators said Ferrari was in obvious 'crisis' after the new Ferrari president targeted wins and the title but ultimately finished behind both Mercedes and Red Bull.

"Do not expect proclamations," Marchionne said at Ferrari's Christmas media lunch on Monday.

"Last time I was careless but now I only ask for us to do better than 2016, which does not seem difficult."

But he admits Ferrari will need to do well to hang onto its champion drivers Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen, who each might have been a candidate to replace Nico Rosberg at Mercedes if not for their contracts.

"I saw Raikkonen at his best ever, but I don't know if he wants to go beyond 2017," said Marchionne.

"I have not talked about extending the contract with Vettel because it's too early; first he must be comfortable with the car next year," he added.

"Vettel and Mercedes? (Niki) Lauda talks to everyone but in 2017, Seb is with us. I have to give stability to the team but we have to give those who drive for us a great car.

"We'll keep an eye on availability of other drivers from 2018," said Marchionne. "With Seb we have to give him a winning car, otherwise it's useless to discuss the future. He wants to win with us, we know that.

"In return he has to drive with confidence, with more calm and less agitation. Thinking of winning on the track, not engaging in personal battles."

Marchionne also said an F1 foray for Alfa Romeo remains on the cards, which "could become an outlet for our young drivers".

But before those juniors can be boosted into F1 with Alfa, "the brand has to make money with the Giulia and Stelvio (road cars)".

One such junior is 2016 GP2 star and Italian Antonio Giovinazzi, who will be Ferrari's official reserve next year.

But another Ferrari recruit will not be Mercedes technical boss Paddy Lowe, although Marchionne admits there were talks.

"We were not trying to get him," he said. "There were proposals, but they were not part of our technical development plans. We have an established team and will not change it.

"If we continue to not win, the fault will be mine," said Marchionne.

Finally, Marchionne was asked about new F1 owner Liberty Media's reported plans for a budget cap, saying that while it is "a noble principle", it is "not typical of F1".

"But I think Liberty understands the business in a different way than Bernie (Ecclestone). With all respect for what he has done, we needed the change.

"With Liberty, more attention will be on the public and things will get better," he said.

Ferrari's 2017 car will be launched on a filming day at Fiorano on 24 February.

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Merc
    RB
    Fezza
    Macca
    Renault

Pretty much same order as their budget IMO

13. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Mercedes
    Red Bull
    Ferrari
    Toro
    Force India
    Williams
    Renault
    Haas

14. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    RBR.

If you ain't first, you're last!-Ricky Bobby's dad.

15. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    McLaren will be the dark horse, otherwise it will be business as usual. Renault did not find 40bhp this winter and Mercedes weren't sitting on their hands when they put resources into 2017 very early 2016.

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Red Bull
    Mercedes
    Ferrari
    Mclaren
    Toro Rosso
    Force India
    Williams
    Renault
    Haas
    Sauber
    Manor

17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Mercedes
    Red Bull
    McLaren
    Renault
    Ferrari
    Force India
    Toro Rosso
    Williams
    Haas
    Manor
    Sauber

18. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    #18 crinoid, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    I don't predict any major shake up. What I do think we are seeing with the Paddy Lowe move to Williams is Merc bolstering Williams in hopes of getting them to cause trouble for those whom are closing the gap on Merc. Not that Merc wanted the change but allowing it because that's a place that he can go that could still help them to an extent. Ferrari will cling to 3rd. McLaren may improve but probably only just. Williams will maybe slightly improve. I don't care to set my expectations to high. They're making these changes and telling us to expect a shake up. When they do this there's not much of a shake up other than maybe one single team moving up the ranks.

1. Merc
    2. RB
    3. Ferr

19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Mercedes
    Red Bull
    Ferrari
    McLaren
    Williams
    Renault
    Force India
    Toro Rosso
    Haas
    Sauber
    Manor

20. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Man, how Sauber has fallen hard. I remembered when Checo almost beat Alonso at the 2012 Malaysian GP.

McHonda finally in the top 4? I can see that.
    Ferrari slipping back? :(

21. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Sadly, it looks like Williams have knifed themselves in their own back by opting for a pair of drivers that even Manor would be concerned about... I think they will struggle to beat Haas

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good thread!

My bet:

Red Bull
    Mercedes
    Ferrari
    Toro Rosso
    Mclaren
    Force India