Ron Dennis in rumored takeover of Manor F1 | FerrariChat

Ron Dennis in rumored takeover of Manor F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by 375+, Dec 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I think that the days when one single individual could lift a team on his shoulders are long gone, and furthermore that Ron Dennis could well be past his prime, since he has not exactly displayed a capacity to lift McLaren up and above the middle of the grid during the last years after his come-back as a savior...

So more money for Manor, yes; an up-lift thanks to Ron Dennis: well, I have my doubts...

Rgds

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Can't keep him down!

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Ron has backers with deep pockets and would be starting with a clean sheet of paper. He still has great drive and ambition(and ego). I hope that a deal materializes, it would be positive for the sport.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Does he? The main reason he got booted out of Mclaren is because his main backers got fed up with him...

6. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    There's more to it than that, involving his kicking Ojjeh when he looked like he was down and out. Well guess what? He wasn't. Money will follow Dennis.

7. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Knowing what Ron Dennis is like, they'd miss all of their first season's races under him as they'd be too busy tidying up their headquarters to his standards! :p

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't like Ron Dennis at all, but it would probably help improve Manor. Or, if he does terribly, I can laugh at him. Either way, good for the sport. No one really cares about Manor currently; this would at least make them worth following.

9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    maybe he wants to prove something. i love this outrageousness and drama. way more entertaining then watching mercedes cruise off into the sunset.

10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Manor Project 5?

Not a bad idea. Manor is a joke of a team, and RD will be bringing giants pots of cash to the effort.

11. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I have met Ron one time. I know several people who have worked for him.

He is a perfectionist, and he is very disciplined. He knows more about motorsports than probably anyone other than Roger Penske. He knows talent, and how to recruit it.

If Ron Dennis wanted to take over my company I'd give him 50% of it because I think he would more than double our profits and success.

Does he have issues? Sure, who doesn't.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Working for Manor isn't depressing enough?

:)

13. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Good post.

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good for Manor and good for F1

15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yep, good if Ron Dennis can do something for the Cindarela team of F1.

It was almost dead 2 years ago.

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Fresh money is good for Manor, even if it comes from Adolf Hitler. And hey, everybody likes stories of revenge. Or maybe it becomes a comedy if Manor sucks under Ron Dennis.

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ROFL!

Someone knows what's up.

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hahahahha.

The responses in this thread are priceless.

19. Lucky Jones

Lucky Jones Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Manteca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It's not Max Mosley...

20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Chinese might not be so kind to Dennis if he doesn't deliver on his promises. Would be interesting to see if he pursues an Honda supply. Would seem logical unless the japanese are sick of him too.

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, the McLaren shareholders have considered that he is not a perfectionnist any more, but now obsessive and prone to micro-management. And I don't think it is even necessary to write a comparison between the results of the team under Martin Whitmarsh guidance and under him...
    Don' get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for what he has acheived in the past. But the cold hard facts of his last period in Formula One, and by this I mean the results, are simply almost non-existent...
    Perhpas there is less risk of micro-management at Manor than at McLaren, because the team is so small...

Rgds

22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

My ex fully agree's :) Im sure she would have fun listing all of mine :)

23. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The Bernies, Franks, Kens and Rons who made F1 what it is in the 70s and 80s are all now vanishing from the sport, the financial organisations have taken it over and are slowly killing the cash cow those guys actually established as a sideline that evolved from their love of the sport.

F1 will go the way of the Dodo within the next 10 years, money men always end up ruining the things they get get involved in but don't actually understand.

24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    #24 375+, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    That's hitting below the belt--with a belt.

25. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I've never had direct dealing's with Ron Dennis, but I have had indirect dealing's with him and he can be a real pain in the arse!

His treatment of Martin Whitmarsh and subsequent claims of how things would instantly improve now he was back in charge of McLaren were arrogant, disrespectful and disgraceful, and so it served him right that the success didn't come to McLaren as he had predicted.

Saying all of that though, the McLaren Revolt that led to his removal was sad to see and not fitting of all he had done for the team over the years! (in true Rod Dennis style, he didn't help himself in the matter though!).

If this story is true, I suspect he wants to demonstrate to McLaren how wrong they got it in removing him, and to set about beating his old team on track! (I wonder if he will start referring to McLaren as: "The Black Team!" ;) ).

The problem there is, if he has thoughts of building up another McLaren style operation to take them on, I think he's going to struggle severely! As others have mentioned, with all of the talent that McLaren have, they still couldn't find success under Ron's leadership, and Manor are a long way off where McLaren are!

I get the impression that Ron is driven by a need to succeed, and a need to be seen to succeed, to prove a point to the World. I also think that he needs F1 in his life to keep him going.

I still think he has a serious "Wannabe Enzo Ferrari" issue, and he'll probably see this as being the same as when Ferrari left/was kicked out of Alfa Romeo, but if he makes it work then fair play to him!

Should this story be true and actually happen then it'll make a great Ron Howard movie!

I can see it now:

COMING SOON TO A CINEMA NEAR YOU!

FROM THE DIRECTOR OF "RUSH" - RON HOWARD:

"TRANSPORTATION THROUGH A LIFE JOURNEY OF MOTORSPORT AND AUTOMOTIVE MANUFACTURING PARTICIPATION AND ACHIEVEMENT! - THE RON DENNIS STORY!"

;)