Driver predictions for 2017 | FerrariChat

Driver predictions for 2017

Discussion in 'F1' started by Beau365, Dec 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Max Verstappen for his first WDC.

There, I've said it :)

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Renault/tag will make substantial upgrades to their engine so it'll be closer to Mercedes power (at 50hp down, Red Bull has done incredible this year). Mercedes is very close to the development ceiling of that engine. only 5kg more fuel this year, most of which is actually used because of the fatter tires and more aero (both cases more drag = increased fuel consumption)

Going by that I expect Red Bull and Mercedes to be more or less on par, I expect a titanic battle for the title. Red Bull has the upper hand in drivers.

I think Max will come out on top, too. Ricciardo second. Lewis should best Bottas. If he doesn't he'll leave F1 undoubtedly.

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Elton will ballet himself to another title.

4. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I don't think merc will be anywhere near as dominant in 2017. RB have huge advantages in driver line up and aero wizardry. Could be a good fight. If Ferrari can be bothered to try and develop a good car, then it could even be a 3 way battle - wishful I know, but as it's the festive season I'm being positive!

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Newey has always done very well in (aerodynamic) rule changes, so RBR stands a great chance.

Ferrari I'm very curious about. They claim they don't need Paddy Lowe or Ross Brawn. They're either incredibly stupid or Benotti has something up his sleeve.

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hamilton will become Britain's most successful F1 driver with 4 titles and he will set a new benchmark for pole positions

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I hope Ricciardo can challenge for the title, and bag a few wins.
    He is my favourite now.

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Probably correct(yawn).

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Marchionne evidently believes that merely by acting imperiously it will be so. He isn't Enzo or Luca by a long shot, he can talk the talk but . . .

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Watching history in the making isn't anything for me to yawn about

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    History in the making? Driving the dominant car without a serious challenge, how meaningful is that? "History is bunk"

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Mercedes planned for 5 WDC/WCC before withdrawing from F1.

The same plan in 1954, interrupted by the 1955 Le Mans disaster.

13. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    I can see Verstappen taking his first WDC if the RBR is on par with the Mercedes.

Hamilton will have lots of tantrums for sure.
    Very interested to see how Bottas does against Hamilton if he indeed goes to Merc.

I predict Mercedes will not easily take the WCC, and may even go to RBR.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Alonso will be in the comeback
    Vettel will lose to Kimi
    Ferrari will be fast but break or crash their way out
    Hamilton will whine about his cars and the rule changes
    Max could actually do it.

15. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Don't worry, F1 fans will be doing it for you

Can't think of anyone more boring than Elton. Here's hoping he has his hands full next year with bottles, and ends up getting beat to the title by anyone at all

16. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    McLaren and Red Bull fight for the championship.

Renault/Tag add more power and figure it out. With their ridiculously good chassis, they'll be on top.

McLaren get the wider car to help cool that power unit and can finally keep up.

Merc dominance is over. Free engine development helps everyone else catch up.

Ferrari...well....

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't like that position. People say that about great boxers also - oh his opponents were this or that; so and so had better competition.

Hamilton can't control the other teams or what his competitors do. If he delivers, he should get the recognition.

18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Cannot compare boxing where 100% of the result is down to the individual imposing his will and skill over the other. There is Zero technical assistance.

In modern F1, the best car with a good driver wins.

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It's exactly the same actually. You can't control what is out of your control. All you can control is your own performance.

20. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Agree

21. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

As someone who has been involved in the fight game for the past 22 years, I will disagree.

A top car will carry and mask an average driver.
    An average fighter cannot be masked or carried.

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm a huge fight fan also. Average fighters are masked for YEARS with careful opponent selection, proper publicity, careful weight class selection, the influence of different promoters and corrupt sanctioning bodies, etc. Either way you are still missing the point...

As a racing driver, I can tell you that your position is hypocritical. There is no course of action Lewis could take to satisfy your criticism. By your own statement, the car is too large of the equation. Would he jump in a Manor and try to beat a Sauber in a pillow fight to the death?

How about the fact that the last time he was in a spec series he kicked ass? How about his dominance as a karter?

Then again, that is so long ago it discredits any progress he has made since then. See how there is no way to satisfy you and that your criticism is unfair?

Again, all he can do is his best in the car he has...he can't control what the other teams and drivers are doing.

Tell me which driver today is average and being masked by a top car? I can't name one on Merc, RB, or Ferrari. You have 3 world champions, one vacant spot, and likely two future world champions.

23. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I have been actively financing fight events, but that's another topic for another day.

We just don't know about Lewis in F1, as he's always been in a top-tier car.

Other WDC's have proved themselves in average or donkey cars, ala Schumacher, Senna.

And in this respect, the jury is still out on LH in F1.

24. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Were Hamilton an average driver, I don't think he'd still be on a top-tier team. He also wouldn't be making nearly as much money as he is currently.

There would be no need to retain an average driver for top-driver pay.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A basic truth some on here can't fathom