Exclusive: Ferrari's $100 Million F1 Bonus At Risk | FerrariChat

Exclusive: Ferrari's $100 Million F1 Bonus At Risk

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jan 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I think Ferrari is still in a position of strength here. F1 needs them. They are still the most popular team on the grid.

3. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    As much as I love Ferrari, this privilege is a bit last century and no longer warranted. Also, given how non-spectacular SF has been over recent years it proves there is more to winning than just having the biggest budget.
    Ferrari should therefore not be too concerned if its current preferential $ arrangement comes to an end, and should embrace a new dynamic with a fresh challenge.

4. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Interesting spin about how they'd be better off without $100M I can't believe people can do this with a straight face.
    Spending cap? "wasting" money on competing technology? This could be worse than Bernie.

5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I believe F1 is going to change for the worst from what we loved in the past!!

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

Ferrari should shut the critics by accepting to abandon its privilege.

Its financial advantage is unfair and will always be questioned.

Its future success would look more remarkable for it.

7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1-- time for Ferrari to grow up so to speak. The future under Liberty will be interesting. Im glad they want more races and are willing to promote it. The question is will the 'new ' rules actually yield better racing which is what the sport needs. Someone will always get it right but we need a series with more than 1 team/car that is winning. 3 more years of Mercedes is not the formula for success for Liberty. I know that might be reality if other teams do not make a car that can win......

8. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Personal biased "emotional" perspective: Yes it sucks.

F1 "non" biased Perspective and Liberty future : I have to think Sauber, Force India, Manor etc. could use this money....think how they have been feeling all this time and when it actually goes into effect. Maybe, just maybe, Lotus and Caterham comes back just to put more cars on the track....if its possible. If Merc. pulls out and is just an engine supplier, some of these teams in the back can buy the engine. It puts even more pressure on Ferrari to succeed which is a good thing.

9. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    F1 is dog eat dog. It always has been. And when it comes to value to F1, Ferrari is top dog. I see no reason why they should give up what they earned over the decades.

10. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Today's kids are now tuning in because of celebrities like Hamilton, not because of evocative scarlet machines built from a romantic Modena cowshed and run by a swashbuckling mercurial plutocrat.
    Sadly, Ferrari is now just one of many global brands with merchandise, albeit a brand with great history. And history is where it's F1 privilege will probably remain.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

Ferrari, the mythical team, died when Enzo Ferrari passed away.

Since, it's just another team ran by a corporation cashing in on past history.

12. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Ferraris $100m blood money is totally unfair and should go. Equally the fact that only the top 10 teams get prize money is unfair. Both need to change.

13. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    It's bad enough that we have government-sponsored GPs. Now we could end up with the Vodafone Grand Prix of Belgium! With pervasive, hyper-transparent marketing of everything, the F1 sport will be deprecated to nothing more than a tweet, though the decline in viewers (which I found startling) noted in Forbes perhaps is evidence that that has already happened.

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #14 DeSoto, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    I think it would be fair if McLaren didn´t get their own smaller historical bonus, if Mercedes didn´t get their "pay me or I´ll leave half the grid without engines" bonus and Red Bull didn´t get their "I have more money than God and have two teams" bonus. I can´t see any of them accepting that.

The problem is that teams can reach their own separate agreement with Ecclestone, so political influence prevails over sport and fairness. In an ideal world, the business part of the sport should only be dealed by the sporting authorities.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Let's hope Liberty will look into that and put it right, for the benefit of the sport.

17. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    If Ferrari ever leaves F1 there will be no sport.

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

To that, I would reply that when a participant is given an unfair advantage, it's not a sport.

I really would like your assertion put to the test, because I don't believe it's true.

Maybe Liberty will call their bluff, and we will see if F1 dies then.

19. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I truly believe that millions will be lost in sponsorships due to the fact that less people will be watching and following the sport.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

In my view, it's pure speculation.

With or without Ferrari, F1 is going through some sort of crisis.

It just needs to evolve into something appealing to the public of today, and I hope that Liberty will think about making changes, instead of repeating the same recipe year after year.

21. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Ferrari may threaten to leave, but they would be fools to leave F1.
    They generate mega $$$ from F1 and ancillary sales by association.
    Ferrari will not be leaving F1.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I believe that both Ferrari and F1 would survive if the Scuderia was to pull out.

I think their participation in F1 has very little relevance in Ferrari sales.

Many Ferrari owners have no interest in F1, from what I hear.

23. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm amused that some think Ferrari would simply turn its back on $100M. You do understand that it's being run by a green eyeshade accountant, and that he'd simply close up shop, right?

"Right, lads! Not a problem. Do you prefer cheque or cash, then?"

24. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Success in any racing series is all about pushing the rules to the edge and getting the so-called "unfair advantage". That's always been the case with racing. And regarding sport, A lot of the sport is technical and some of it is the driver.

If you're thinking "Man, this guy is an over the top Ferrari home boy" you would be correct.

25. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Ferrari has more power than the new owners realize.
    If it were possible to take money away then Bernie
    would have figured it out well before these guys :)